Honored Contributor

Re: Week One of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I cant believe Jason Peters is 40 and thats who the Cowboys will trust to keep Dak upright!!!!--they've eased him in by first signining him to the Cowboys practice squad.... -Alriggghty then! And until the geriatic player gets the starting assignment, rookie Tyler Smith will start and Dak is confident that he expects Tyler "to be prepared"......well Cowboy fans everywhere "hope so" too.....🙄

There's a rumor that the Rams "left a light on and a locker open" for Odell Beckham Jr.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Colts might have found another gem. Reich is praising undrafted rookie Dallis Flowers, who plays corner and special teams. He made the final roster and can cover one-on-one besides return ability. Flowers made huge plays in the preseason games, and can be valuable to the Colts. He still needs practice, but has the talent to go far. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Putting Peters on the practice squad is interesting. They can only elevate two guys from the practice squad to the roster for a game and they have their backup QB and kicker already on the practice squad. One of those three will have to get elevated to the regular roster before Sunday or they won't be able to play. There is a rule that lets a team carry an extra offensive lineman on the roster for use in an emergency. Maybe that's the Cowboy's plan with Peters? Once he takes the field though, he's got to finish out the game there. And I think every other o-lineman has to be hurt before he can even take the field.

I don't understand a lot of the Cowboy's roster building this year. They're acting like their bottom-tier guys on the 53-man roster would be snatched up in a heartbeat if released. Eh, I don't think so. It's not an especially talented roster. Mid-tier at best in my opinion. So, why hide your backup QB, kicker, and potential starting left tackle on the practice squad? The Cowboys should be able to waive ten guys on the 53 and have them slip through waivers. I just don't see those guys being irreplaceable.  

They let 27 guys test free agency this past year, so they weren't in love with them then. There are another seventeen queued up for free agency in 2023. They don't seem to truly love their whole roster, so why go to these extremes to hide guys on the practice squad? It doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And to follow up on Jason Peters. Eagles' fans were well and truly over him in 2020. He was bad. He was okay last year for the Bears, but he's not the Jason Peters of five years ago. He's better than nothing, but he got run past, run over, and was just a mess in his last year in Philly. He's big, and can still be a decent run blocker, but I'd want a really good backup QB if I was starting him full-time He gave up a lot of sacks and QB hurries in 2020. Doug Pederson kept throwing him out there (along with Alshon Jeffrey) instead of the kids who were playing better. Jordan Mailata was a beast at left tackle when Peters was off the field, but Doug kept putting Peters back out there. Peters gave up six sacks, five QB hits and seventeen QB hurries last year with the Bears. He's not the greatest guy to plug in and play.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Putting Peters on the practice squad is interesting. They can only elevate two guys from the practice squad to the roster for a game and they have their backup QB and kicker already on the practice squad. One of those three will have to get elevated to the regular roster before Sunday or they won't be able to play. There is a rule that lets a team carry an extra offensive lineman on the roster for use in an emergency. Maybe that's the Cowboy's plan with Peters? Once he takes the field though, he's got to finish out the game there. And I think every other o-lineman has to be hurt before he can even take the field.

I don't understand a lot of the Cowboy's roster building this year. They're acting like their bottom-tier guys on the 53-man roster would be snatched up in a heartbeat if released. Eh, I don't think so. It's not an especially talented roster. Mid-tier at best in my opinion. So, why hide your backup QB, kicker, and potential starting left tackle on the practice squad? The Cowboys should be able to waive ten guys on the 53 and have them slip through waivers. I just don't see those guys being irreplaceable.  

They let 27 guys test free agency this past year, so they weren't in love with them then. There are another seventeen queued up for free agency in 2023. They don't seem to truly love their whole roster, so why go to these extremes to hide guys on the practice squad? It doesn't make a lot of sense. 

@gardenman 

Great analysis and I totally agree---WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING?????---Of course ya gotta consider who is making all these decisions! ....there's your answer! God bless Jerry Jones long may he be the Cowboys GM and "coach"......(says the NFC East!)

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

TERRIFIC NEWS-----

WASHINGTON NAMES RYAN KERRIGAN AS THEIR NEW ASSISTANT D LINE COACH!!!! smileys-cheerleading-755332.gif

The players like and respect him especially the key players, Allen, Sweat, and Young,......(sounds like a law firm--LOL)

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

@gardenman 

Great analysis and I totally agree---WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY DOING?????---Of course ya gotta consider who is making all these decisions! ....there's your answer! God bless Jerry Jones long may he be the Cowboys GM and "coach"......(says the NFC East!)

