Honored Contributor

Week Seven of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with an epic NFC East battle between the Giants and the Eagles at Barely Anyone's There Stadium in Philadelphia. The few players left of the Eagles take on the few players left of the Giants in an epic showdown of their respective teams' medical staffs. The Eagles anticipate starting a whopping two of their original eleven offensive starters in this game while the Giants should be in slightly better shape. (This just in, up to four Eagles starters may try to play on offense! Whoo hoo!) The Giants defense will look to exploit Eagles right guard Jamon Brown who single-handedly sacked Carson Wentz twice last week and did everything possible to show why he was not on an active roster. If public humiliation can motivate a player to play better, we should see Jamon Brown step up his game (assuming he has game, which may be assuming a lot) as no player in the history of the league has ever been as thoroughly humiliated in public. The butt fumble guys on the Jets are now an afterthought thanks to Jamon Brown. Despite essentially fielding a third or fourth string team, the Eagles are playing among the best in the NFC East with a point differential of just -34. (The Cowboys are -45, the Giants -51, and the WFT -55.) Kudos to the WFT by the way for seeing how this year would go and opting not to name the team so the future whoever they are, aren't burdened by this year's record. Who will win this game? I'm going with what's left of the Eagles. Carson Wentz has picked up the team and is dragging them, literally in some cases, ahead.

Next up are the Steelers and the Titans in a game that should be good and help to wipe out the memory of that awful Thursday night game. Both teams are 5-0 and would have made for a great Thursday night matchup. (Note to schedule makers, you're all fired!) I'm not sure why this is a one o'clock Sunday game, but it should be the best game of the week. I'm going with the Titans in this one.

Up next the Dissension, er Dallas Cowboys go to the WFT to try and see which team is the worst in the NFC East. The Cowboy players have now turned on the coaching staff and an open revolt is taking place. Mike McCarthy wants the players to come to him one on one to discuss their issues. Yeah, that'll happen. Players aren't that stupid. Well, not most of them anyway. When a player goes to the head coach and says, "You're a bad coach!" That player is gone. Who will win this game? Anyone who doesn't watch. I'll give an edge to the WFT. That Dallas defense is so bad anyone can put up 30+ points on them and their offense is doing nothing with Andy Dalton.

Buffalo gets kind of a bye this week by playing the New York 'We're Losing for Trevor Lawrence' Jets. The "For Sale" sign on Sam Darnold is up and the Jets are just killing time and fan enthusiasm until the 2021 draft takes place. If there's a player on the Jets your team covets, now's the time to make an offer. Everyone must go! Easy Pay options are available! I'd take the Bills. Heck, I'd take the Bills Cheerleaders over the Jets.

In an interesting game, Carolina takes on New Orleans. Teddy Bridgewater (who the Vikings would kind of like to have back now) left the Saints in free agency and is now the starter for Carolina where Matt Rhule has turned things around pretty quickly. The Saints seem to have shaken off the early season rust and are playing better. This could be a pretty good game. I'll take the Saints, but the upset here wouldn't shock me.

Green Bay goes to Houston in a game that looked a lot better before the season started. Two good quarterbacks in this one, but Houston has pretty much nothing but JJ Watt and DeShaun Watson, and the Packers have a bit more. I'll take the Packers.

Cleveland goes to Cincinnati. The Bengals have a legitimately good young QB in Joe Burrow. They also have some dissension in the locker room with wide receiver John Ross wanting a trade. Ross is mostly known for his fast 40 time at the combine a few years back and being injured. He hasn't shown much as a player. I'm not completely sold on the Browns, but they have more talent. I'll take the Browns in this one, but the Bengals might just beat them.

The Lions go to the Falcons. The Falcons finally succeeded in getting Dan Quinn fired while the Lions are still trying to get Matt Patricia fired. Both teams are coming off a win last week. I'm giving the slightest edge to the Falcons this week.

Seattle goes to Arizona in another good matchup. The Cards crushed Dallas while not playing especially well. Russell Wilson doesn't know what it is to not play well. The Seahawks are undefeated. This is kind of a toss-up to me. Both teams will really want this win to show the other one who's boss in the NFC West. I guess I'll take the Cards.

The Jags take on the Chargers in a battle of one-win teams. Someone will likely emerge with double their current win total. I think I'll take Justin Herbert and the Chargers.

