Honored Contributor

Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

And now the fun begins! The preseason is officially over and the regular season kicks off on Thursday. On Sunday I'll post my picks for week one. We've got cut downs coming on Saturday and I expect a fair number of trades to take place between now and then. 

John Ross, the speedster wide receiver the Bengals took in the first round of the NFL draft continues to look a tad fragile. That was my big concern about him in the draft. He set a new record for the 40 at the combine, but then pulled up lame there. In the preseason he had no catches for no yards and had to leave yesterday's game with a sore knee. He's had labrum surgery after the draft to fix his shoulder. They say the best ability is availability and he's not a reliable option right now. When the kid is healthy and playing well, he's a game changer, but he's seldom healthy. He was a risky pick at the ninth overall slot and I have a suspicion the Bengals are starting to think they might have made a mistake there.

Saturday will be an interesting day to see what teams do with surplus players. Cooper Rush of the Cowboys will be an especially interesting name to watch. He's played his way onto a roster, I'm just not sure it'll be the Cowboys. That whole Cowboy roster will be an interesting one to watch. They've got a bunch of suspended players who they'll need to replace for a few weeks and chances are they'll be watching the waiver wire for defensive ends.

The players can't really relax until about Tuesday when the rosters more or less settle out. Those that survive the cut on Saturday may find themselves cut on Sunday or Monday as the teams scoop up guys they like more who were cut on Saturday.

I have a suspicion the Eagles are looking to pick up another young QB to back up Wentz and Foles. Whether they're targeting a guy for the practice squad or the active roster is where things get interesting. Nick Foles has a strained tendon in his throwing arm which kept him out of most of the preseason practices and all of the preseason games, so a spare QB isn't a bad idea. Chances are a few of the guys the Eagles cut will end up on other team's rosters. We're really deep on the defensive line and also wide receiver this year with multiple guys who could be starting around the league. We're also a tad deep still on the offensive line with a few guys who will be looked at by other teams. 

Thursday night the season kicks off for real and it should be a fun year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Week 1 sets the tone for the teams. 

I am a follower of the GB Packers. I don't get much news about them where I live. 

Do hope the Pack has a good season. Any major news out of the Pack camp that you have heard about.??

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@viva923, I live in the GB television market and the funny thing is that any real news about the Packers comes from ESPN.  Sure, after every game, the local news starts off with Packer highlights, but they just rehash old news.  Even the Milwaukee stations grab better interviews than the local sportscasters. I'd love to hear what @gardenman thinks about our team this year. I'll say they will be better than average - maybe a grade B but no Super Bowl ring.

Honored Contributor

@viva923 wrote:

Week 1 sets the tone for the teams. 

I am a follower of the GB Packers. I don't get much news about them where I live. 

Do hope the Pack has a good season. Any major news out of the Pack camp that you have heard about.??

The Packers should be fine. Aaron Rodgers is special and as long as he's playing the Packers should be fine. If the Packers ever surrounded Rodgers with top notch talent, the Packers could dominate the league. Their top running back last year started as a wide receiver. Martellus Bennett, their new tight end, could have a really big year this year. I expect the Packers to win the NFC North.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@gardenman

Love this time of year!! 

Since I am new to your forum, I have a question. You said you will post your picks on Sunday. Is that when we all should post our picks, too?? Thks!

Read somewhere that the Eagles may go with just Wentz and Foles. To me that is extremely risky. We see too many instances, unfortunately, where QBs are sidelined not just for a game or two, but for multiple weeks. I hope Pederson and Co. put a third QB on the roster. 

Go Eagles!!!!

Respected Contributor

@yellowBeetle, I usually wait for THE gardenman to post his, usually on Wed or Thur, then I post mine.  He has MUCH more knowledge than I do, I pick from the heart, not the head, which is why I do not bet $$$

Welcome to the thread!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Trusted Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

@yellowBeetle, I usually wait for THE gardenman to post his, usually on Wed or Thur, then I post mine.  He has MUCH more knowledge than I do, I pick from the heart, not the head, which is why I do not bet $$$

Welcome to the thread!!

Hi @redwingsgal!

Thanks for the welcome!!

I will wait a bit too, then, to post my picks! (Will ALWAYS let @gardenman post his first!!)

@gardenman is so knowledgeable about all things, NFL!! I love reading his in-depth analyses and learn so much from his posts!!

And I, too, have a tendency to often pick from my heart, rather than my head! Our family makes weekly picks and it is a running joke that I never pick the Patriots just because I am not a fan of either Brady or Belichick. Very silly I know. (And I apologize to any fans of the Patriots out there reading this!) But on this forum I will try and not let my subjective likes and dislikes get in the way!!

Esteemed Contributor

@yellowBeetle  Apology accepted!   Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

The only good thing about summer being over ... FOOTBALL ....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LindaSal wrote:

@yellowBeetle  Apology accepted!   Smiley Happy

@LindaSal

Thanks!!!  Woman Wink Smiley Happy