Honored Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Here's an interesting question---Was McCarthy right about "not the response you would expect" when none of the Cowboys seemed to react or come to the defense of their QB after Bostic's dirty hit on their QB Dalton?????  Did it show a lack of "team"?????? Or were players just afraid of getting fined or ejected????

You want your players annoyed when something like that happens. Jason Peters earned the nickname "The Bodyguard" after a Redskin took a cheapshot at an Eagles QB quite a few years back and he made it clear that was unacceptable. If Tyron Smith or Zack Martin were playing, you'd have likely seen a response. A rookie center, kid o-linemen, and a QB they aren't married to, was just a bad combination. You might have seen a different reaction if it was Dak. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Time for a bit of a look at where things stand with week seven now in the books. Parity has arrived with nearly every division having two or more teams within a game of each other. The AFC West is the sole exception. The Chiefs have a three-game lead and it's hard to see anyone catching them.

The NFC West is anyone's to win with all four teams within a game of each other and none looking drastically better than the rest. I trust Russell Wilson more than the rest of the QBs out there but the Cards may sneak up and surprise everyone. The Niners and the Rams have QBs who are a bit iffy to me. The Niners debated getting into the Tom Brady bidding war this past offseason and as they watch him in Tampa, they may be wishing they had.

The NFC North is largely a two-team race with the Bears and Packers. I suspect the Packers will get the edge there as Rodgers is more consistent than Foles. Nick Foles can play with anyone when he's hot, but when he's not, he's really not. Rodgers is always good. The Lions are paying okay and might save Matt Patricia's job one more year. The Vikings have melted. They're supposed to be a defense-first team and they've given up the fourth-most points in the NFC.

The NFC South looks like it'll come down to the Saints and Bucs and the two grizzled old vets at QB. It's been a weird year for the Saints. They started out with the team turning on Drew Brees for saying he was going to stand for the National Anthem and explaining why. Now their best wide receiver, Michael Thomas is supposedly on the trading block. There might be some stuff going on in that locker room that could prove disruptive down the road. The Bucs have brought in a hand grenade with the pin out in Antonio Brown. What could possibly go wrong there? Ask Pittsburgh, Buffalo, the Raiders, or New England. Can the Bucs find a way to manage Brown? If yes, they have one of the best wide receivers in the league added to their arsenal. If not, then all heck can break loose.

The NFC East is something of a trainwreck. Injuries have ravaged the presumed top two teams in Philly and Dallas. The Eagles are starting to get healthy again however and could/should pull away a bit. They found some good kids to fill in and the future looks okay in Philly. The Cowboys have no real defense and their offense is not looking good without Dak Prescott at the helm. I'm not sure there's a win left on the Cowboys' schedule. The WFT are still a bit iffy at QB with Haskins benched and demoted to third-string and Kyle Allen now behind the center. The Cowboys had been averaging giving up 36+  points to everyone (including the Giants who scored 34 somehow) but only gave up 25 to the WFT. Should the WFT have scored more? Probably. The Giants are largely an afterthought now. They can be competitive in some games, but something's missing there. I'm not sure what it is. Confidence? Killer instinct? I think the Eagles take the division with the WFT in second, the Giants third, and the Cowboys bringing up the rear.

On the AFC side of things, the AFC East looks like it belongs to Buffalo with the Bills having a two-game lead over the Dolphins (who are playing very good on defense this year giving up the second-fewest points in the league.) A good defense should keep the Dolphins competitive this year as they transition to Tua. Ryan Fitzpatrick helped them get their three wins, but he's far from the most reliable QB in the league. When he's good he's unbeatable, but when he's cold, he's really cold. Tua gives them the best chance moving forward. The Patriots are finding out just how good Tom Brady was. Cam Newton's not a bad QB, but he's hot and cold and lately, he's been cold. They've fallen three games behind the Bills and may end up below five hundred this year. The Jets are playing for the first overall pick in the draft. They could easily go 0-16.