@Spurt 

It's interesting to watch, but they have a lot of guys who would slip through waivers and could end up on the practice squad without a lot of trouble. Since both of their backup QBs are about equal, some are expecting the Cowboys to rotate them from week to week until after week six. Why? It's all a little crazy. They could pretty easily replace their bottom ten guys on the roster without a lot of trouble. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

One of the things you're hearing a lot in Philly this year is that the vibe around the team is the best it's been in years. The players are happy. The coaches are happy. There are no obvious holes on the roster. There's good depth pretty much everywhere. The kids from the last few seasons have gotten better. No one seems to have regressed. The fans are happy. Even the Philly media has a hard time finding anything to write about in a negative way. Of course, that would all change with a loss to the Lions in week one, but for now, everyone is happy and there's a good vibe around the team.

It'll be interesting to see how Carson Wentz does with the Commanders. This is the first season in a while where he's starting out healthy. Last year he broke his foot in camp. That was followed by two high ankle sprains that he played through, then covid. Being fully healthy for game one is a nice change of pace for him. 

Jason Peters says it'll be two or three weeks before he's ready to play. That timeline may get dramatically shortened depending on how the rookie plays this week. The Bucs have a pretty good pass rush and if the kid gets killed, or gets Dak killed, then Peters may find himself ready next Sunday.  I'm not sure there's a rookie in the league under more pressure than Tyler Smith in that game. A nationally televised game against one of the best teams in the NFC. You've had all of about two weeks to prepare and were doing so on an injured ankle. Yeah, what could possibly go wrong?

And speaking of rookie offensive linemen under pressure there's Evan Neal of the Giants. Yeah, he didn't look good in the preseason. Now he's got to face the Titans in a game where the Giants are outmatched. He's probably not going to look great in that game. I get the feeling his head is swimming at this point and he's a bit lost. He's physically a match for any DE in the league, but the skill/experience thing is lacking a bit. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Lamar Jackson is "locked in" for 2022 despite not having a new contract. They haven't come to any deal, and it seems that Jackson is OK to play under his rookie contract, at least for now. He doesn't have an agent, which is unusual as most NFL players have one. I wonder why he decided to represent himself. 

Many hosts in fantasy football podcasts are encouraging fans to draft Saquon Barkley. They think that he will have a break out season. What are they seeing that I'm not? I am not going to draft Barkley, as he hasn't shown much in the past few years. I might include him in daily lineups later if he is doing well. 

Maybe they feel like this because of the new coach and manager, but I need to see Barkley actually do something before jumping on the bandwagon.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Lamar Jackson doesn't really need an agent. He can get a five-year $250 million deal by himself without a lot of trouble. An agent would take 3% of that or about $7.5 million, so why give away $7.5 million if you don't have to? He's following the Kirk Cousin/Dak Prescott blueprint. Threaten the team with free agency. They'll have to franchise tag him. Then he gets the average of the top five for 2023 on the exclusive tag which they'd use and that would be around $47 million. If they tag him again in 2024, he gets 120% of what he got in 2023, or around $56 million. And then they're out of tags and he can go to the highest bidder. So, he's looking at around $103 million over the two-year span of 2023 and 2024. Which is $51.5 million per year on average without doing anything. 

The issue for the Ravens is all of that franchise tag money comes out at once. None of it's pro-rated. His cap hit this year is $23+ million. Aaron Rodgers, the $50 million QB has a cap hit this year of $28.5 million since much of his $50 million is in bonus and option money. Facing a potential cap hit of $47 million to then $56 million makes the Ravens very likely to try and work something out way before they get to that point.

Now, Lamar Jackson will want a Deshaun Watson type of guarantee which is a problem for the Ravens as the guaranteed money has to be put up at the contract signing. Even an NFL team owner can have a hard time finding $250+ million in cash. If they can't do it, then Jackson can find someone who will in 2023, 2024, or 2025 as a free agent. He's in a really good spot right now. He's getting $23+ million this year. And then averaging out to about $50+ million in 2023 and 2024. Then free agency possible with a monster deal to rewrite the record books. He's in a very good spot.

Saquon Barkley has potential, but he just hasn't flashed like he did as a rookie. Now part of that is the line in front of him and part of that is him. He tries for the home run too much instead of the four or five yard pickup. I wouldn't take him as a fantasy player. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!