Honored Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Well, the Raiders managed to save their season last night (barely!) They were in a win or go four games behind scenario and they were trailing in the fourth quarter. Then they launched a seemingly never-ending last drive that was extended several times by penalties, but managed to eke out the win with no time on the clock. The fans of both teams likely had several heart attacks as touchdowns were scored, taken back by penalties, the drive stopped, then extended by penalties, and finally the game tying touchdown and the game winning extra point (that barely eked in just insde the upright.) It was a pretty impressive Thursday night game.

Marshall Lynch managed to get himself ejected from the game by coming off the bench and trying to break up a fight, but he moved an official out of his way and you don't touch officials. He'll get a fine and may even have to sit out a game as a result of those moves.The league doesn't like players coming off the bench and they really don't like the officials being touched.

The Raiders saved their season (for now anyway) in dramatic fashion and next up will be the Redskins on Monday night to save their season. A loss by the Redskins on Monday would drop them three games back with some really tough games (Cowboys, Seahawks, Vikings) looming.

The Raiders are still two games back, but they've managed to stay in the hunt with that win. The Chiefs have now lost two in a row and need a win next week against the Broncos to stop that slide. Both winning and losing can become contagious. You like it when you're winning, but when those losses start to pile up, it can become challenging to stop the slide. The Raiders had been on a four game losing streak and barely managed to break it last night. The Raiders have a pretty tough stretch of games coming up so they'll have to play at a high level the rest of the way through to stay in this thing. They've got to make up two full games on the Chiefs and that won't be easy. It should be fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Chiefs Kingdom reeling today but proud of the tug o war effort last night. But, we didn't get it done. Penalties. We have one player in particular who is a bit of a hothead/impulsive emotional and I was screaming at the screen to tell him to cut it out!  Frankly, I'm at the point where I wonder if his value still outweighs his liability...

SIGH

Honored Contributor

What a wild and crazy game that Chiefs/Raiders game was....thought that last play would go on forever...LOL!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Chiefs Kingdom reeling today but proud of the tug o war effort last night. But, we didn't get it done. Penalties. We have one player in particular who is a bit of a hothead/impulsive emotional and I was screaming at the screen to tell him to cut it out!  Frankly, I'm at the point where I wonder if his value still outweighs his liability...

SIGH

Football is a game best played with emotion and passion, but too much can cause trouble. Finding players who know where to draw that line can be a challenge. Very often the best players play right on the edge of too much passion and emotion. You want players with a bit of an edge to them, but too much and they become a liability.

A team of robotic players who play emotionless football would likely lose every game. Likewise a team of all highly impassioned players who don't know where to draw the line would likely lose every game due to dumb penalties. You need a mix of both types. I think you need more emotionless players on offense and more of the lunatic fringe on defense, but even then there needs to be a mix. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to say how much I am enjoying Tony Romo teamed up with Jim Nantz! Romo's genuine enthusiasm for the game is contagious...not just for the viewer but for Nantz as well! I have never seen Nantz as animated as he has been these last weeks with Romo....they are really good together. Last night during that wild finish their commentary was pure perfection! 

Trusted Contributor

@yellowBeetle  I wholeheartedly agree about Tony Romo in the broadcast booth! He's a delight - his enthusiasm, knowledge, passion for the game, and ability to speak from his football perspective so that we can get inside the heads of the players/coaches has made me love to watch CBS games again. I think Nantz needs to get his A-game on, cuz Tony is running rings around him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@LonestarBabs wrote:

SIGH

Football is a game best played with emotion and passion, but too much can cause trouble. Finding players who know where to draw that line can be a challenge. Very often the best players play right on the edge of too much passion and emotion. You want players with a bit of an edge to them, but too much and they become a liability.

A team of robotic players who play emotionless football would likely lose every game. Likewise a team of all highly impassioned players who don't know where to draw the line would likely lose every game due to dumb penalties. You need a mix of both types. I think you need more emotionless players on offense and more of the lunatic fringe on defense, but even then there needs to be a mix. 

@gardenman

Think of the Raiders of old when John Madden was the coach.  He had some real characters on the team.  I loved reading Madden's books---he told about one player coming to practice on a horse....and another visited him at his home, and told him "coach, I brought you a present"---it was a stop sign from down the block---LOL!!!  But he had some good players too....so I guess it takes a mix of all kinds and personalities to make a team!!!   

Which brings it to an interesting point when one of the analyst was discussing why the Raiders were playing so poorly during their losing streak....and the analyst said it has to be lack of team chemistry because they look perfect on paper.....And perhaps last night they finally came together and played like a real team! Even Beastmode's running from the bench to protect his QB---bad move pushing a ref though......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs @yellowBeetle

Even me a Redskin fan has to admit that I am also really enjoying Tony Romo in the broadcast booth---he is informative, engaging, and provides insights that other analyst dont talk about, and he's witty and funny too....he and Nantz make a great team....

Honored Contributor

Add me to the Romo admirers too. It makes you realize how bad the other color guys are. Romo still has a passion for the game and it shows. You don't hear anything like that from the other guys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Add me to the Romo admirers too. It makes you realize how bad the other color guys are. Romo still has a passion for the game and it shows. You don't hear anything like that from the other guys.

@gardenman

You mean like Troy Aikman who talks in a monotone and seems really bored......... Smiley Wink