Respected Contributor

Re: Week One of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Week One and we Lions fans already want a refund on our Directv.

Megatron MUST be hurt and they are not saying it.  ONE reception???

Good thing God made Michigan State!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

Week One and we Lions fans already want a refund on our Directv.

Megatron MUST be hurt and they are not saying it.  ONE reception???

Good thing God made Michigan State!!!

I've never understood how Detroit uses Megatron. He routinely beats double and even triple teams, but the Lions don't seem to throw the ball to him all that much. If I'm the Lion's quarterback every pass is going three feet over Megatron's head where only he can get it. Give him a chance and he almost always comes down with the ball. For whatever reason they don't give him a lot of chances. He's big, fast, dominating, durable, with good hands. Why don't they use him more? It's a mystery. I'm guessing their quarterback is more focused on making the reads and throwing where the scheme says the ball should go, but if you've got Megatron on your side, throw out the schemes and toss him the ball.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Wore my shirt and sweatshirt for my beloved Jets, and they won! I was food shopping in the morning and the cashier said to me "is it game day?" I said I wear my gear proudly the first game when the team has a clean slate and has a chance.

Honored Contributor

That's about as bad a first half as the Eagles could have. The good news is we stayed pretty healthy, but lots, and lots of dumb mistakes. The Falcons are daring the Eagles to pass the ball on them. They're playing tight man to man on Jordan Matthews, but then a zone on the rest of the defense while keeping eight or nine men in the box to limit the running game. The Eagles offensive line is out of synch, the receivers are out of synch, and everyone just needs to calm down and just play football.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles almost made the impossible comeback and pulled it out, but penalties, dropped passes, and a missed field goal killed the comeback.  A better played first half and we wouldn't have needed a big comeback, but that's the way the game goes. Oh well, onto next week. Hopefully the team takes this as a learning experience and moves on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

have to disagree with you gardenman......i dont believe that suggs was going after bradford to hurt him.....in that preseason game.

secondly, i dont wish that ANYONE would be hurt in any game!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

So, Eli Manning told runningback Rashad Jennings not to score in the Cowboys game when a touchdown would have put the Giants ahead by ten with about two minutes to play. Does anyone have a good reason why he'd do that? The argument I'm hearing is that Eli wanted to take more time off the clock by running more plays, but I'm not sure I buy that. If you give the Cowboys the ball back with them down by ten with two minutes to play, they'd have to score, recover an insides kick, then score again, all in about two minutes time.

The skeptic in me wonders if gambling played any role in Eli's odd command. Gambling is a big business in America and football is arguably the sport that has the most money bet on it. The over/under in the game was 49 points. The score was 23-21 (total of 44) for the Giants when Eli told Jennings not to score. A touchdown then would have made the point total 51, and rewarded those who bet the over. A field goal there by the Giants would have kept the total score at 47 and rewarded those who bet the under. Coincidence? Just a bone-headed innocent mistake by Eli? Probably. It's not like there's any organized crime in the NJ/NY area that could have "encouraged" Eli to keep the score down.

I'm betting the league is already quietly looking into this and nosing around to see if Eli is a gambler, or has any shadier acquaintances. The league can absolutely not tolerate players intentionally altering scores for gambling purposes. It's very unusual to find a quarterback in a close divisional game telling a guy not to score a touchdown that would essentially put the game away.

If, and this is a huge if, anyone was used to manipulate scoring, the quarterback would be the obvious choice. If the over/under was 49 and the score was 17-14 and Eli made the call it would still be a head scratcher, but with the score being 23-21 with an over/under of 49 it looks a bit iffier. The NFL is very paranoid about the influence of gambling on the sport, and I'm betting this game has gotten their attention. Eli is likely going to have to talk to a league investigator about why he said what he did and what the heck was he thinking. It may all be perfectly innocent and just a bone-headed call by Eli, but I'm betting the league will do their due diligence to be sure. Who knows? We may have a new "gate" issue for the league to deal with.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

So, Eli Manning told runningback Rashad Jennings not to score in the Cowboys game when a touchdown would have put the Giants ahead by ten with about two minutes to play. Does anyone have a good reason why he'd do that? The argument I'm hearing is that Eli wanted to take more time off the clock by running more plays, but I'm not sure I buy that. If you give the Cowboys the ball back with them down by ten with two minutes to play, they'd have to score, recover an insides kick, then score again, all in about two minutes time.

The skeptic in me wonders if gambling played any role in Eli's odd command. Gambling is a big business in America and football is arguably the sport that has the most money bet on it. The over/under in the game was 49 points. The score was 23-21 (total of 44) for the Giants when Eli told Jennings not to score. A touchdown then would have made the point total 51, and rewarded those who bet the over. A field goal there by the Giants would have kept the total score at 47 and rewarded those who bet the under. Coincidence? Just a bone-headed innocent mistake by Eli? Probably. It's not like there's any organized crime in the NJ/NY area that could have "encouraged" Eli to keep the score down.

I'm betting the league is already quietly looking into this and nosing around to see if Eli is a gambler, or has any shadier acquaintances. The league can absolutely not tolerate players intentionally altering scores for gambling purposes. It's very unusual to find a quarterback in a close divisional game telling a guy not to score a touchdown that would essentially put the game away.

If, and this is a huge if, anyone was used to manipulate scoring, the quarterback would be the obvious choice. If the over/under was 49 and the score was 17-14 and Eli made the call it would still be a head scratcher, but with the score being 23-21 with an over/under of 49 it looks a bit iffier. The NFL is very paranoid about the influence of gambling on the sport, and I'm betting this game has gotten their attention. Eli is likely going to have to talk to a league investigator about why he said what he did and what the heck was he thinking. It may all be perfectly innocent and just a bone-headed call by Eli, but I'm betting the league will do their due diligence to be sure. Who knows? We may have a new "gate" issue for the league to deal with.

Eli misjudged and made a mistake....no way! Any impropriety on Eli's part; we are talking the Mannings!  

Esteemed Contributor

I hope nothing comes out of this: that it was just a misjudgment on Eli's part. The NFL doesn't need anymore distractions. However, Eli has been the league long enough to know better, so the whole thing is strange.

Gardenman, what's going on with Bradford? He had x-rays on his ankle. They were negative, and Kelly doesn't make anything of it, but why did the team feel it was necessary for Bradford to have x-rays? Was he really hurt and no one is mentioning it, or just a precaution due to his past injuries?

Also, everyone is second -guessing Kelly's call, wondering why he went for a field goal rather than going for it on 4th and 1. If Parkey had made the field goal, they wouldn't be talking about it. Coaches have to make last minute decisions, and things don't always turn out well.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Trusted Contributor

As a Cowboy's fan I have to admit I was glad to see the Eagles lose last night, but I do have mixed feelings as I'm also an OU fan so always want to see Sam Bradford and Demarco Murray do well.  They have such a history of injuries so hope they stay healthy.  Of course it was much easier to root for Murray when he played for the Cowboys, but I was surprised he got so few yards last night.  Maybe the Cowboy's offensive line really is just that good.

But it's a long season and I expect the Eagles to give the Cowboys a much better game next week.  Looking forward to a good game and hopefully the Cowboy's won't have the mistakes they made in their first game and get another win.