Regular Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

@grandma r wrote:

I find it more and more annoying that the officials are controlling the outcomes.  Even the league acknowledged that the call in the Lions vs Green Bay was wrong.  To me, the officials always give breaks to the Patriots and the Packers.  They seem to protect those quarterbacks no matter what.  Other QBs get hammered and there are no calls.  Frustrating!!

**** There was a missed facemask call tonight on Joe Flacco, so the Chiefs are getting help, too.

Happy for the 49er's organization.  They are off to a great start.

*******As a Seahawks fan, I'm not so happy for them...

Football is my favorite season.
Honored Contributor

And another quarterback bites the dust. Patrick Mahomes went down last night with at least a dislocated kneecap/patella. He seems optimistic that it's a relatively minor patella dislocation with no torn ligaments, but they're doing an MRI this morning to determine the extent of the injury. If he escaped with an intact ACL and not a torn patella tendon, he can probably be back in six weeks or so. If the ACL or patella tendon were torn, then it's a much longer timeframe. Patella tendon injuries actually have a longer and more complicated recovery timeframe than ACL injuries these days. Pretty much everyone comes back from ACL injuries any more, but torn patella tendons can end a career if things go badly.

The Broncos losing as badly as they did, mostly to Matt Moore at QB, makes them more likely to go into fire sale mode over the next twelve days before the trading deadline. If there's a Bronco player you've had your eye on, get your bids in now. The bad news for the Broncos is that by winning two games they're likely out of the Tanking for Tua sweepstakes, and given the number of teams with one or two wins, they may not even draft in the top five, maybe not even the top ten.

It's looking like a weird draft where a 2-14 team may be drafting outside the top five come the 2020 NFL draft, maybe even outside the top ten. The Dolphins seem intent on locking down that first overall pick. The Bengals are right there with them. Then you've got three teams with just one win, and ten more teams with just two wins. That's fifteen teams at two or fewer wins at nearly the halfway point of the season. A few of those two-win teams will play one another so we won't stay at fifteen teams with two wins or less, but this is a pretty talented draft class coming up and teams are fighting to draft up high.

In most seasons if you finish 2-14 you'll be drafting first or in the top three. This year you could be drafting eleventh or twelfth. GM's look at the talented kids coming out and if they know they aren't a Super Bowl contender now, they don't mind losing games now to get better positioned to get one of those kids. This second half of the season could be pretty entertaining to watch as teams fight one another for losses more than wins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I was just reading a report from an ortho doc who says Mahomes will need surgery to fix the injury, but it's a question of when. The injury can be rehabbed, braced and played on, but there's a significant risk of a re-injury without the surgery, and he'd need it in the offseason. At present, they feel the damage is minimal which makes things better for Mahomes, but a re-injury of the knee could lead to significant damage and there's a very real risk of re-injury if he tries to play on it. Rehab from the surgery takes 6-9 months, but totally fixes the problem and he should be back to his old self for the start of next season if he has the surgery now. 

Mahomes will want to come back and play as soon as possible, but will the Chiefs let him? If he plays and reinjures it, they could be looking at having to find a new Patrick Mahomes next year or adjust to a guy who's not what he was. The Chiefs have invested a fortune in Mahomes and it's probably better for the organization to bench him, get the surgery, and get him ready for next year. There's going to be a bit of a tug-of-war going on between Mahomes and the Chiefs over what to do.

The smarter move is to get the surgery, start rehabbing and come back firing on all cylinders next year. But will Mahomes agree to that? Can the Chiefs win without him? He'll be out three weeks anyway and after that their schedule lightens up a bit until they face the Patriots. The Chiefs could likely make the playoffs without Mahomes how things look right now. How far could they advance without him? That's trickier to answer. The AFC doesn't look especially daunting until you run into the Patriots. I'm not sure they'd beat them with Mahomes.

It'll be interesting to see what's decided.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

I was just reading a report from an ortho doc who says Mahomes will need surgery to fix the injury, but it's a question of when. The injury can be rehabbed, braced and played on, but there's a significant risk of a re-injury without the surgery, and he'd need it in the offseason. At present, they feel the damage is minimal which makes things better for Mahomes, but a re-injury of the knee could lead to significant damage and there's a very real risk of re-injury if he tries to play on it. Rehab from the surgery takes 6-9 months, but totally fixes the problem and he should be back to his old self for the start of next season if he has the surgery now. 

Mahomes will want to come back and play as soon as possible, but will the Chiefs let him? If he plays and reinjures it, they could be looking at having to find a new Patrick Mahomes next year or adjust to a guy who's not what he was. The Chiefs have invested a fortune in Mahomes and it's probably better for the organization to bench him, get the surgery, and get him ready for next year. There's going to be a bit of a tug-of-war going on between Mahomes and the Chiefs over what to do.

The smarter move is to get the surgery, start rehabbing and come back firing on all cylinders next year. But will Mahomes agree to that? Can the Chiefs win without him? He'll be out three weeks anyway and after that their schedule lightens up a bit until they face the Patriots. The Chiefs could likely make the playoffs without Mahomes how things look right now. How far could they advance without him? That's trickier to answer. The AFC doesn't look especially daunting until you run into the Patriots. I'm not sure they'd beat them with Mahomes.

It'll be interesting to see what's decided.