The Niners at 3-3 take on the Patriots at 2-3. This season isn't really going how either team hoped. A loss by either team puts them in a tough spot to win their division. We've got a couple of mercurial QBs in this game which makes picking it harder. Both can be very good when they're hot and very bad when they're cold. I guess I'll take the Patriots, but if Cam Newton is cold, it could go the other way very easily.

KC takes on Denver. This should be a pretty easy win for KC. I'm not sure they aren't just on cruise control and expecting to win right now. That could jump up and bite them at some point. I just don't think this is that point. I'll take KC.

Tampa Bay goes to Las Vegas to take on the Raiders. The Bucs have the best point differential in the NFC with a +55 while the Raiders are a -1. (The Steelers lead the NFL with a +62 while the Jets trail at -110.) I'll give this one to Tampa. It could be a pretty good game though.

And finally, the Bears take on the Rams. Nick Foles hasn't been brilliant, but he's been good enough. Nick is another hot and cold QB, but he generally plays pretty well in the spotlight games. I'm taking the Bears in this one.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

The Steelers-Titans is broadcasting in our area. I want the Steelers to take this game; Tennessee cannot get too far ahead in the AFC South. I hope that the game is a good one. 

Suppose the Jets want to draft Trevor Lawrence (are they purposely tanking for him or just a bad team?) , but he doesn't want to go to the Jets and stays in school another year. That would mess up all the plans. There should be some kind of pool going on as to when Gase is fired. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

It's hard to accidentally be as bad as the Jets are this year, so it looks like they're tanking. Their point differential is -110. The next closest team is Jacksonville at -56. For those not good at math that means the Jets have lost by a combined 54 more points than the next worse team in the league. Trevor Lawrence could look at the Jets and say, "Uh, no. I'm staying in college." But would the Jets lose for Lawrence again in 2021? Probably. Then what happens to Lawrence? He can't stay in college forever. He's got to come out at some time and if a team is determined to get the kid they'll keep losing until they do.

Ironically enough, Trevor Lawrence getting an injury that's significant, but not devastating might be best for him from a pro career standpoint. Something that drops him into the middle or later stages of the first round where a Pittsburgh, New Orleans, or a similar team might grab him could be great for him. Wait until the all-star games after the season, grab his Achilles, and fall to the ground screaming in pain. Then plop on a walking boot and refuse to take a physical as he hobbles around in the boot. It could save him from a short career as the latest Jets QB of the future. There have been a lot of them since Joe Namath. Sam Darnold is the latest one to be so cursed. Quietly let good teams later in the draft who might need a QB check out his Achilles, but keep it hidden from the bad teams.

This is really a coach firing season this year. Two are already gone. A bunch more are on the firing line. We could see half the league with a new coach in 2021. The list of coaches who are safe in 2020 is maybe shorter than the list of coaches who aren't. If the Patriots lose this week they'll drop to 2-4. Is Belichick even safe if they really implode? Belichick without Brady isn't looking so great. Meanwhile, Brady without Belichick has the Bucs in first place. Hmm...It could be that Brady was the secret sauce in New England and not Belichick. Who knew?

In the NFC East, the three new coaching hires in 2020 (McCarthy, Judge, and Rivera) could all be out in 2021. McCarthy and Judge based on records, and Rivera may step aside for health reasons. Getting cancer treatment while being a head coach is challenging. He's probably made enough money to focus on better things in life than rebuilding the WFT. He's very family-oriented and coaching in the NFL takes time away from the family.

In the NFC North, Detroit and Minnesota are likely looking at starting over. Gase and the Jets are done, just not officially yet. The Jaguars are likely to join the Texans in rebuilding mode. The Broncos may look for a new head coach. Some coaches may just decide it's time to move on. It's going to be an interesting offseason.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did as well in my pick's last week as the NFC East teams did in their respective games...OUUUCCCHHH!!!  Has the NFL replaced the NFC EAST teams with 4 High School Football Teams yet?......stay tuned....

Hapless Barkleyless Giants vs Hapless/Injured Eagles---SHEESH!!! Instead of RG Brown, maybe Coach Pederson can get some help asking for a volunteer from the stands......Wentz is a little better than Jones so I guess I'll take the EAGLES!!! Definitely NOT must see TV......

Steelers vs Titans--- Now this should be a GOOD NFL game against two 5-0 teams....Ive been really impressed with the Titans....can the Steelers D stop Derrick Henry---I don't think so going with the TITANS for the win! 

