Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

@sunshine45 wrote:

its being reported that FRANK REICH is out in indianapolis!

Yeah, not really fair to him. It happens though. He won't be out of work for long. He's a good coach in an impossible situation.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

There's a good chance Frank Reich ends up in Philly. Shane Steichen our current OC will get a head coach opportunity after the season and Frank would be a good option to replace him. Nick Sirianni has a good relationship with Reich and Reich was OC here under Doug Pederson, so the front office knows him. The pieces fit pretty nicely. Either here or in Jacksonville with Pederson.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's not a surprise. Last week when Irsay said that Reich's job was safe, it was the kiss of death. 

In a surprise move, the Colts named former OL player Jeff Saturday as interim coach. Saturday had been in contact with the team for a long time and is in the Colts Ring of Honor. He had recently stepped down from coaching high school football in Georgia. 

Saturday was an amazing player, knows football well, is respected by others and an all around good guy. I like the choice. I don't know if the team can turn things around, but he will have a positive impact on the players and is a postive force for the locker room. I don't know who will be calling plays from now on. 

I'll be interested to be how everything works out. I'm quite sure that Reich will find another job soon. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

That's not a surprise. Last week when Irsay said that Reich's job was safe, it was the kiss of death. 

In a surprise move, the Colts named former OL player Jeff Saturday as interim coach. Saturday had been in contact with the team for a long time and is in the Colts Ring of Honor. He had recently stepped down from coaching high school football in Georgia. 

Saturday was an amazing player, knows football well, is respected by others and an all around good guy. I like the choice. I don't know if the team can turn things around, but he will have a positive impact on the players and is a postive force for the locker room. I don't know who will be calling plays from now on. 

I'll be interested to be how everything works out. I'm quite sure that Reich will find another job soon. 

@teganslaw 

Sorry to hear about Reich......I have liked Jeff Saturday as a player and football media commentator---seems like a good choicd

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

i dont know anything about SATURDAY, but i will say this......he is one good looking man! lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The former player with high school coaching experience is becoming something of a trend. Josh McCown almost landed the Texans job, and now Saturday for the Colts. His big adjustment will be the technical stuff. Adjusting to the headsets, deciding when to challenge a call, and getting veteran coaches on his staff to fall in line. His head will feel like it's about to explode for a few weeks as he adjusts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Jeff Saturday is walking into a minefield. NFL players aren't the most open-minded guys in the world and bringing in a former high school coach to coach them won't go over well in the locker room. The locker room already had issues with Darius (now Shaquille) Leonard and Zach Pascal both expressing frustration at the trade of Wentz. They weren't alone in their frustration. They were just the two who gave voice to it.

Saturday could be a great guy, a brilliant head coach, but with his coaching background, the locker room won't rally around him. Pro players tend not to rally around college coaches from big programs with great histories. It's been ten years since Saturday played the game. He hasn't even coached high school football for two years. His last year as a high school coach was 2020. Now he's the head coach of a professional team?

Colts' players will say the right things, but privately, what's said in the locker room will be a whole different story. Saturday will be viewed as a spy for the owner/front office there to pick out which players should stay, and which should go.

The Colts look to be a team in need of a total rebuild at this point. They have a great running back and a great guard with the rest mostly average players. They're in trouble. The headspace in that locker room is not going to be good. They have John Fox and Gus Bradley on the staff, both guys with NFL head coaching experience, but give the job to Saturday? 

Does Irsay have to take a league-mandated drug test? If so, is he passing it? A lot of his recent moves are not the sanest we've ever seen. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Jim Irsay had a press conference. Part of what he said: "There is fear in the league, and Saturday doesn't have that. He doesn't know fear, knows football and is highly experienced." I don't understand what Irsay means by fear, but I can't always figure him out. The two had kept in touch and are close friends so maybe he owed a favor? I have no idea. 

Saturday said that he was surprised by being chosen interim coach, and he is prepared for the job. 

Cardinal fans are now calling for Kliff Kingsbury to be fired. Kyler Murray and DeAndre Hopkins had an argument on the sidelines during the game. Things aren't going well in Arizona. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I thought this might be a relatively stable year for head coaches. I was wrong. Rhule and Reich are both already gone. Dennis Allen, Kliff Kingsbury, Lovie Smith, Josh McDaniels, Nathaniel Hackett, and Ron Rivera, are all on the hot seat. Mike McCarthy still has to win playoff games to lock in his job. A few of the older guys may just decide to walk. Bill Belichick and Andy Reid have proven about all they can prove. Sean McVay debated taking a broadcast job in 2022. He may opt for that in 2023.

Two down., how many more to go? 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 

CONGRATS on the Ravens WIN--a fine showing by the team..........

@gardenman @teganslaw 

I think Snyder has more problems to worry about other than getting rid of Rivera right now...he will probably let the new owner deal with that....And the new owner would want "his guy" at the helm too

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”