Trusted Contributor

Re: Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

@gardenman  I'm so excited!!!  Love, love, love football season.

Honored Contributor

Lots and lots of players had a largely sleepless night last night as they waited to hear if they made the team or not. By four o'clock (ET) today every team has to be down to the 53 man limit. With most teams at, or near the 90 man mark, that's nearly half the team that gets flushed. 

The Eagles made a few preliminary cuts yesterday and are said to be working on multiple trades for today. It looks like our veteran punter Donnie Jones will be traded away to someone. Dave Fipp, the Eagles special teams coach loved the kid from Ohio State, Cameron Johnston, and recruited him to come to the Eagles as an undrafted free agent. He's been working almost exclusively wth our new long snapper and it looks like they'll be the long snapper/punter combo for the Eagles this season.

Word is that the Eagles could part with Mychal Kendricks, our inside linebacker if the price is right and also one or more of the offensive linemen we've got in reserve. We could even see a wide receiver or two on the move. There's also a lot of depth on the defensive line and those guys are pretty valuable. Do the Eagles keep a Chris Long over one of the kids who's been impressive?

Rosters around the league will be in flux until about Tuesday when players can finally take a breath and relax. Today's the first wave of cuts and then GM's will look around, find guys who intrigue them, cut a player to make a roster spot for them and bring them in. By Tuesday things should settle down a bit. Today we'll see hundreds of players get cut, tomorrow dozens more will get cut as teams shuffle in players cut from other teams, Monday a handful more cuts will be made, then on Tuesday things should settle down.

Today will be a very busy day for the league offices as they sort out the cut list and which team claims which player. It's a good day to keep your Twitter feeds up as there's going to be lots of stuff going on. The Jets and Jags should be looking for a quarterback, any quarterback. I think the Eagles will be looking for a good young QB to bring in also. It'll be a very busy day today.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Let the games begin!  Today will be total chaos with cuts & trades!  Stupid to do all the cuts in a 24 hr period.  Good luck to all the teams.  Hoping for very few injuries to players league wide, but we know how it goes.  GO STEELERS!

Thank you JJ Watt for all your're doing

Honored Contributor

Interesting. The Colts have traded with the Patriots to get QB Jacoby Brissett. That tends to imply they're not expecting Andrew Luck back any time soon.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

There were rumors that Dorsett was on the trading block, so this doesn't come as a surprise. I didn't expect the trade would be to NE for a quarterback, though. The Colts released back QB Walker, so they still have three backups. Irsay said that Luck wouldn't play in the opening game, and gave no timetable for his return.

I don't know much about Brissett. Is he a reliable player? As far as I know, Tolzien will still be the starter.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

GOOOOOOOOOOOO RAVENS!!!!!!!!!!!

we bleed purple Smiley Wink

so happy to have football back officially.

unofficially, the ravens had 4 good preseason games.....4 wins, although the last one was a tight one. i was pretty impressed with some of the new players. it will be tough to see some of them gone.

so anxious to see flacco throw a football since we have not seen him during the preseason.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

And it's time for the picks!!! God only knows if any of these will be correct, but they're my best guess on how things will play out week one.

We start out with the Chiefs at the Patriots. If the Patriots are going to lose any games this year, the early part of the season is where they'll be the most vulnerable. They've been shuffling quite a few parts in the defensive backfield and also at wide receiver, and early season communication might be off a bit. That could give teams a chance against the Patriots in the early season. I'm not sure Belichick wouldn't mind a loss (or at least a big scare) early on to help focus the team. Pretty much everyone knows the Patriots are the best overall team in the NFL this year, but they have to still play the games. No one will just roll over and let them win. (Well, other than maybe the Jets.) I like the Chiefs and Andy will typically have his team ready to play when he's got extra time to prepare, but I'm picking the Patriots to win this week. The Chiefs might just give them a fight, but I don't think they'll pull off the upset.