The Drama Boyz vs The WFT---Remember when this was a good rival game to watch..... Now it's Washington's inept offense vs the "no defense" Cowboys...The Cowboys are on pace to have the WORST DEFENSE IN NFL HISTORY!!!   Too bad the WFT didnt keep Adrian Peterson....he couldve run through the Cowboys and broken a lot of records....oh what couldve been!!!  Is Terry McLaurin, McKissic, and Logan enough weapons to defeat this awful Cowboy defense....????? No Aaron Donald to worry aout this week 😁 Can WFT's D line return to form and put the pressure on Andy Dalton....???? And let's add in the DISHARMONY that's begun in the Cowboy's Locker-room questioning their coaches.....All this provides an opportunity for my WFT to get their 2nd win in the season!!!  .....Gee I hope so.....Here's your chance guys---WFT with the "W"....

Bills vs Tanking For Trevor Crew (better known as the Jets)---  The Bills dont look so hot lately, but the Jets are a cure all-BILLS get back on track!

Panthers vs Saints---Former Baylor Bear HC as the rebuilidng team playing well even without their best player.... Brees seems to be back on track with the Saints offense.....This should be a close one, but going with THE SAINTS at home as 3,000 limited fans will be cheering them on....

Packers vs Texans---- The Packers and in particular Aaron Rodgers got a humbling experience....Meanwhile the Texans are still feeling the impact of their former Coach/GM who depleted their roster......THE PACK will be back with a WIN!

Browns vs Bengals---The battle of Ohio!!!  A beat up QB Mayfield goes against rookie QB Burrows.  The Browns have better talent and the Bengals need to add more talent Burrows can't do it alone---going with the BROWNS!

Lions vs Falcons--- Can the Lions win again??...thats the question!!!!  They beat a good Cardinals team, and an inept Jags team....With their new Coach the Falcons beat a terrible Vikings team....can they continue the winning streak????  Matty Ice against Matt Stafford---battle of the Matts----I dont trust the Falcons after those games where they pulled defeat from a potential victory........going with the LIONS!

Seahawks vs Cardinals--- MVP candidate Russell Wilson leads a team with no defense vs the Cardinals with plenty of weapons....Some may pick the Seahawks because of Wilson, but Im going for the upset and taking the CARDINALS!

Jags vs Chargers--- Going with the better team, the better QB, and the CHARGERS!

49ers vs Patriots--- The 49ers are dealing with lots of injuries....instead of being a contender they found themselves on the losing side of games.....They did manage a solid win against one of their rivals, the Rams...On the other side, new team, same ole Cam---inconsistent! But Belichick won't tolerate his team losing another two games in a row--...so Im going with the PATRIOTS!

Chiefs vs Broncos---- Well the Broncos have the altitude and mile high going for them along with Watkins and Bell being inactive for this game....But the Chiefs have Mahomes and a decent defense....gotta be THE CHIEFS!....

Bucs vs Raiders---- Interesting game---In addition to dueling pirate mascots-----The Raiders come off a big upset against the Super Bowl Champs and also get a rest coming off their bye week...... Tom Brady goes to Vegas with his team in first place in the Division and big win over the Packers....I'm going to gamble and take the RAIDERS😉......VIVA LAS VEGAS!!

Bears vs Rams--- The Rams looked downright awful against a beat up 49er team.... Even though Foles can be erratic....going with DA BEARS and their defense...

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

I really enjoyed your commentary with this week's picks.....GOOD STUFF!!! 😄😄😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Well, the Jamon Brown redemption game won't happen as he's gone! I think the Eagles decided no right guard at all was better than Jamon Brown. Given how he played, that's not a bad assumption. So they cut him loose. Teams around the league now have a chance to watch his film and decide whether he's a good fit for them or not. (He's not a good fit for anyone.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It's gameday for the Eagles as they take on the Giants tonight. Well, this could be interesting. The Eagles patched together offensive line got a couple of reinforcements including some addition through subtraction. Matt Pryor has been activated from the reserve Covid list after testing negative for Covid. He was on the list after contact with someone who'd tested positive. He'll likely be back at right guard. He hasn't been all that impressive at right guard, but compared to Jamon Brown who replaced him, he's an all-pro. Lane Johnson will attempt to limp back onto the field on one ankle in an effort to limit the hits Carson Wentz is taking. The addition by subtraction was cutting Jamon Brown who was just horrible last week.

