Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Good analysis....yes you are right, there are a lot of teams that need QBs....but who has the best opportunity to nab one, those at the top of the draft that can use their position, or those near the top that can wheel and deal to move up in the draft to get a QB they want, perhaps they can throw in extra picks as well, or include a desired player on their roster.....

Or teams can even make a trade for a veteran QB if desperate enough and feel the guy got a bad break and the wrong system but will be fine with their game plan.....

But teams in the middle of the pack in the draft dont have much to offer to move up as well as those at the bottom end of the draft and making the playoffs like the Saints/Bucs/Colts/Steelers what kind of an offer can they make unless they give away "the house"...Those with older good verteran QBs might make the decision that they can go another year or two....Teams like the Seahawks have greater priorities like building up their defense, QB can wait,,,,...Not every team that needs a QB or wants one can get one....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, if you need a QB and you're not in the top three or four slots of the draft, then you might be out of luck. To move up to get one, if it's even possible at all, is really expensive in terms of current and future picks.  

I think the Eagles were smart to nab Jalen Hurts when they did. If a team drafting say ten to fifteen wants a good young QB, Hurts might be their target. Lawrence and Fields look to go one-two this year. (Jets/Jags). Then what? Ehlinger? Mond? Trask? Book? Or do you call the Eagles and ask what the price is for Hurts. He'll have four years remaining on his rookie deal. He'll have a year's NFL experience under a good QB tutor. A first-half first-round pick and say a third and that would be a good return on a guy picked in the middle of the second round. If you're drafting in ten-fifteen the price to move up is insane. And the teams in the top half of the draft have no interest in moving down. You have to blow them away with a deal. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I think all of the Alabama and my fellow Oklahoma fans are pulling for Jalen Hurts to do well and get a chance to play.  Of course it will be hard to watch and cheer for him if/when he's playing for the Eagles against my Cowboys.  I'm already rooting for Baker (Browns) and Kyler (Cardinals).  Of course the Cardinals already beat the Cowboys this year and we play the Browns later.  I suspect the Browns will be winning that one too!

Trusted Contributor

@soonersis   Lets not play the Browns later - since we've already lost to them

once this season.  Let's play the Bengals instead.  Woman LOL

You think we'll have a better chance against Cincy?  I don't know how they are

doing this year.

I like Baker and Kyler also.  I don't know anything about Jalen.

Honored Contributor

@yellowrose 

Here's a link to a nice story about Jalen Hurts if you're interested.

https://www.al.com/sports/2020/08/the-backstory-on-jalen-hurts-viral-backpack.html 

Hurts is a kid that everyone loves. He was the starting QB for Alabama starting in game two of his freshman year and took them to the championship game where they lost to Clemson 35-31. In his sophomore season, he led Alabama to a 13-1 record and the championship where they beat Georgia in overtime 26-23. In his junior season, Alabama gave the starting job to Tua over Hurts, but he stayed with the team and led them to a victory in the SEC championship game when Tua got injured. Hurts transferred to Oklahoma for his senior season and led them to the Big 12 championship before losing to LSU in the Peach Bowl. He finished second to Joe Burrow for the Heisman.

The Eagles drafted him in the middle of the second round and fell in love with the kid. He's a super high-quality human being in addition to being a darn good football player. A six-year-old boy in Louisiana had Jalen Hurts as his favorite player and was disappointed he couldn't find any Eagles gear with Hurts' name on it. His mother had a backpack made for him with Jalen on it. On a field trip, people kept calling her son Jalen instead of his real name Alexander because of the name on his backpack and she thought it was funny, so she posted the story online. Jalen saw the story and had a custom backpack made with the name Alexander on it and tweeted the photo to his mom for her to show him. Jalen had been invited to a football camp when he was young and remembered the impact it made on him, so he wanted to reach out to the kid.

