Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the NFL Regular Season!!!

@redwingsgal wrote:

@LonestarBabs wrote:

Chiefs Kingdom is fired up! I live in Cowboys country, so can you imagine the looks I am getting while driving around in my car outfitted with KC Chiefs accessories? Carrying my KC Chiefs Dooney & Burke purse...

Cowboys sportcasters seem to think the 'boys will roll all over KC but as usual in this market there is a lot of bluster and bravado.

It will be a good game. Both teams are minus key players but will do just fine to make it a match worth watching.

The Cowboy fans are the WORST fans in the NFL.  Me and my DH have traveled to many stadiums for games and even when they win, they turn ugly on any opponent's fans.  Once, after a Cowboy win in Dallas, a male cowboys fan was trashing a female Eagles fan horribly on the way out of jerry's world.  Class, true class.  Good Luck to the Chiefs!

@redwingsgal

Gee the Cowboy fans were actually feisty for once---that's a novelty---from my experience they are usually totally complacement and care more about the beverages in the stadium then the wins (although some can be a bit snippity--glowing on their past glory days under Jimmy Johnson and the America's Team moniker ).....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Luck has officially been placed on IR, ending his chance of playing this year. I'm not surprised; since hearing that he was seeking another opinion, I figured it was bad news. Ballard had dismissed the thought that Luck's  injury was career ending; that he just needs rest and more rehab. Hopefully, he'll be ready to go next year. I don't know what the Colts have in mind for another quarterback.

As disappointing as the news is, I think it's better this way. The Colts' season is over, pending a miracle, and putting Luck in games that don't count would do him no good. Best to get him healthy.

Someone on the Colts forum mentioned that they should sign RG111. I don't think so... he couldn't stay healthy. Kaepernick is always brought up and Tim Tebow and Manziel have also been mentioned. This isn't from the Colts' front office, but names by fans.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

Hey TEGAN did you hear what Bill Polian said 

Polian said today on ESPN that the Colts’ staff has gone about building the team the wrong way, trying to build a running team and a running offensive line when they should have made protecting Luck their primary priority. This new staff came in and said, ‘We’re going to be the toughest guys on the block. We’re going to get big road graders, run, stop the run.’ In Indianapolis? With Andrew Luck? In a division where you play 10 games in perfect weather every year? The team you have to beat is Tom Brady and the New England Patriots? And you want to come in and play like you’re playing in the AFC North? That contributed to it because you didn’t have a pass protecting line,” Polian said.  

olian said that when he was building the Colts’ roster, he made sure he had a good pass-blocking offensive line in front of Peyton Manning, and that the new Colts regime failed to follow that lead.

“That wasn’t the case when Andrew first came in there and that contributed to this,” Polian said.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Shutting down Luck was smart. I dare say they'll be getting lots of opinions on what to do next. The reports are the Colts will sign Josh Johnson as their spare QB. Figuring out why he has pain is the big key right now. Is there a structural issue? A spur, scar tissue, foreign object/debris, etc. Is it purely inflamed, but if so, why? What's causing the inflammation? If he needs surgery they'll want it out of the way as quickly as possible. Shoulder, neck and back surgery are always a tad iffy. It's a complicated joint with lots of moving parts. I'm betting his MRI's are getting lots of viewing time these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

The Browns/Bengals story continues to evolve. It now looks like the Browns were solely responsible for the mishap. They tried to pass the issue off onto the Bengals, but the Bengals refuted the Browns version of events and the reporters who have looked into the matter are now convinced the Browns were solely at fault. Lovely!

I dare say the period right after the fiasco was interesting to observe. I have this vision of Hue Jackson having to have his hands pried free from the throat of whoever had to break the news to him. I have no idea how good or bad a coach Hue Jackson really is, because the Browns are just so dysfunctional that it's not fair to judge him. 

For the sake of the Browns fans, you'd like to see the league take over control of the Browns. The Browns are giving their fanbase ulcers and as a public health issue the league should take over the team and assign someone reasonably sane to run things.

@gardenman

I was thinking the same thing.....I was thinking that the NFL League Office should call the Brown's owner in and read him the riot act and threaten to take the team away due to incompetency!!!  

