Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Doug Pederson was miked up for the game last week against the Niners and a pre-game conversation he had with John Lynch (the Niners GM) was pretty informative. Lynch told Pederson that he was impressed by Carson Wentz and Pederson then raved about the kid and said his biggest job was to not mess the kid up.

I loved hearing that. More often than not a coach will try to reshape a QB into his vision of what the QB should be, instead of what the QB is. When you've got a guy who's "special," you don't try to change him. The Eagles have added in some of Carson's plays from college that he liked to run since he's comfortable with them and they're working fine. 

Doug's adapting his system to fit Carson Wentz and that's good to see. More often than not a coach will try to squeeze a round peg into a square hole just to prove he can do it. Doug's not doing that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Detroit dominated Green Bay last night. Losing their starting quarterbacks has affected these teams; the score might have closer if Rodgers had been playing. Detroit  still could have won, but there most likely would have been a last minute scoring drive by the Packers.

Carson Wentz is already being mentioned as an MVP candidate. The season is only halfway through, but his abilities are already noticed. It's not happening this year, but I would like to see the Eagles and Saints play each other. NO has an outstanding defense and is lighting up the NFC South. The Eagles defense is just as good. Drew Brees and Carson Wentz: what a matchup that would be!

Onr analyst was talking about the Cowboys still being 'America's team." It doesn't bother me, but Gardenman and SPURT, does that kind of talk annoy you? The Cowboys win and everyone praises them, even though it's far from concluisve if they'll make the playoffs. Granted, Dak and Zeke are good, but it sounds like the Cowboys are always favored by analysts. I think Romo had a little favortism, but he sounded professional enough not to show it much.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

WE BEAT THE PACKERS IN LAMBEAU!!!

Get your affairs in order, people, our time is short!!!

(And please, do NOT blame this on AR injury, a lot of teams have lost star players!)

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw

They can call the Cowboys whatever they want. As long as we beat them on 11/19 and again on 12/31, I don't care what anyone calls them. That 11/19 game is a huge game for both teams. If the Eagles win, it essentially knocks the Cowboys out of the NFC East race and relegates them to fighting for a wild card spot. If the Cowboys win that game, then the NFC East becomes a dogfight. Oddly enough the Eagles players are hoping Ezekiel Elliott isn't supended for either game. They want to beat the Cowboys while they're at their best. (The fans don't really mind facing the Cowboys without Elliot, we just want the win.)

I'd like to see the Cowboys lose on 11/19 and need the win on 12/31 to get a wild card slot and the Eagles bench their starters for the playoffs, only to still have Nick Foles (or maybe Nate Sudfeld) lead the backups against the Cowboys starters and get the win. That would be epic! Getting knocked out of the playoffs by the backups of a rival would be amazing. Not so much for Cowboy fans, but Philly would love it.

To this point it's hard to argue with Carson Wentz as MVP, but lots of stuff can happen between now and the end of the season. Locally people are touting Doug Pederson as coach of the year, but I'm not sure my vote wouldn't go to Sean McVay instead. What he's done with the Rams is pretty darn impressive. Doug's done a good job, but I'm not sure McVay doesn't more deserve that title this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

(And please, do NOT blame this on AR injury, a lot of teams have lost star players!)

You have a point there; AR has nothing to do with the defense, and that's where the Packers struggled. I just happen to like Rodgers, though I have nothing against Detroit. 

It's always nice to beat the Packers at Lambeau. Last year the Colts dominated them on their home turf. Despite liking Rodgers, I was happy to see my team win that game. it was one of the highlights in a disappointing season for the Colts. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw

I think the media and networks yuck up the Cowboys because they draw in good ratings (NFL fans either like them or hate them...that "America's Team" moniker really irks a lot of fans so people tune in some fans hoping that they will lose, others that they would win)......Yep, that "America's Team" title bothers me, first because they are our rival team, and also the arrogance of Dallas's front office in the past Tex Schramm who reveled in that nickname and threw it out there every chance he got and now Jerry Jones...two of.the most egotistical sport's owners in all of sports.....

The Cowboy's glory days were back in the 90's and they haven't come close to what they were...but still they are one of the teams glorified by the networks.....Before they got Zak and Zeke a lot of Cowboy fans where I lived were falling out of love with the Cowboys ..... a lot of them hated Romo and/or Jerry Jones....and I was seeing a lot of other team's NFL jerseys around town....but with Zak's and Zeke's emergence a lot of jumped back on the bandwagon.....To me the Cowboys still have a lot of holes to fill especially on defense before they return to elite status...JMHO... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@redwingsgal wrote:

@redwingsgal

CONGRATS on the win---the Lions did ROAR!!!!  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw

They can call the Cowboys whatever they want. As long as we beat them on 11/19 and again on 12/31, I don't care what anyone calls them. That 11/19 game is a huge game for both teams. If the Eagles win, it essentially knocks the Cowboys out of the NFC East race and relegates them to fighting for a wild card spot. If the Cowboys win that game, then the NFC East becomes a dogfight. Oddly enough the Eagles players are hoping Ezekiel Elliott isn't supended for either game. They want to beat the Cowboys while they're at their best. (The fans don't really mind facing the Cowboys without Elliot, we just want the win.)

I'd like to see the Cowboys lose on 11/19 and need the win on 12/31 to get a wild card slot and the Eagles bench their starters for the playoffs, only to still have Nick Foles (or maybe Nate Sudfeld) lead the backups against the Cowboys starters and get the win. That would be epic! Getting knocked out of the playoffs by the backups of a rival would be amazing. Not so much for Cowboy fans, but Philly would love it.

To this point it's hard to argue with Carson Wentz as MVP, but lots of stuff can happen between now and the end of the season. Locally people are touting Doug Pederson as coach of the year, but I'm not sure my vote wouldn't go to Sean McVay instead. What he's done with the Rams is pretty darn impressive. Doug's done a good job, but I'm not sure McVay doesn't more deserve that title this year.

@gardenman

I would give coach of the year honors to McVay....Maybe the Redskins shouldve fired Gruden and promoted McVay to head coach....I like the way he transformed Goff and the offense....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, it would be hard to choose between Doug and McVay. Both have done a good job, but considering McVay has done it in one year, I'd probably give him the edge.

There's a great video from last Sunday's game of Lane Johnson abusing Von Miller. It was a quick pass to the left and Von Miller tried to duck his shoulder to get under Lane Johnson. Lane spun around and clubbed Von Miller in the back of the right shoulder and just spun him around and to the ground. Von Miller looked like he'd been hit by a truck. I've never seen anything quite like that. It's pretty impressive to watch. I've probably watched the video twenty times so far. It's amazing to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!