Honored Contributor

Re: Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Re Chiefs and Pats. When I put it on I saw Wahlberg(not sure which one, I get them confused). Anyway, isn't he from Boston? Wasn't the game at the Pats home stadium? Of course they would make a big deal about it. I don't see any problem with that. I guess the were excited about opening day. 

I'm waiting for the Vikings game. They are my pick for my weekly pool.

Trusted Contributor

Congrats to the KC Chiefs!! Great game!

I could kick myself! Wrote here last week that for years when our family makes our weekly NFL picks it has been a running joke that I NEVER choose the Patriots just because I do not like Brady and Belichick. (I refer to him as Belicheat!) 

But I decided on this forum I would go with my head over my heart and I chose New England!! Can't win!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs wrote:

As a loyal Chiefs fan, I watched most of the game through my fingers but oh that 4th quarter was a stunner!!! Sure, most folks always think the Pats are going to win and at times the broadcast team couldn't contain their favoritism -- we took a little wind out of Smugville. The loss of Eric Berry will sting but we can get through it. My next door neighbor is a Patriots fan, with a big flag on top of his front yard flagpole. I shall drive my Chiefs-bedecked Jeep right past his house several times today.

@LonestarBabs

congratulations.....that was a GREAT game to watch.

very close all the way until the 4th quarter and then they busted loose!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well after Thursday's game results looks like its going to be an interesting NFL season this year! 

Here's my pick's.........OR........Here goes nothing!: Will be difficult to make picks until we get a real feel for the teams, cant use preseason to judge............

Jets vs Bills---The Jets are such a mess, the Bills traded away one of their few bright spots.  Flipping a coin going with THE BILLS!

Eagles vs Redskins--The Redskins have such question marks and Cousins was not on target with his new WRs in the preseason and under pressure can make some wild thows, and sometimes has problems making adjustments when pressured. Lots of question marks still on defense---with Cravens out more problems at safe

ty and still need work on the D line, decent O line and running game....and lets see if Jordan Reed is truly healthy to be Capt Kirk's safety valve.......The Eagles also have question marks on defense, and a second year QB at the helm. and he's ranked at #23 in one NFL QB poll.....The batttle between Norman/Jeffrey will be of  interest.  I'll be a homer and go with my REDSKINS!

Raiders vs Titans-Could be a preview of the playoffs.....2 up and coming teams.....Raiders have an explosive offense and a good young QB, may need a piece or two on defense, but good solid team. The Titans have a good young QB coming off of injuries, good young defense and they look like they are ready to step up.....Raiders are the only West Coast team that does well going East in early game times.....Im going with DA RAIDERS! 

Bucs vs Dolphins-POSTPONED due to hurricane Irma

Jaguars vs Texans-For Houston, this should be an emotional game following the hurricane Harvey disaster.   Who is going to be the starting QB---Bortles/Henne---doesnt even matter, easy game to pick--  (and I bet a lot of NFL fans all over the country will be cheering on JJ WATT for his disaster rellief efforts!)--TEXANS!

Cards vs Lions- Difficult pick---Cards have aging QB and their best WR is Larry Fitzgerald who should be applying for AARP soon (although Larry is one of my fav NFL non-Redskin players).....Matt Stafford got a nice big fat contract....Ill go with Matt and the LIONS!

Falcons vs Bears-Will Falcons have Super Bowl loss hangover, or will they be like my NBA Spurs and be more determined to go back to the championship game and get a win!  Falcons have an offense with a lot of weapons and a solid QB, but what bothers me and showed in the Super Bowl, their defense may be fast, but they are smaller than other teams......As for the Bears, Glennon will be starter but everyone has raved over young Trubisky who was promoted to #2 QB and could easily usurp Glennon......But Sunday it will be Glennon, and have to go with the solid team and FALCONS!

Ravens vs Bengals---Okay so I won't jinx @sunshine45 team,  I will go with my cat, Figgy's team, the BENGALS

Steelers vs Browns---Ill make this one short STEELERS!!!! (well cleveland a least the MLB Indians are doing good)

Colts vs Rams---Interesting game---Colts without Andrew Luck, new coach for the Rams (ex Redskin OC) they've added a few pieces but is Goff the real deal? I think at this point Colts have better personnel. Ill go with the COLTS!

Seahawks vs Packers-This to me is te premier game---could one of these teams represent the NFC in the Super Bowl???  It amounts to can the Oline protect Russell Wilson and make holes for a somewhat subpar running game???  But one big plus is the Seahawks MONSTER defense, which added even more talent this offseason! The Packers have the home field advantage and Aaron Rodgers, and also added some talent.  This game could go either way, but Ill go with the home field and the PACKERS this time around! 

Panthers vs 49ers---Cam Newton is now healthy, and the Panthers should bounce back from a disappointing season.  The 49ers are a work in progress, there should be an improvement, but Im going with THE PANTHERS! 

Giants vs Cowboys-Boils down to a battering ram versus a brute force!  The battering ram is Zeke Elliott who gets to play why the courts and NFPLA vs NFL battle it out legally.  Zeke has that awesome O line to help make the holes, the Oline also protects their young and experienced QB.  The problem with the Cowboys is due to suspensions and injuries how is the defense going to perform--they werent all that as it was.....Meanwhile back in NY they have a very week Oline to protect their experienced yet immobile QB and make holes for a weak running game....but their advantage is a solid brute of a defense.  The Giants struggled in scoring and seem to rely heavily on their FG kicker for points, BUT with that Cowboys D it seems that for this game the Giants should be able to score, maybe the Giants D creates some turnovers too by pressuring the Cowboys young QB---going with the GIANTS!