In the AFC North, you've got a three-team race for the top between the Steelers, Ravens, and Browns. The Bengals could be right up there also, but they manage to somehow find a way to lose games in the last minute or so. They could claw their way back into the fight if they manage to stop doing that. I think the Steelers are the best overall team, but the Ravens are right behind them. The Browns may be the most talented team, but they need to keep everything working right and that hasn't been their strong suit. I really like what I've seen from the Bengals. Joe Burrow is a legit NFL QB. He just needs some help around him.

The AFC South is largely a two-team race between the Titans and Colts. The Titans are playing smash-mouth football and doing it well. Ryan Tannehill has somehow turned into a productive QB after languishing in Miami. The Colts need Philip Rivers to play well. The Jags and Texans are largely playing for next year. The Texans have bled too much talent over the last couple of years. The Jags are back into looking for a QB mode.

The AFC West is all KC. They're not suffering from a Super Bowl hangover and are playing really good football. Andy's built a solid roster and they're meshing well. The Raiders are coming on and getting better but may need another year or two. The Chargers have an ace in Justin Herbert while the Broncos are staggering a bit.

Each conference will get seven playoff teams this season and my best guess as to the playoff teams for the AFC now would be KC, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland, Tennessee, and Indy.

On the NFC side, I'd guess Seattle, Arizona, Green Bay, Tampa Bay, New Orleans, Philly, and the LA Rams. (I suspect the cold Nick Foles will cost Chicago a few more games than they can afford to lose. Chicago could sneak in as the NFC West teams cannibalize one another later in the season. It'll be close.) 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

It depends on who you talk to concerning Michael Thomas. Sean Payton has denied that Thomas will be traded, but some analysts say otherwise. We should know more closer to the trade deadline.

Carlos Dunlap wants to get out of Cincinnati. He would be a good addition to any team needing more defense. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

There's lots of trade chatter going on. The Cowboys have reportedly put the "For Sale" sign up on half the team. The problem is many of their guys are too overpaid.

There's talk of the Eagles sending Alshon Jeffery to New England with a sixth-round pick to get back a seventh-round pick. Essentially send his half-season salary to New England and clear a roster space at the cost of going from the sixth round to the seventh. Not a horrible deal for Philly if they can pull it off. If Alshon leaves the Patriots in free agency and gets a new deal elsewhere they could get a fifth-round compensatory pick. Kind of a win-win for everyone. (Also why the Eagles might just hold onto him in the hope of getting that fifth-round compensatory pick next year. They've already paid half his salary and gotten nothing, throw him out there, see if he can play, and maybe get a fifth-round pick back when he leaves.)

The Jets are reportedly selling off whatever they can. Lots of names are floating around out there. We'll have to see if any moves are made. Rumors are easier to make than trades. 

Guys who get traded are often guys on the tail-end of their contract who will be free agents this year or next. With so many teams now focused on compensatory picks and unlikely to invest too heavily in free agents in 2021 due to the reduced cap, holding onto those guys to get a third, fourth or fifth-round compensatory pick might make more sense than unloading them for a pick now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw 

We get to see if Chris Cooley is right (Landon Collins isnt needed).....Collins is out for the season and will have achilles surgery Monday......

These are a couple of ODD statements/concerns---

Jeff Garcia not only criticized Cam Newton's play but also the way he dresses----SAY WHAT?!?!?!?....Cam's got a lot more problems with his ON-FIELD performance let alone worrying about changing his attire that draws less attention.... Cam has stood firm and said he won't change the way he dresses....

Of course I don't know if I would seriously consider someone that achieved their fame in the CFL and was more of a journeyman than Fitzpatrick ... and according to NFL records, "He never sniffed a Super Bowl," (he lost in a Wild Card game) at least Cam was in one...although on the losing end of that game.....

* Offseason and/or practice squad member only

Now let's turn to the Boyz and Jerry's shut up and let me answer moment.....Jerry Jones made an appearance on 105.3 The Fan Radio Show and was asked about McCarthy and leadership issues:

Jerry said..."We wanted someone that, in case the you-know-what hit the fan, had the credibility and had the doability to stand tall and strong as the head coach" ...He's doing that in the face of adversity." Jerry Jones was pressed on topic in follow-up questions. "Well, shut up and let me answer. No. ...You're not asking me that. I gave you the answer. When I go into the locker room, there's no leadership void in my eyes. Now, that's your answer. Let's move on."---- JERRY'S GETTING CRANKY---maybe he's finally realized his team is NOT going to the Super Bowl this year!!!! 