The Jets take on the Bills in a fight to see who will have the best chance at that first overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft. Both teams seem determined to get that first overall pick and throw away this season. The Bills have traded away multiple good players for future draft picks and have a new head coach in Sean McDermott. The Jets, well, they're the Jets. This is a coin flip game. I don't think the fans of either team are overly optimistic right now and with good reason. I'll take the Bills simply because I think they're more determined to move up in the draft than tank completely.

The Eagles go to the Redskins. The Eagles have been horrible against the Redskins in recent years with Kirk Cousins and DeSean Jackson routinely spanking them. I think that ends this year. The Alshon Jeffery/Josh Norman battle looks to be fun to watch.The routes that Alshon Jeffery is best at running are the routes that Josh Norman is worse at defenidng. Torrey Smith is also showing he still has the speed to beat defenses deep.  With legitimate deep threats stretching the field, the underneath area opens up for Zach Ertz and Darren Sproles. The Redskin defense can't cheat the safeties up to stop the running game, which the Eagles have improved by adding a few more maulers to the offensive line. That Eagles defense is looking vastly improved this year. The defensive line is going to get after Kirk Cousins on a routine basis and the new corners on the Eagles are a vastly better group than what took the field last year. I've got the Eagles winning this one. The Redskins had a ton of change this past year, two new coordinators, losing a bunch of players, and the uncertainty over Cousins. I just think things are working in the Eagles favor here week one.

The Raiders go to the Titans. This could be a good game. Both teams should be pretty good. I'm not convinced that Marcus Mariota has made a big step up from where he was last year, but David Carr looks like the real deal. West coast teams coming east typically have a hard time, but I'll take the Raiders in this one. It should be a good game however.

The Bucs go to the Dolphins. I think Tampa is ready to take a step up this year. The Dolphins are a wildcard with Jay Cutler as their QB. He can look great for 90% of the game then do something bone-headed. I'll take Tampa and assume Cutler will do something bone-headed to throw away the game.

The Jaguars go to the Texans. The Jags are a great team without a quarterback and unfortunately you kind of need a quarterback. I'm not sure the Texans have the right quarterback, but at least they've got a quarterback. Controlling JJ Watt and Jadeveon Clowney will be a challenge for most teams. I think the Texans take this one pretty easily.

The Cards go to the Lions. The Cards looked better this preseason than they did last year, but I think they've gotten too old to be all that competitive. I'll take the Lions. The Cards will soon realize how much they miss Calais Campbell.

The Falcons go to Chicago. The Falcons will likely have a hangover from that Super Bowl loss, but they open up against a less competitive team in the Bears. I'll take the Falcons.

The Ravens go to the Bengals. The Ravens have been hit hard by the injury bug this year. Flacco just now is back practicing. I don't see this being a good year for the Ravens. I'll take the Bengals. 

The Steelers go to the Browns. The Browns should be a lot better this year. Are they good enough to beat the Steelers? Probably not. I'll take the Steelers.

The Colts go to the Rams. I just don't know where the Colt's players' mindset is this year. The Colts looked into trading for Sean Payton to be their new head coach and when the new GM came in he more or less said it was too late to change head coaches, so there's not a lot of support for Pagano high up in the organization. Do the players rally around Pagano and play hard for him, or do they back off and try to protect themselves? There have been whispers that Andrew Luck's biggest issue now is mental after his shoulder surgery, and that implies that he's looking to protect himself rather than fight for the coach. I'll take the Rams in this game until I know what the Colts are doing. I wouldn't be surprised to see Pagano get fired before the season is done. The Rams have tried to support Goff and add some pieces for him, so we'll see how that plays out.

The Seahawks go to the Packers in a big early season game. This should be a fun one. Russell Wilson was dinged most of last year, but seems to be healthy again. Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers. I would expect this to be a fairly high scoring game with a pair of gunslingers trading blows. I'll take Green Bay simply because they're the home team and playing on grass instead of the faster turf Seattle prefers. Seattle's not typically as good on the road as they are at home.