@gardenman 

I feel bad for Mahomes and wish him a full recovery. It's a shame..... tough call....and moving forward, I don't think you can count on the Chief's defense to play as well as they did against the Broncos and get wins while Mahomes is out..... There goes the Chief's Super Bowl dreams if Mahomes needs surgery....It doesnt seem wise that he try to play in 3 weeks and risk the possibility re-injuring the knee and causing severe damage abd impacting his career long term.........

I dont think that paves the way for the Patriots for a guaranteed visit to another Super Bowl...to me they look vunerable this season and I dont really think they are the best team in the NFL...now they may have the BEST COACH.....but I think in the AFC the Colts and Texans can give them a run for their money...However, if the Patriots DO luck out in a weak Conference, the NFC teams that are looking good are the Packers, Saints, 49ers and Seahawks and could be a Super Bowl opponent .....But as we've seen injuries and even weather can be the great equalizer......STAY TUNED!!!

Speaking of the Colts/Texans-- @teganslaw  it looks like the Texans are going to try a new strategy on T.Y. Hilton....we will have to see what adjustments the Colts make.... Should be a good game....

Why is the Giants/Cardinals Fox's top game for this week.??????...I was STUNNED to see thats the game we will see on our area (in part thanks to the Cowboys playing Sunday Night against the Eagles....) My sister is excited and planning a big viewing party now..... The Lions/Vikings will be the better game for the NFC.....I guess the big TV market rules....  Looks like I'll be watching Texans/Colts...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

I hate to see any injury. The best thing would be for Mahomes to get the surgery and wait out the year. He could completely recover and be ready for next year. The Chiefs have put a lot into Mahomes, so it seems that they would not want to take chances on him reinjuring the leg. 

I'm interested to see how the Texans deal with Hilton. Maybe double cover him? That would leave other WRs open. They're not as much of a threat, but someone else could step up. I have to work until 2:00 Sunday, so I'll miss the first part of the game. I can always watch any missed highlights later. 

All the analysts are saying that the Giants-Cardinals is a good match up. Saquon Barkley and Evan Engram are expected to return, and the Cardinals are bad at stopping the run and covering TEs. That could be why it's  considered a top game. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@grandma r wrote:

I find it more and more annoying that the officials are controlling the outcomes.  Even the league acknowledged that the call in the Lions vs Green Bay was wrong.  To me, the officials always give breaks to the Patriots and the Packers.  They seem to protect those quarterbacks no matter what.  Other QBs get hammered and there are no calls.  Frustrating!!

Eagles vs Cowboys in Dallas could go either way.  Depends on the officials;  call the game fairly.  The Birds' defense is going to need to be on fire.  We can't count on which iffense will show up.

Happy for the 49er's organization.  They are off to a great start.

@grandma r   

Its sad that the officials blow a call and all the team on the losing end of that deal gets is a letter apologizing for the bad officiating...Woman Frustrated

We are tired of the letters of apology from the league....

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

The MRI showed that Mahomes has a dislocated kneecap, but didn't suffer "significant additional damage" according to the doctor. He will get a second opinion, but could return later this year if the patella is corrected. Surgery wasn't mentioned. 

Andy Reid is being criticized for the "quarterback sneak" play he allowed. That shouldn't have happened with Mahomes already having a bad ankle. I was checking out KC message boards, and their fans aren't happy with Reid's coaching style. 

@ Gardenman, was Andy Reid criticized much when he was the Eagles' coach? I can't recall. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw .

Every Eagles coach gets criticized while they're in Philly. It's normal. Andy got ripped nonstop for not running the ball enough. Any time the Eagles lost a game the fans would insist that was the problem. (Most of the time that wasn't the problem.) If you're a coach in Philly you will get criticized nonstop by the media and fans.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Broncos looked awful against the Chiefs even with Mahomes out and a rusty backup QB....Flacco is struggling badly and what I find interesting is where are the cries of the fans and the media to switch to Drew Lock?????  He's more ready than the Redskin's inexperienced QB Haskins that everyone wants to throw to the wolves even though the team has a makeshift O line (with another player out this week--add G Wes Martin to the list).....as well as less weapons for the QB with TE Davis and RB Thompson also out.....

P.S. I think Elway is done as GM......

If the Redskins DID win the top draft pick.....I wonder if they would pull a "cardinal deal" and trade Haskins and take Tua.....But then again, Haskins has an ace in the hole, having gone to school with Danny's son....I guess that would kill any scenario of the Redskins making that deal.....NEVER MIND....(but nice to dream about anyway).....

The Redskins state of decline with fans:

First it came the FEDUP t-shirts (a pun playing on the name of FedEX stadium)

Then came #FIREBRUCEALLEN t-shirts

Now its---SELL THE TEAM t-shirts (a message to Danny boy)....

Woman Sad Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

Sorry but I've never been a fan of Andy Reid....he may be a QB whisperer but little else.....never contributed much to the D side of the ball ..Then there was drama in the locker room that he did nothing to try to control.....And then the character of some of the QBs he chose, his play calling (i.e. QB sneak is a good example)....Then there's the chaos and destruction of his family life as well.....no one would ever confuse him as a candidate for "Father Of The Year".(A judge read Andy and his wife the riot act he described the Reid house as a "drug emporium" and directly rebuked both parents) ....I dont blame the Eagles or Chiefs fans for booing him,  I'd boo him too...NOT A FAN!!!