Jones would apologize to the hosts before the interview came to an end, but it seems his belief that he hired the right head coach may not be enough to overcome the frustration that a 2-5 start to the season has created for the Cowboys owner.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I really can't  blame Jerry Jones for getting frustrated. Part of it is his own fault with contracts and drafts,  but injuries aren't helping his team, either.  The Cowboys are always in the spotlight, but this time it's not in a good way. That's got to be affecting Jones' attitude. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I agree with your analysis and projected playoff picture so far.........................

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I really can't  blame Jerry Jones for getting frustrated. Part of it is his own fault with contracts and drafts,  but injuries aren't helping his team, either.  The Cowboys are always in the spotlight, but this time it's not in a good way. That's got to be affecting Jones' attitude. 

@teganslaw 

Jerry the GM created his own hell....by going with the "flash and dash" instead of paying attention to key areas of the team that needed updating..... Just think of the mess they'd be in if they had drafted Johnny Manziel instead of focusing on the O-line (Stephen Jones really saved the day...Jerry had Manziel's name on the draft card at least the Cowboys ended up being a decent team with a good o-line, RB, for awhile)....but now with Jerry making the key decisions its time to "pay the piper".......  Dan Snyder did much of the same after Joe Gibbs left......two peas in a pod.....

Honored Contributor

The Cowboys refused to pay Dak, overpaid Demarcus Lawrence, Elliott, their linebackers, and a few of their o-linemen. They let four quality defensive starters walk in free agency. Tried to replace them with guys were at their best in 2015. They hired a "name"head coach who then hired Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator.

Nolan has an "interesting" history as a DC.  He first became one in 93-96 with the Giants, then to the Redskins for 97-99, then to the Jets in 2000. Next was the Ravens DC from 2002-2004. The Broncos in 2009. The Dolphins in 2010-2011. The Falcons 2012-2014. And now back to the Cowboys in 2020 as DC. He's also been a linebacker, wide receiver, and a head coach in the NFL. A guy with that kind of a history, only lasting a year or two at most stops, is a bit alarming.

The Cowboys have made a lot of bad decisions in recent years. The decision making seems to be getting worse too. They lucked into Dak Prescott. They'd originally thought Wentz would drop to them at four. Then the Eagles jumped up to second to get Wentz. Then they thought they could grab Paxton Lynch in the second round, only to have the Broncos jump up ahead of them to get him. Then they targeted Christian Hackenberg in the third round, only to see the Jets take him. Then Jacoby Brissett went to the Patriots, Cody Kessler went to the Browns, Connor Cook went to the Raiders, and the Cowboys largely defaulted into Dak. He was the best of what was left. He turned out be better than most of the rest, but at the time the Dallas draft room was frustrated as QB after QB went off the board.

There is no quick fix for the Cowboys. They made a luxury pick in taking CeeDee Lamb this year. They didn't have a need at WR. They had a lot of other needs. They need talented young o-linemen, lots of defensive help, and more, but they took a wide receiver instead. Eh. Not the smartest move. They're looking at needing multiple good drafts in a row to rebuild their defense. That's not so easy to do.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Interesting. The Cowboys have traded Everson Griffen to the Lions for a conditional sixth-round pick. He's played reasonably well for the Cowboys with 2.5 sacks on the year. Demarcus Lawrence has just two sacks on the year so far. Interesting timing. The Cowboys are a half-game out of first place, playing the first-place team this weekend, and they trade one of their better defenders for a conditional sixth-round pick next year. The sixth-round pick could become a fifth-round pick if Griffen meets certain goals. He's not terribly expensive at $6 million a year with just $3 million left this year. 

I guess JJ is giving up on this season. I don't blame him necessarily, but this is a bit of a surprise. Everson Griffen hasn't been the problem for the Cowboys on the field. There are lots of players playing a whole lot worse than he was.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!