Honored Contributor

Week Seven of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

And a new week is upon us. Next week will be the halfway mark of the regular season if you can believe that. It's going by fast.

We start out this week with the Chiefs at the Broncos.  The Chiefs aren't looking quite as unbeatable these days. Playing in Denver is tough. I'm picking the Chiefs to win, but a Denver upset wouldn't shock me.

The Miami Tankers, er Dolphins are at Buffalo to take on the Bills. The Bills should win easily. I'm taking the Bills.

The Texans take on the Colts in what should be a pretty good game. DeShaun Watson is playing very well these days. I'm giving the Colts the teensiest little edge in this one though.

The Vikings take on the Lions in Detroit. The Vikings are favored but Kirk Cousins is a hot and cold QB. He was hot last week, I'm betting he'll be cold this week. I'll take Detroit.

The Rams are at the Falcons. The Falcons are playing to get Dan Quinn fired, so even a slumping Rams team playing an early game on the East Coast should get the win. The Rams are revamping their defense by trading away Marcus Peters for a new linebacker and then trading away two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick for Jaylen Ramsey. Luckily for them, this will be pretty much a preseason type game where they can plug those guys in and let them get adjusted to the system. I'll take the Rams.

The Jaguars are at the Bengals. Just what the Jags needed, another tanking team to help them get back on track. With the tanking for Tua race now down to just two teams, the Bengals can't afford to win and slip out of that tanking for Tua sweepstakes. I'll take the Jags.

The Niners are at the Redskins. Well, it's good for the Redskins that they get a West Coast team coming East in an early game. It's bad for them that it's one of the hottest teams in the league right now. I'll take the Niners.

The Raiders are at the Packers. Gruden will have his team fired up for this measuring stick game for his program, but I think Rodgers is just too good right now. I'll take the Packers.

The Cardinals are at the Giants. I think both teams have found their new quarterbacks. This is kind of a pick-em game for me. I guess I'll take the Giants since they're playing at home.

The Chargers are at the Titans. The Chargers are melting down this year. Mariota got benched last week and Tannehill will be the QB for the Titans this week. Which nose-diving team will eke out the win? Danged if I know. I guess I'll take Tennessee.

The Saints are at the Bears in what should be a good game. Drew Brees is still out recovering from his thumb injury, but he's throwing the football now. The Bears really, really need the win. I guess I'll take the Bears this week.

The Ravens are at the Seahawks. Playing in Seattle is never easy and the Seahawks are playing good right now. I guess I'll take Seattle but an upset wouldn't shock me.

The Eagles go to Dallas. This is always a big game on the Eagles' schedule. The Eagles are starting to get healthier and may have DeSean Jackson back for the game which would be a huge help. Also, our starting cornerbacks (Jalen Mills and Ronald Darby) may both be back on the field. The Cowboys may still be missing Amari Cooper with his quad injury. The Cowboys are favored, but I'm taking the Eagles to win and a big win wouldn't shock me. If the Eagle receivers ever stop dropping the ball we'd win most games pretty easily. I'm taking the Eagles.

Monday Night Football this week has the Patriots at the Jets. That Jets defense is for real and the Jets offense is a ton better with Sam Darnold back. This will likely be a closer game than the records indicate, but I think the Patriots will get the win.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week Seven of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

Just a note on the Jaylen Ramsey trade. He's only signed through 2020, so the Rams have pretty much handed him a gun and showed him where to put it against their head. They pretty much have to sign him to whatever kind of a deal he demands after giving up two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick to get him. Oh, they could franchise tag him in 2021, but as we've just seen, Ramsey's not opposed to playing sick and sitting out games to get his way. Instead of two first-round picks they'd own and control at a lower salary for five years and a fourth-round pick they'd control for four years, they've opted to get a guy they'll only control for a year and a half before he puts a gun to their head and gets whatever he wants. 

If you're going to make that kind of a deal, you'd better have a contract extension (five years) worked out and signed as a part of the deal. It doesn't look like the Rams did that. Now he's got lots of power over the Rams and he's shown a willingness to use that power. I'd expect to see him want to be the highest-paid defensive player, if not the highest-paid player in the league come 2021 and there's not a lot the Rams can do other than agree.

Do you let him go in a year and a half after giving up two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick to get him? Probably not. Could you trade him? Probably not. Do you let him test free agency? They may have to. If he leaves, they'd only get a third-round pick back in compensation. They've put themselves into an interesting box. It'll be fun to see how it all plays out. It's not a deal I would have made. If you're giving up that much to get a guy, you need him locked down for the foreseeable future. They only own him for 26 games (not counting the playoffs.) That's a big price to pay for a guy who may only be there for 26 games. Each of those first-round picks would have been theirs for eighty games, and the fourth-rounder for sixty-four games, so they've given up around 224 guaranteed (more or less), lower-cost player games to get 26 games from Ramsey.

The Rams also have holes on the offensive line they'll have to fill. Quality starters on the o-line are expensive in free agency. They also go early in the draft. With no first-round picks, you're going to miss out on the better options out there. The Rams are playing with a "win-now" mentality, but that may not be the best overall plan.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Here I go with my lousy picks again!!

