Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

anyone with comcast having problems watching SNF tonight?

all of my other channels are okay.

it keeps cutting in and out and i really cannot watch it.

i have better luck with amazon prime! lol

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

so sorry about the commanders.....i thought that they were going to pull it off! sad ending for sure.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

The big issue for the Colts is the mental/psychological part. They need to put together a few good games and get their heads in a better place. A lot of football gets played between the earholes, and right now, the Colts are not in a good place between the earholes. They aren't playing confident, arrogant football. They aren't imposing their will on opponents. They have the talent to compete, but their psyche is not in a good place. Steal a win or two and build some confidence and they could be right back in this thing.

The Titans have six or seven loseable games on the schedule. If the Colts can get on a roll, and the Titans falter just a little, the Colts could get back in this thing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It looks like the Eastern divisions will be heavily represented in the playoffs this season. Despite the Commanders losing yesterday and slipping to 4-5, they're still tied for the last wildcard slot while the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys seem likely to reach the playoffs. The picture is pretty much the same in the AFC East. The Bills, Jets, and Dolphins seem pretty safe bets, while the Patriots are tied for the last slot over there. 

The new power rankings will be interesting to see. Have the Eagles crept to the head of the pack? The Eagles are the sole undefeated team left. Only one team, the Vikings, have just one loss now. And that loss was to the Eagles. The Vikings had been around seven in the rankings while the Eagles were second. Both could now advance. 

The Vikings are running away with the NFC North. They've got a four-game lead at this point. The Packers have three testing games coming up, playing the Cowboys, Titans, and Eagles. They could very well be 3-9 after those games. Do they bench Aaron Rodgers at some point and play the kid? Get him five starts (or so) this year so he'll be more prepared next year? Does Rodgers step aside gracefully? Green Bay's QB situation will be interesting to watch going forward. 

The Rams and Cards are in a free fall right now and need to go on one heck of a winning streak to have any playoff hopes. It's a big problem for the Rams as they don't have the draft picks to rebuild with. The Texans have a death grip on that first-overall pick in the 2023 draft and don't seem likely to let it go. Geno Smith is amazing the league, and the Seahawks who kept touting how great Drew Lock was while largely ignoring Geno in the preseason. They've now won four in a row and are only challenged by the Niners who are still two games back. You could have made big money betting Geno Smith and Jimmy G would be the top two NFC West QBs this year. Most fans didn't even know Geno was still in the league and Jimmy G was clearly on the way out in SF.

Geno, Jimmy G, and Daniel Jones will have an interesting winter. All will be free agents and have lots of suitors given how they've played this year. Geno and Jones could both get tagged to keep them locked up, but Jimmy G can't be tagged thanks to his deal. The exclusive tag for QBs should be around $46 million. The other tag price where they could still lose the guys would be the transition tag of $29 million where their teams would have the option to match or beat any other offer. Do any of those teams want to pay those guys at least $29 million a year? To get them to sign a three or four-year deal would likely require at least $30-$40 million a year. Maybe more. Do you let them walk?

Those three guys were largely on their way out of the league before the season and now could be the hottest off-season targets in free agency. It's a strange world sometimes. Lamar Jackson will almost certainly get tagged this year, but then his price will rise even more next year. The Ravens will need to figure out what to do there. 

Lots of teams (Texans, Steelers, Raiders, Broncos, Packers, Bears, Lions, Panthers, Rams, and Cards) are already into "onto next year" mode or are on the cusp of being there. Their GMs need to be looking at other teams' practice squads or elevating guys from their own squad to replace the guys they're willing to lose in the off-season. Bring them in and see what they can do. Finding a new starter or two now gives them a leg up on next season. 

No one's officially eliminated from the playoffs yet, but realistically, a lot of teams are out and know it. If you know you're out, it's time to start preparing for next year. Some roster shuffling, coach shuffling, and lots of scouting on potential free agents and draftable kids need to take place. Raid practice squads, bring in street free agents for a look. Play more of your own kids to get them experience. GMs don't want to be in this spot, but the moves they make now can have them better next year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Tom Grossi-Packers fan- had a video on his feeling about the team. His thoughts: the execution and play calling is bad, the main problems are Aaron Rodgers and Matt LeFleur. Injuries didn't help, but the Packers just are in a bad place.  This was suppose to be a "get right" game for them, instead it was "get right" for the Lions. 

I can relate with his misery. It's kind of comforting to know other fans are having problems with their teams, also. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Spurt 

so sorry about the commanders.....i thought that they were going to pull it off! sad ending for sure.....

@sunshine45 

Yep, I thought a miracle was going to happen with an unexpected win......but same ole demons---a turnover and a stupid penalty 😭

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Tom Grossi-Packers fan- had a video on his feeling about the team. His thoughts: the execution and play calling is bad, the main problems are Aaron Rodgers and Matt LeFleur. Injuries didn't help, but the Packers just are in a bad place.  This was suppose to be a "get right" game for them, instead it was "get right" for the Lions. 

I can relate with his misery. It's kind of comforting to know other fans are having problems with their teams, also. 

@teganslaw @gardenman 

Yep, disappointing year for my team -----but then I look around and in the NFC South I see their Division Leaders have the same record and one of those teams belong to Tom Brady and we are doing better than last year's Super Bowl Champs-----Its like a lyric in the song from the Sound Of Music, ...."and then I don't feel so bad"!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

WOW.....how about that AFC EAST?

all four teams with winning records at the moment!

Honored Contributor

Pretty much every team goes through a spell of things going badly. The Packers are a bit unique in that they have a great QB and a proven head coach and are imploding. A lot of the issues are probably the perception of the organization among the players and the coaches. The lack of big free agent signings, and no big trades to help the team. The players and coaches can often feel like the people above them don't care about winning. "We're laying it all on the line for them each week and all they care about is their bottom line?"

Perception tends to become reality given enough time. If the players feel the organization didn't do enough to help them win, they won't win. 

The Eagles did a great job of putting the team in the right head space this year. We entered the offseason weak at cornerback (got James Bradberry), weak at safety (got Chauncey Gardener-Johnson,) weak at linebacker, (got Kyzir White.) We needed a better WR and got AJ Brown. We needed to be better at stopping the run and traded up to get Jordan Davis. At the trading deadline, we brought in Robert Quinn. I don't think many of the players on the roster doubt that the Eagles want to win and win now.  They're spending the money, burning the draft picks, and bringing in good to great players. And many of those players are recent Pro Bowl-caliber guys.

If the Eagles don't succeed, it's all on the players. The front office did everything it could to put the team in a position to succeed. Now it's up to the team (players and coaches) to do their part. Many organizations did not do "all that they could" to win. They made business decisions more than football decisions. The players don't care about the business side. They want to win. If a coach has been begging for better wide receivers and there's a guy like OBJ out there and the organization says, "Nah! Not interested." The coaching staff will be spending time and energy being annoyed at the front office instead of preparing for an opponent. "How can they expect us to compete without a good player there?"

I don't think the Eagles' coaching staff is annoyed at any move the Eagles front office made or didn't make this year. They've been given the tools they need to succeed. You can't ask for more than that.

Now, this coming off-season things will change for the Eagles as we're going to lose a lot of those guys in free agency. Four to five defensive starters will likely leave in free agency and getting the guys left back into the right head space won't be easy. You pretty much start with a new team each year and getting them into the right mental state is not always easy. It worked for the Eagles this year. Not so much for the Packers.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

its being reported that FRANK REICH is out in indianapolis!