The Panthers go to San Francisco to take on the Niners. Cam Newton is the wild card in this game. Is his shoulder healthy? Can he play the whole game? Can he play the whole season? The Panthers are the better team, but if Cam isn't 'ready' they could struggle a bit. I'll still take the Panthers in this one however.

The Giants go to the Cowboys. These are two teams with opposite issues. The Giants have no idea if they can protect Eli Manning or create running lanes for their running backs, but they have a dominant defense that can shut down pretty much anyone. The Cowboys on the other hand have a dominant offensive line that can protect Dak and open up running lanes, but their defense is a major work in progress. They have essentially no pass rush, and a defensive backfield that's been patched together with odds and ends they found lying around. The lack of a pass rush by Dallas helps to offset the Giants inability to protect Eli Manning. Those Giant receivers (O'dell Beckham Junior, et al) going against that largely untested Cowboy secondary is a mismatch if Eli is given any time in the pocket. I can see the Giants scoring a lot of points in this game. Can the Cowboys match them? I don't know, but I have my doubts. I think the Cowboys will try to play the ball control game and run the ball a ton to keep Eli and his receivers off the field. I see the Giants scoring at least 28 points in this game and I'm not sure the Cowboys can score 28 against that Giant defense. I'm taking the Giants in a close one.

The Saints go to the Vikings. I think the Saints are going to have a very bad year. They put a "For Sale" sign on Sean Payton this past offseason and tried to trade him to the Niners, Rams and Colts. Drew Brees is getting up there a bit in years. They traded away one of his best weapons in Brandin Cooks. Those aren't the kind of moves that inspire confidence in a team. Now, you can never rule out a Drew Brees quarterbacked team, but I'll take the Vikings in this one.

And finally we end up with the LA Chargers at the Broncos. I like Joey Bosa and the Chargers in this one. That Bronco QB situation is not ideal.

I'm taking a whole lot of road teams this week. Probably more than I should be taking. We'll see what happens though. These first few weeks are a guessing game as much as anything. Teams that are expected to be good sometimes come out flat. Teams that no one expects much from come out playing like their hair is on fire. You just never know how the games will play out.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I'm already getting the  Week One Jitters.  Lost to the Giants twice last season -

that was painful!

I know our secondary is questionable, but we'll have our answers soon.

Eli will give us a good test.

If we lose, I'll be letting off steam by stomping my feet all the way to the

shuttle bus, and then have a frozen margarita. But I think we will win - and

still have that frozen margarita.  Smiley Happy

*GOOO COWBOYS*

Trusted Contributor

I wrote down my picks last night. Saw that @gardenman has posted his but I have not looked at them yet! With his expertise and in-depth grasp of each team, I knew if I saw he had picked a different team from me then I would be tempted to change my guess!

So will post my choices - which really are based mostly on hunches! Am also trying to go more with my head rather than my heart!!

I am listing them in the order in which they appear on the NFL Schedule site.....

Chiefs vs. Patriots...............Patriots

Jets vs. Bills.........................Bills

Jaguars vs. Texans.............Texans

Steelers vs. Browns.............Steelers

Cardinals vs. Lions..............Lions

Buccaneers vs. Dolphins....Buccaneers

Falcons vs. Bears................Falcons

Raiders vs. Titans................Raiders

Ravens vs. Bengals.............Ravens

Eagles vs. Redskins............Eagles

Colts vs. Rams....................Colts

Panthers vs. 49ers..............Panthers

Seahawks vs. Packers........Packers

Giants vs. Cowboys............Cowboys

Saints vs. Vikings................Vikings

Chargers vs. Broncos..........Broncos

Can't wait for Thursday night!!!!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose. Yeah, that first week matchup isn't ideal for the Cowboys. The big weakness for the Giants is their offensive line, but the Cowboys have very little in the way of a pass rush to challenge that Giants line. That Cowboy secondary is untested and going against those Giant receivers will be a big test for them. That Giant defense is very stout and will challenge the Cowboys offense. Now with all of that said watch the Cowboys win 35-0. You just never know what will happen.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!