Chiefs over Broncos- This will be a good game for TNF

Bills over Dolphins- Big win

Colts over Texans-Totally agree, @gardenman 

LIONS over Vikings-Curious to see if we get any phantom calls our way

Falcons over Rams-Just a feeling.  Could be way wrong

Jags over Bengals-Big win

Niners over Redskins-Sorry, @Spurt 

Raiders over Packers-I hope they never win again

Giants over Cardinals-Home field

Chargers over Titans-This could be a yawner

Saints over Bears-PLEASE!!

Seahawks over Ravens-This will be a good game, I will take the 12th man

Eagles over Cowboys-This could be a close one

Jets over Patriots-Just a feeling

Good Luck to everyone's teams!!  Let's hope the refs don't ruin your season too....

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

I thought that Jalen Ramsey would be signed for more than one year. They gave up 2 first round picks and a fourth round for him, but didn't lock him in a multi-year contract? That doesn't make much sense. He better deliver or there will be problems. 

On the other hand, I don't mind Ramsey being in a different divison; we don't have to face him all the time. 

The Texans-Colts should be a good one. The Colts need this win to stay relevant in the AFC South. The Texans usually have trouble stopping TY Hilton. There is only one time that Hilton got less than 100 yards against Houston. Watson hasn't been sacked in the past two games, so the Colts need to pressure him. The two teams know each other well, so Reich will most likley set up a game plan accordingly. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Ramsey's still on his rookie deal. The Jags picked up his fifth-year option which would take him through the 2020 season, but after that, he's either got to get a new deal, get tagged, or the Rams have to let him test free agency. They've given him all the leverage in the world to get whatever kind of deal he wants in 2021. If they franchise tag him, his contractual "bad back" is apt to force him to sit out games until he gets a new deal. If they go to sign him to a new deal, he'll want to be the highest-paid corner and likely the highest-paid defensive player, if not the highest-paid player period.

The Rams gave up a lot to get him and without him signed longterm, they could lose him at the end of next season. Ramsey's agent probably has a mile-wide grin on his face that nothing will erase. He knows that the Rams have backed themselves into a negotiating corner and the only way out is to give Jaylen Ramsey whatever he wants in 2021.

I hate it when teams trade away high draft picks for guys who will become free agents and then don't get them locked into a longterm deal. The Cowboys did it last year with Amari Cooper who could be leaving Dallas after this year. The Rams did it with Ramsey who could be leaving LA after next year. Those first-round picks are valuable and giving them away too easily will get a team in all kinds of trouble.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I find it more and more annoying that the officials are controlling the outcomes.  Even the league acknowledged that the call in the Lions vs Green Bay was wrong.  To me, the officials always give breaks to the Patriots and the Packers.  They seem to protect those quarterbacks no matter what.  Other QBs get hammered and there are no calls.  Frustrating!!

Eagles vs Cowboys in Dallas could go either way.  Depends on the officials;  call the game fairly.  The Birds' defense is going to need to be on fire.  We can't count on which iffense will show up.

Happy for the 49er's organization.  They are off to a great start.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r wrote:

I find it more and more annoying that the officials are controlling the outcomes.  Even the league acknowledged that the call in the Lions vs Green Bay was wrong.  To me, the officials always give breaks to the Patriots and the Packers.  They seem to protect those quarterbacks no matter what.  Other QBs get hammered and there are no calls.  Frustrating!!

Eagles vs Cowboys in Dallas could go either way.  Depends on the officials;  call the game fairly.  The Birds' defense is going to need to be on fire.  We can't count on which iffense will show up.

Happy for the 49er's organization.  They are off to a great start.

@grandma r   

Its sad that the officials blow a call and all the team on the losing end of that deal gets is a letter apologizing for the bad officiating...Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

The NFL season goes by wayyyyy too fast.... Smiley Sad 

Chiefs VS Broncos---Although the Broncos won two weeks in a row I don't see the Chiefs losing 3 in a row....even though Mahomes is banged up I think a banged up Mahomes is better than Flacco....CHIEFS for the WIN! 

Dolphins Vs Bills--The "Tanking For Tua" team  chose FitzMagic as their QB...Doesn't matter because the BILLS DO WANT TO WIN---BILLS ALL THE WAY TO VICTORY!  (I cant believe that Goodell said he sees no evidence of tanking...🙄)

Texans Vs Colts---Should be a good game!  DeShaun is on fire and makes things happen for the Texans.....but the problem has been their defense.  The Colts are at home and seem to be the more balanced team....It's a toss-up, I'm going with THE COLTS for the win, but wouldnt surprise me if the Texans won either....

Vikings Vs Lions---We all know about the bad calls which costs the Lions the game last week.....Capt Kirk finally got another "You Like That..." moment for a change and lead the Vikes to a victory.....The Lions will either feel deflated....OR.....the bad calls might make them angry and spur them on to VICTORY......Hmmmm......I dont know if Capt Kirk can string two good performances in a row and that Lion D is pretty ferocious...although the refs might have tamed them a bit.....The Lions desperately need this win to stay relevant in their Division, so I'm going LIONS for the WIN--ROAR LIONS ROAR!!! @redwingsgal 

Rams VS Falcons---The Rams desperately need a win to stay close to the HOT 49ers.....The addition of Ramsey should help their cause- The Falcons are a mess!!!--RAMS!