Saints vs Vikings---The Saints have Drew Brees, and added RB AD who will be playing his old team....bit of revenge here?.....hmmmm, but will Brees give up his passing game to go more with a balanced game????  The Vikings were just inconsistent last year and ended up at 8-8, The Saints were 7-9 (its always their defense that gets them in trouble).........But for some reason Ill go with THE SAINTS! (WHO DAT)

Chargers vs Broncos- There's the question mark at QB for the Broncos, but a solid defense.....and the Chargers have a solid QB but dont seem to perform up to their talent sometimes, and they are playing at mile high so am going with THE BRONCOS! ....

CAN'T WAIT FOR SUNDAY/MONDAY FOOTBALL!!! HTTR 🏈🏈🏈🏈

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@LonestarBabs

HAIL TO THE CHIEFS!!! CONGRATS!  

WOW-what a game! Hunt and Alex Smith were on a roll! And the Chiefs D played well too....sorry about Eric Berry's injury.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Ezekiel Elliott saga continues. He won the court battle to get a temporary restraining order against his suspension which should allow him to play for a few more weeks. and potentially the whole season. There is the slight little hiccup that he's more buying time than avoiding the suspension completely.

The CBA gives the commissioner pretty much total power to do as he wants and he followed the rules set down, such as they are, and ultimately the suspension will be upheld by the courts. That could mean that the courts could reinstate his suspension week ten or so of the season and they'd be without him during the most important part of the season. 

It's likely his best case scenario is to have the suspension stalled until the start of next season, but I don't see a scenario where the suspension goes away completely. If Elliott gets injured this year and will miss multiple games, he may drop his suit and ask to have the suspension reinstated immediately so he can spend the suspension while rehabbing from an injury. A six week type of injury (broken ribs, high ankle sprain, etc.) would allow him to both serve out his suspension and recover at the same time. That's arguably his best case scenario.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Hi Tegan, well former Redskin Matt Jones' time with the Colts has already ended.  The Colts waived him in order to sign a guard.....Perhaps Matt's injury bug scared the Colts away................

Honored Contributor

It's game day!!! Yea!!! The Eagles take on the Redskins today in what promisies to be an interesting game. Word on the street is that the Eagles are dusting off Chip Kelly's playbook to go with a non-stop hurry up offense against the Redskins today. This is a smart strategic move as the Redskins have a new defensive coordinator who the players aren't used to yet, a new starting safety who needs to call out the defensive signals but likely isn't fully up to speed on the calls yet, and defensive players who are used to playing in short bursts through the preseason. A hurry-up offense against a newly reformed defense in week one with lots of new pieces, should give the Eagles a big edge on offense.

The Eagles can test the preparedness of the Redskins defense for different formations and take advantage of any weakness they find. They'll likely throw everything they've got against the new defensive coordinator and the new starting safety to test them. Miscommunication will likely occur on defense and you're apt to see an Eagle receiver or two be wide open. A hurry-up offense against a new defense is kind of unfair for the defense, but the NFL isn't about fairness.

On defense the Eagles are more confident in their defensive backs and seem to be planning to throw more blitzes at other teams than they have in recent years. With four dominant defensive linemen locking up the offensive line, the QB will be dependent on a back picking up the blitzer and the Redskins backs will be challenged to see if they can. 

I think this game has the potential to get very one-sided, very quickly. If the Eagles can execute their hurry-up offense effectively and catch the Redskins off guard, then it makes the reads easy for Carson Wentz and limits the ability of the Redskins to throw wrinkles at them. Carson only has to read the defensive backs on throws and with better receivers than last year, he should be able to move the ball pretty effectively. Add in runs by Smallwood and LeGarrette Blount and things look pretty promising for the Eagles in this game.

The Redskins will likely try to counter the Eagles by running the ball and trying to take time off the clock and buy some time for their defense to catch its breath. They'll try to get the ball downfield to the wide-outs and also to their tight end. The weakness of this Eagle defense is screen passes and draw plays. The defensive line tends to charge towards the QB taking them out of screens and draws leaving the defense of those plays up to the back seven who then have to fight through the offensive linemen to make the play.

It should be a good game.  

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Cleve Brownies are giving the Steelers a good game.  As usual the Steelers are taking way too many dumb penalities.  Score is currently 21- 10  Steelers but the Browns are playing hard.

ETA  The Steelers won but it wasn't pretty.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman

CONGRATULATIONS on the Eagles win! The Eagles did Fly!

The Eagles were well prepared and came to play! Wentz outplayed Cousns! (now I know why he didnt get his long term deal) Sadly I can't say the same about my Redskins.....they resembled the Stooges out there....bumbling and flumbling with self inflicted turnovers!!!  .....  Remember that one TD was scored by the defense by my main man, Ryan Kerrigan--  So Capt Kirk could only provide 10 pts---his throws were way off target..... On defense I did like Zach Brown's game and even Breeland and Preston Smith made a couple of good plays....but overall THE REDSKINS STUNK!!! Woman Sad  If it was me Id go with Colt McCoy!!!