On the team, Jalen has now moved up into the backup role and as the backup QB he's leading the scout team in practice. Jalen and Nate Sudfeld were working with Travis Fulgham on the scout team and realized he was good, really, really good. They went to Wentz and the staff and said Fulgham needed to be on the real squad. The Eagles elevated him and Fulgham, at least heading into last Sunday, was the league-leading receiver over the time he'd played.

If you watch an Eagles game and there's a timeout, Hurts is right there by Doug Pederson when Wentz comes to the sideline. Both Doug and Carson listen to him when he speaks. The kid's good. Everyone loves him. His former teammates rave about him. His current teammates rave about him. You just don't hear anything negative about the kid at all.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

So if Wentz struggles, will the Eagles go wih Hurts as the starter next season and dangle Wentz for a trade...or do you see Hurts starting possibly sooner???????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm SHOCKED yes SHOCKED at PFT Power Ranking they still have my WFT ranked 26....I thought they'd take the Jets place as the WORST team in the NFL....Instead WFT is ranked 26th, the Cowboys are at #30...Jets still at 32.....  The Colts are at #12, and the Eagles are at #17...

And the hits keep on coming---Cowboys rookie CB Diggs is out for the rest of the season--broken foot.... 

@teganslaw 

The Colts RB Taylor's fumble resulted in a Raven's TD....He had a history of fumbles at Wisconsin....but this season there have been no fumbles in 7 games so the coach just stressed better ball security and they still have confidence in their RB....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

So if Wentz struggles, will the Eagles go wih Hurts as the starter next season and dangle Wentz for a trade...or do you see Hurts starting possibly sooner???????

I think the Eagles are married to Wentz, but if the right offer came along, they might listen. The right offer would need to be big though. There are two teams that might be tempted to make a move on Wentz. The Colts and Vikings come to mind. Wentz is very much a midwest kind of guy. He'd fit the local dynamics in both places pretty well. (Green Bay too, but they think they have their replacement in Jordan Love.) The Colts have Frank Reich who knows Wentz and loved him while in Philly. 

What would it take to pry Wentz away? I would say at least two first-round picks. Likely more besides. When Wentz is on, he's special. Guys like him don't just come along every day.

What would it take to get Hurts? Probably a first and a third could land Hurts. I think the Eagles think Lincoln Riley will be joining the NFL head coaching ranks in the next year or two and they hope he wants Hurts. Teams firing their old head coaches and hiring new ones tend to be bad and have high draft picks. If they could get a top fifteen pick for Hurts along with a third-round pick in the top fifteen they'd likely move Hurts.

People are making a lot of Wentz's struggles this year, but forget what's around him. A new o-line every week. New receivers every week. It's not making the QB's job any easier when you have that much upheaval around him. And the schedule hasn't exactly been a cakewalk. Week one we got the Redskins with their new coaches and new system with no real film on them. Then the Rams who are playing well again. Bengals, Niners, Steelers, Ravens were up next. Then the Giants and Dallas. Even a fully healthy Eagles team might expect three losses in those eight games. This is anything but a fully healthy Eagles team and they've only lost four. 

There are two fairly winnable games coming up with the Giants and Browns. Then the Seahawks who aren't looking quite as good now. Then Green Bay and New Orleans. Probable losses there. Then Arizona, Dallas, and Washington. If they split the final eight games and end up 7-8-1 they pretty much win the East. They're getting healthier now. Seumalo, Miles Sanders, and more guys could be back this coming week. A few others are another week or two away. If things work out right, an eight or nine-win season isn't out of the question.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Jets almost blew their first overall draft pick last night. Fortunately, they came to their senses in time to give the game back to the Patriots.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@yellowrose You're so right! How could I forget we already lost to Cleveland this year?

Guess I want to forget all of those losses! Woman LOL

Probably was thinking about Cincy as I remember glancing at their upcoming schedule in the DMN that has the team logos and just remember seeing orange.  Thanks for the catch!