Honored Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

The Niners are spanking the Patriots so far. The cold Cam Newton showed up today. The debate over whether Brady made Belichick or Belichick made Brady is looking more and more like Brady made Belichick. Players largely tolerated Belichick's somewhat draconian methods because they won. Will the players be as tolerant when they're losing? Things could get pretty interesting in New England. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Jerry Jones loves to have a problem child on his team...sadly, Kaepernick is just the type of drama king he likes...heaven help us if that ever happens! We hope Dak is back soon.
Honored Contributor

The good news for Cowboy fans is that Andy Dalton's fuzziness seemed to have vanished by the time the game was over. He was pretty dazed-looking as they helped him off the field and to the locker room. I kind of figured he'd stay in DC for a day or two rather than risk a plane flight with him, but they flew him home, so that was a good sign. That makes it a little more likely he'll be able to play Sunday night.

Flying with an acute concussion is often not a great idea as the reduced cabin air pressure can cause issues. Some concussions bring brain bleeding with them and reduced cabin pressures can exacerbate the bleeding and you don't want that. Either they scanned him with an MRI before the flight to determine there was no bleeding, or they didn't care enough to protect him and took a chance on him not dying on the flight home. (I like to think they had him scanned first, but you never know.)

The Cowboys still have Ben DiNucci and Garrett Gilbert on the roster, so they probably don't have to add anyone else. Andy Dalton was ready to fly back to Dallas after the concussion so that implies he wasn't as badly injured as initially feared. He may be ready to play again this Sunday or more likely next week, so adding yet another QB is probably unnecessary. 

Would they consider a Colin Kaepernick? Probably not. As much as JJ likes "name" players, he doesn't like distractions and Kaepernick is a nonstop distraction. JJ isn't a protest friendly owner either and Kaepernick would still insist on protesting. A trade for a guy could happen with Ryan Fitzpatrick being one possible target. If they trade for a guy though they pretty much have to cut Dalton loose as it would be a show of nonconfidence in Dalton. Not that he's given them much reason to have confidence in him.

Kudos to the Cards for pulling out the game last night. They're becoming a very good team. DK Metcalf running down Budda Baker after that interception was impressive. I'm not sure if the Cards defense planned that interception or if it was blind luck. They had their defenders bunched in the middle of the field and left the receiver on the right sideline uncovered. At the snap, Russell Wilson just lofted an easy toss over there, but Budda Baker had broken for the receiver at the snap and got there as the ball arrived and snatched it up.

Did they know Russell Wilson would just loft the ball over there and make it an easy interception?  Or were they late getting into position and just lucked into it? If they baited Russell Wilson into the throw by leaving the guy uncovered, then kudos to them for film study and bravery. It worked either way, but if they were just late covering the guy it's a lot less impressive than it would have been if they'd studied film and discovered Wilson would just loft the ball to an uncovered receiver and had worked with Baker in practice to time it out just right. One thing's for sure though, the next time there's an uncovered receiver, he'd best be prepared for a fastball from Russell Wilson. No more easy lob passes to an uncovered guy will be coming from Russell Wilson. You can fool him once, but good luck trying it again. The next uncovered guy in the red zone will be catching a missile from Russell Wilson.

One more game tonight and then this week will be in the books. It should be a good one tonight with the Bears taking on the Rams. Both teams really need the win, so it should be a hard-fought game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Good game last night! Metcalf running down Budda Baker will probably be one of the highlights of the 2020 football season. 

The Steelers are the only undefeated team, and it was luck that the Titans missed the game tying field goal. 

Good news about Dalton. I haven't heard what the NFL will do about Bostic. Most likely a huge fine and maybe suspension.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

It sounds like the league will be content with just a fine for Bostic. He had no prior incidents in seven years, so they're not overly concerned that he's a bad guy, He just made a bad decision this time. 

OBJ is out now with a torn ACL which could actually be good for him. If he stayed healthy there was no guaranteed money left on his contract. The injury language though means he would have to pass a physical; on the third day of the league year, since that's unlikely with the torn ACL his salary for 2021 becomes guaranteed. It's one of those good news/bad news situations for him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw @gardenman 

Yep, thats what I heard on GMF that the league will be content with Bostic being ejected from the game and a big fine...... suspension is unlikely....thats what Ian Rapoport said who knows all about suspensions having dealt with one by the NFL Network for a comment he made on Twitter...😄 (google it for more details-topic does not meet QVC Forum standards) ☺

WOW! What a game Seahawks/Cardinals....I didnt see that coming either...