Eagles running back Miles Sanders is still out with a bad knee, but should be back in another week or two. Boston Scott should get the bulk of the carries in his absence. DeSean Jackson, the mysterious vanishing man, may reappear this week after yet another in a never-ending series of injuries. No Alshon Jeffery this week as he's somehow injured his calf while rehabbing his broken foot. Expect to see the majority of passes go to Travis Fulgham and Greg Ward though as they're the most proven weapons Carson Wentz has. Zach Ertz is out for multiple weeks with a bad ankle so former WFT camp body Richard Rodgers will be manning the primary tight end slot with a few kids backing him up. Suffice to say the talent level on offense isn't great right now.

The Eagles defense however is relatively healthy. We're missing a few linebackers, safeties, and corners, along with a defensive tackle or two, but compared to the offense, they're healthy.

What should we look for in tonight's game? The Eagles defensive line should be able to get a lot of pressure on Daniel Jones. Daniel Jones has a tendency to turn the ball over and has evolved into a run-first, pass second type QB. (He's the Giants leading rusher with 27 carries for 207 yards.) He's gotten a bit gunshy about turning the ball over so he just tucks it and runs if there's not a wide-open receiver. The Giants running game, other than Jones isn't all that impressive. Which explains why six games in their leading rusher has 207 yards.

The Giants defense is decent and given the state of the Eagles offense that may be all that's needed. The Eagles have scored on two good defenses in recent weeks in the Steelers and Ravens despite having nearly no one healthy. I would expect that to continue tonight. Carson Wentz trusts his kid receivers in Travis Fulgham, Greg Ward, and John Hightower and will air the ball out to those guys and trust them to make the play. If DeSean Jackson does manage to find his way to the stadium tonight, he'll give Carson yet another weapon. (Bear in mind this is the third or fourth week where he's been expected to play in the week leading up to the game and he hasn't played yet, so don't expect him to play tonight.)

I don't see the Giants scoring a lot tonight, so it'll either be a close game or an Eagles blowout win. I'd prefer the blowout win, but we'll have to see what happens. Jordan Mailata our former Australian rugby player has been playing very well lately and has developed a bit of a nasty streak as he's played. He went up against Calais Campbell of the Ravens a few times last week and pancaked him and Calais Campbell is pretty darn good. Mailata doesn't always take the best angle to the linebackers on the second level on running plays, but he's big enough and fast enough that it doesn't matter a whole lot. It'll be an interesting game to watch.

An Eagles win would vaunt them into a half-game lead over the Cowboys in the NFC East pending Sunday's outcome. The Thursday game gives the Eagles a wee bit extra time to get healthier before they play the Cowboys next week for the overall lead in the NFC East. Two Eagles wins would put them at least a half-game ahead of the Cowboys and possibly a game and a half depending on the outcome of the Cowboys/WFT game on Sunday. The Eagles bye week comes after the Cowboys game and quite a few of the now wounded guys should be back after the bye. There's a chance for the Eagles to get on a bit of a roll here, but it has to start tonight.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Seattle is favored to sign Antonio Brown when his 8 game suspension is up. Pete Carroll has admitted his interest in the WR, and Russell Wison has practiced with him.

I wonder why Brown doesn't want to be a team with Nick Foles. The Bears aren't interested, anyway, but had Foles done something to offend Brown? Maybe he doesn't like Foles' style of playing. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Seattle is favored to sign Antonio Brown when his 8 game suspension is up. Pete Carroll has admitted his interest in the WR, and Russell Wison has practiced with him.

I wonder why Brown doesn't want to be a team with Nick Foles. The Bears aren't interested, anyway, but had Foles done something to offend Brown? Maybe he doesn't like Foles' style of playing. 

@teganslaw 

Poor Nick gets singled out....I mean theres even worse QBs out there......I wonder how he would feel it teams put out on Twitter that they sure dont wanna sign him 😄

Speaking of signing.....

@sunshine45 

Why oh why would your Ravens sign trouble maker Dez Bryant to the Practice Squad.....Even my WFT desperate for weapons didnt entertain this!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Regarding your Giants/Eagles game--- Mike Florio said Someone has to win, anyone watching this game will lose...😄  He did pick the Eagles to win 24-10.................