@Spurt

At the very least the team owner needs to flush the idiots running the team now. Those baseball analytic guys they've put in power are a disaster. A good GM with all of the picks the Browns have could flip the team's fortunes in a hurry. Analytics have a place, but give me a good football guy over them any day. I'm not sure they didn't dodge a bullet with McCarron as I'm not sure he's special. They'll likely have their pick of QB's coming out this year, so go for a guy who's special and hope for the best.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

The Browns/Bengals story continues to evolve. It now looks like the Browns were solely responsible for the mishap. They tried to pass the issue off onto the Bengals, but the Bengals refuted the Browns version of events and the reporters who have looked into the matter are now convinced the Browns were solely at fault. Lovely!

I dare say the period right after the fiasco was interesting to observe. I have this vision of Hue Jackson having to have his hands pried free from the throat of whoever had to break the news to him. I have no idea how good or bad a coach Hue Jackson really is, because the Browns are just so dysfunctional that it's not fair to judge him. 

For the sake of the Browns fans, you'd like to see the league take over control of the Browns. The Browns are giving their fanbase ulcers and as a public health issue the league should take over the team and assign someone reasonably sane to run things.

@gardenman

I was thinking the same thing.....I was thinking that the NFL League Office should call the Brown's owner in and read him the riot act and threaten to take the team away due to incompetency!!!  

@Spurt

At the very least the team owner needs to flush the idiots running the team now. Those baseball analytic guys they've put in power are a disaster. A good GM with all of the picks the Browns have could flip the team's fortunes in a hurry. Analytics have a place, but give me a good football guy over them any day. I'm not sure they didn't dodge a bullet with McCarron as I'm not sure he's special. They'll likely have their pick of QB's coming out this year, so go for a guy who's special and hope for the best.

@gardenman

Yep, those baseball guys and their analytics haven't come through at all and the Browns are in even worse shape...........

Well a lot of the NFL scouts and draft analysts are re-thinking this draft class and a lot of them are now saying that the QB's coming out in the 2018 draft aren't as good as they initially thought.....Even USC's Darnold doesnt have that football mind and he's not a student of the game...Although the guy does appear to have a brain because he said he might decide to stay in school to avoid being picked by the Browns...sad.............

Honored Contributor

Ouch!!! DeShaun Watson tore his ACL in practice today and is done for the year. The Texans finally got a franchise QB and now he's out. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

SPURT, protecting Luck has been the main issue for the Colts the past few years. They just weren't getting the right offensive line players. Polian has hit the nail on the head with those statements.

What could go worse for the Texans? They finally get a good quarterback, and he's already done. The game could go either way now with them facing Tom Savage. Just unbelieveable.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Ouch!!! DeShaun Watson tore his ACL in practice today and is done for the year. The Texans finally got a franchise QB and now he's out. 

@gardenman

OMG----Woman Sad

Honored Contributor

If any GM doubted the need for a good backup QB, this year is a very good reminder. Here we are at the halfway point and DeShaun Watson, Andrew Luck,  and Aaron Rodgers are gone for the year. Sam Bradford has barely played. Lots of other QB's have been dinged and missed a game or two. Depth at QB is pretty much vital for survival. It may be a bit of a luxury carrying multiple guys who can start at QB, but if you don't have them your season can end quickly. 

The Eagles are pretty safe with Nick Foles and Nate Sudfeld in reserve. The Patriots are at very high risk with just Hoyer as their backup and him just getting there yesterday. (By the way, the Packers tried to intercept Hoyer on his way to New England, but Hoyer opted to go to New England instead.)

It's also important for teams to get their backups some practice time. A lot of teams just have the backups standing on the sideline watching practice, but you've got to get those guys some work. (The Eagles under Doug Pederson have implemented a voluntary extra practice session after the full team practices for the kids and backups to get extra work in with the coaches one on one and that seems to be working out pretty well.)

The Eagles typically make sure all of the guys active for the game (with the exception of the backup QB) gets a chance to participate in each game. That started under Chip Kelly and has continued under Doug Pederson. About the only position that doesn't get rotated during a game is the offensive line, but the backup offensive linemen get on the field for special teams work, so they still get some game time in each week. When the team needs to plug a guy in, he's already warmed up and ready to go.

The Eagles have three top wide receivers in Alshon Jeffery, Torrey Smith and Nelson Agholor, but the two rooks (Marcus Johnson and Mack Hollins) are on the field five or ten offensive plays a game in addition to special teams work. Every runningback sees the field. The same is true on defense. Every DB and linebacker will see time on the field. The defensive linemen are rotated constantly.

A lot of teams just keep the starters in until they break down and then dust off the backup, but the Eagles make it a point to rotate in everyone, every game, just to keep them ready for when they're really needed.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!