Yep, Metcalf's running down Baker brought back memories of a Redskin player by the name of Darrell Green catching Tony Dorsett.....AHHH the Joe Gibbs years....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z-TBQmqp24

WTG Coach Rivera he completed his chemo treatments and got to ring the bell--- wishing him all the best and total remission....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Since we got a Bye Week coming up I can revel in that Dallas VICTORY a bit--- Some great comments from Hog Haven---Please indulge me a bit... I apologize...but we fans cherish every team victory over those Dallas "How Bout Dem" Cowboys.... Woman Very Happy

The ENTIRE offensive line were STUDS Sunday. Part of this was the removal of both turnstiles Wes Martin(a fan favorite coming into the 2020 season) and Geron Christian Sr., who has struggled, albeit not as bad as Martin, this year. Brandon Scherff and Morgan Moses were absolute beasts. Roullier was his normal, solid self. Both Schweitzer and Lucas looked incredibly in sync playing next to one another for the first time this season. Lucas was VERY solid locking down the left side, and showed well in both run blocking and pass protection on the afternoon. I hope Rivera leaves this unit intact after our bye week!

Montez Sweat - Sweat is having himself one heck of a season, and his exceptional performance continued on Sunday against the Cowboys. On the afternoon, Sweat collected three tackles, two sacks(for a loss of 20 total yards), a forced fumble on one of his sacks, two tackles for a loss and three quarterback hits. He now has five sacks(should be 6) and two forced fumbles over seven games.

Chase Young - Young didn’t record a sack for the third consecutive game he played in, but he had a MAJOR impact again Sunday. He tied for the team lead in tackles with six, had one for a loss, and multiple pressures.

Cole Holcomb - Holcomb was a complete lightning rod for this defense, flying all over the field and making plays. He played 70 percent of the defensive snaps, and registered five tackles, one for a loss, a sack, two quarterback hits, one interception and a pass defended. If he can start putting things together, we just may have something!

Ron Rivera - The man has fought cancer and still is on the sidelines for each game! His treatments are finally over and prayers go out to him that he’s beaten the disease.

Some of the decisions this staff made to start the season were head-scratching, but it looks like they are coming back down to reality. Pulling guys like Wes Martin and Troy Apke were moves that HAD to be made, and now that they have been, we are seeing more competent play from those positions. Inserting Cole Holcomb at linebacker really gave this defense some buzz. Heck, even Cam Sims at wide receiver is paying dividends.

- I know it’s REALLY easy to pile on Scott Turner when things are not going well, but understand that the pieces are NOT in place for us to be successful against the better teams in the league. As you can see from Sunday, this offense works when players execute.

- I gave the entire O-Line Stud status above, and for good reason, but I do want to single out the play of Lucas at left tackle - which I feel was pretty darn good! In his first start of the 2020 season, the veteran looked right at home, and did a hell of a job in both pass pro and run blocking. He needs to remain in the starting lineup moving forward!

- McKissic ran hard against the Cowboys, and caught both of his targets for 16 yards. He was a nice compliment to Gibson on the afternoon.

- Tim Settle continues to make his presence known up front. He only played 36% of the defensive snaps, but he recorded a sack, a tackle for loss, a quarterback hit and plugged up run lanes when he was in the game.

- Ryan Kerrigan looked like he was simply going through the motions out there(I commented about this on Twitter) until he collected a sack later in the game. He had two tackles, one for a loss, a sack and a quarterback hit on the afternoon.

- Ronald Darby continues to play well, both in coverage and run support. Many were worried when we signed the veteran as a free agent, but he’s done nothing but impress so far through seven games.

- Landon Collins was playing well, including a strip-sack that resulted in a safety for Washington, until he exited the game with a torn Achilles that will end his 2020 season.

- Deshazor Everett is starting to play very well in place of Troy Apke at safety. One thing I can say, is when he comes down-hill to hit you, he REALLY brings the hammer...unlike Apke who prefers to RIDE his man to the ground.

- Kamren Curl looked good playing as a two-deep true safety when Collins left with injury. It looks like the rookie can take over in Collins’ absence, and if his play so far this season is any indication, we all may be in for a pleasant surprise.

Bostic's dirty play---The play resulted in Bostic being ejected(a small price to pay for his egregious act). There is NO place in the game for that type of hit, and I hope he loses his spot in the starting lineup, and money from his wallet, for that play!

And even Bloggin The Boys gave a kudos to our EXCEPTIONAL PUNTER, Tress Ways--- Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Here's an interesting question---Was McCarthy right about "not the response you would expect" when none of the Cowboys seemed to react or come to the defense of their QB after Bostic's dirty hit on their QB Dalton?????  Did it show a lack of "team"?????? Or were players just afraid of getting fined or ejected????

Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@redwingsgal 

HOW BOUT THEM LIONS!!! ROAR LIONS ROAR!!!

Thanks, @Spurt 

WHAT A GAME!!  I cannot remember the last two game win streak we had!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Trusted Contributor

Since there's nothing to cheer about for the Cowboys this year (except for all of those injured to get well) I'm at least happy to cheer for my former OU Sooners.  So glad that Baker and Kyler had wonderful wins yesterday.  Go Browns and Cards!