Jaguars VS Bengals---The Jags got rid of disgruntled Ramsey and a host of future picks (anyone think Herschel Walker type deal).....The Jag's "mustache" faltered, but won't have a problem this week with the Bengals who are in the Tua Sweepstakes.....JAGUARS for the "W"!!!

49ers Vs Redskins---What a brutal home game for Redskin fans....I think most of them will stay home as Fed Ex fills up with 49er fans.....49ers EASY!!!

Raiders Vs Packers---Well a Raider is under investigation for domestic violence....just what they dont need from their OT.....I dont think they will be a suspension quite YET, but one could loom in his future..... Aaron Rodgers just gets it done.....The games at Lambeau...going with the PACKERS!!!

Cardinals VS Giants--  Looks like Barkley could be back for the Giants and QB Daniel "dime a dozen" needs him....The Cards squeaked by and got two wins, but that was against the Bengals and Falcons.... The Giants defense has been playing better and with Barkley coming back Im going GIANTS at home for the WIN!!!

Chargers Vs Titans--Both teams are struggling, and Mariota has been benched.....This is a toss up, I'll take the TITANS at home....maybe Tannehill will spark the team...

Saints Vs Bears---Good game and important for both teams....The Saints have a HOT Panther team on their back....and Da Bears are trying to stay relevant and catch up to the Packers and Vikes...The Bears have that defense and Mack...but the Saints are just the better team so with or without mistaken divine tweets from the Pope....SAINTS for the WIN!.LOL..(if you dont know what I'm talking about google it)....

Ravens VS Seahawks---Interesting game...The Ravens are playing well...and of course they got primer PK Justin Tucker and a mobile QB in Jackson....Some say this is Russell Wilson's best season ever...and of course playing at home with the 12th man.....I'm going SEAHAWKS!!!

Eagles VS Cowboys---  Odd comment that Jerry Jones made....that Garrett would be in high demand Is the unemployment line in "The Clapper's" immediate future????...DL Crawford went on IR, Cooper is questionable....the injury bug has struck at the wrong time...and where the heck is Zeke???? Dak is showing he can't carry the team...Questionable play calling....The Eagles have had their own share of injuries and stuggles, WRs cant seem to catch and secondary has had injuries although some players may be ready to return for this game.......Just another NFC East rival game.....I may be a bit biased (LOL) but taking THE EAGLES for the WIN....PLEASE!!!  FLY EAGLES FLY!!!  (and afterall didnt their coach, guarantee a win Smiley Wink )...........

Patriots Vs Jets Jets Jets---What a difference a healthy QB and spleen make...Darnold shook off the rust and helped get a win over the Cowboys.....The Patriots DO look vunerable despite their record....If Brady gets pressured and the opponent doesnt make mistakes (turnovers) the opposing team has a chance.....I think this is a trap game for the Patriots and going with the JETS!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Alshon Jeffery may be talking his way onto the trade block. Josina Anderson says a source of hers on the Eagles says some on the team are unhappy the Eagles didn't do more to acquire Jalen Ramsey. Her source is almost certainly Alshon. Whenever you hear a report from Josina about the Eagles, it typically comes from Alshon. He called her to tell her he was signing with the Eagles in free agency and the two stay in close touch through the year. 

I'm not sure what people expected the Eagles to offer. They reportedly offered a first and second-round pick for Ramsey. They also offered a first-round pick and a first-round caliber player (rumored to have been tight end Zach Ertz.) The Jaguars said no and then made the deal with the Rams for two first-round picks and a fourth.

I'm of the belief that Rams vastly overpaid for Ramsey and will soon be forced to overpay him again as his contract expires after next season. Having one great corner merely means teams target the other side of the field more. You can rotate coverage that way, but even then it doesn't always work out so well. Their best receivers simply go where the corner isn't. If the corner follows their top receiver, then they target the tight ends or other receivers. A top tier cornerback doesn't really win you a lot of games. Teams just avoid the guy.

If you can sign a linebacker like a Luke Kuechley or a dominant defensive end, then those guys can win you games. There's no way to really avoid those guys. A Reggie White in his prime or a Lawrence Taylor in his prime are worth whatever it takes to acquire them. They're game wreckers. Even a dominant safety can be a game wrecker. A cornerback? Not so much. Offenses just scheme around the guy. I think the Rams overpaid to acquire Ramsey and now they're forced to overpay him to keep him past next year. I think it was a bad strategic move on their part.

The Eagles are getting Darby and Mills back this week and the Eagles won the Super Bowl with those guys, so it's not like they're desperate at corner. We were badly injured at cornerback but guys are getting healthy again now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Lamar Jackson won the FedEx Ground Player of the Week Award, becoming the first quarterback to do so in the program's 17-year history.

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/10/17/lamar-jackson-fedex-ground-player-of-the-week-award-2/?fbc...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein