Trusted Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

Never thought the Cowboys would have that game against the Steelers.  And who would have thought the Boys 4th string qb would look better than Tom Brady today? Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

The Bucs fell into the common mistake of getting a shiny new toy (Antonio Brown in this case) and becoming so fascinated in playing with it, that they forgot what got them there. You see it pretty often in the league. Football is a team sport and when the focus shifts to one guy, the team kind of falls apart. 

Arians is a good coach however and should be able to get a handle on this pretty quickly. They'd better as their schedule isn't all that easy in coming weeks with the Panthers up next, followed by the Rams, and Chiefs. Their last four games are pretty winnable with the Vikings, Falcons, Lions, and Falcons. They're still on track for ten to eleven wins.

Brady played a big role in bringing AB to Tampa and likely felt a need to feed AB as a result of that. That's when things start to break down. You have to put all of that out of your head and just make your reads and do what you're supposed to do. If AB is the right read, then get him the ball. You can't force it though. They'll fix it. Brady's a pro. He'll be pretty angry at everyone, and especially himself, for last night. That Panthers game next week will be more of a test than they'd like now as the Panthers are playing pretty well. They could pretty easily lose the next three games, then win the final four.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

CONGRATS to the fans of the teams that won! 

How bout that shoot out between two young QBs---Murray & Tua!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

A few years ago there was talk of there being no good young QBs in the pipeline. We're kind of knee-deep in good young QBs now. It's funny how those things work out. Mariota and Winston kind of flopped. Goff and Wentz are still a bit iffy. Dak's done pretty well. Mayfield's still a bit iffy. Mahomes is a star. Lamar Jackson and DeShaun Watson aren't far behind him. And the newer kids are looking impressive. At least those that landed in the right situations.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

There is an article about why the Colts are the NFL's most frustrating team. The writer brings up some good points: one of which is the uncertainty of Phillip Rivers. He had a great game last week, and a good first half against Baltimore, but then fell apart. Fans never know wha tto expect from him.They will be tested when they face Tennessee on Thursday. 

On Sunday, why are the Cowboys not using Ezekiel Elliott in the game? He hasn't done very well when he does play, but he seems to spend a lot of time on the bench. Maybe playing more would help him to improve even with Dak still out.

@Spurt , WR Terry McLaurin has done well in my fantasy lineups. I know it doesn't help the team win games, but he is a bright spot for Washington. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

There is an article about why the Colts are the NFL's most frustrating team. The writer brings up some good points: one of which is the uncertainty of Phillip Rivers. He had a great game last week, and a good first half against Baltimore, but then fell apart. Fans never know wha tto expect from him.They will be tested when they face Tennessee on Thursday. 

On Sunday, why are the Cowboys not using Ezekiel Elliott in the game? He hasn't done very well when he does play, but he seems to spend a lot of time on the bench. Maybe playing more would help him to improve even with Dak still out.

@Spurt , WR Terry McLaurin has done well in my fantasy lineups. I know it doesn't help the team win games, but he is a bright spot for Washington. 

@teganslaw 

The Colts have a dilemma at the QB spot, looks like Rivers is past his prime and his NFL career is DONE, but where is the team going at QB in the future???  I think Rivers would have a good career in broadcasting, he has the personality.....

Yes, "Scary Terry" is one of the few bright spots on my WFT---This is what HogsHaven had to say about Terry:

Terry McLaurin - He is like a beacon of light on an otherwise dark and foggy evening. The second year wideout and newly anointed team captain hauled in seven receptions for 115 yards and a touchdown on the afternoon. At the team’s halfway point of the season, Terry is on pace for 100 receptions and over 1200 receiving yards. This kid is something special!

As far as the Cowboy's Elliott ---he did have a tweaked hamstring prior to the Steelers game....so He wasn't 100%.....But all year he's been under utilized...gardenman thinks they are saving him to fulfill his long contract, but my take WHATS THE POINT if the Cowboys keep losing and who cares if he's still on the roster for 6 years like his contract was written up...at some point they are going to have to play him and take a loss on that insane long contract...the Cowboys wont have a winning season without him in the meantime....But as a WFT fan....what am I thinking its a heck of a "good" plan...😄😄😄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It looks like the WFT's QB Kyle Allen wont need surgery, but he's done for the rest of the season....  There is a movement among some WFT fans for the team to get Fitzmagic....that would be interesting...but dont think it would ever happen..and that's definitely NOT a long term solution, but neither is Alex Smith...and it seems Haskins isn't Ron Rivera's man.....back to square one....No matter who's the coach, GM.....since Joe Gibbs left....bring in Bill Murray...its GROUNDHOG DAY! Woman Frustrated  I wasn't on board with the Alex Smith deal from the beginning....but with Bruce Allen calling the shots...what do ya expect......Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

The issue with Ezekiel Elliott is his contract. Backs like Elliott (Herschel Walker, Earl Campbell, Derrick Henry, etc.) is that they're good for about 2,000 carries over their career. (1,954 for Walker, 2,187 for Campbell.) They aren't scatbacks. They make their yardage by being 230-pound wrecking balls pounding away at a defense until the defense wears down. They all have a top speed of about 22 MPH that they hit pretty quickly. A 230-pound back with his full pads and uniform on is more like a 250-pound wrecking ball hitting a defender time after time at 22 MPH.

I don't care how big and strong of a defensive end or tackle you are, at some point your brain says, "You know what, maybe this isn't such a good idea. Let's stay blocked and let the linebacker deal with this." After a few hits, the linebacker starts to think maybe the safety would be better equipped to handle it. Your runningback is now tearing off ten, fifteen yards a carry or more.

It's not fun getting hit by something 250-pounds that's moving at 22 MPH. Defenders start to allow themselves to stay blocked after a few hits to let someone else take the blows. "Sorry coach, I just couldn't shed that block." A big refrigerator (a 25 cubic footer) typically weighs about 250 pounds. Imagine your refrigerator hitting you at 22 MPH multiple times. That's what a defender faces with a back like Elliott. It's not fun.

That's how that type of back makes his money and gets his yards. When you decide to pay a guy like that $90 million over six years (through 2026) and he's already got 1,300+ carries, so there's maybe 700 left. It's a problem. Seven hundred carries over six years is about 117 carries a year. Sixteen games a year means you can only let him carry the ball about eight times a game. You don't wear down a defense hitting them with a 250-pound wrecking ball just eight times. You need to pound the guy into them twenty, twenty-five, thirty times a game. If the Cowboys use him thirty times a game and he only has 700 carries left, that's about 24 games of useful life and they've got him signed for about 87 games.

The math just doesn't work. So, they lessen his workload in terms of carries to preserve him over the length of his contract, which makes him less effective. They plop him on the bench for much of the game and the defense breathes a sigh of relief that he's not out there pounding away at them. The contract they gave him largely neuters him. They don't want to burn him out in a year or two because they're paying him for six years, so they give him fewer carries. With fewer carries, he becomes less and else effective. 

Smart teams just don't give contracts like that to that type of back. You know they have a finite number of carries in them. History says that type of back tends to be good for about 2,000 carries over their career. To be effective those backs need to wear down a defense and that typically takes twenty to thirty carries a game. At twenty carries a game they're good for about a hundred games. At thirty carries a game they're good for about 67 games. A six-year contract is for 96 games. That's after already playing for four years and about 64 games. Kudos to Elliott's agent for getting the six-year $90 million deal, but it was absurdly stupid of the Cowboys to give it to him. They've contracted themselves into a position where they can't use Elliott how he's most effective, or else they'll burn him out long before they're done paying him. But if they don't use him in that manner, he's ineffective. 

It's a classic Jerry Jones type of move. You just don't do that. Not if you're a sane GM. You look at the history of that type of player and you make a smarter offer. BIg backs of that nature have about 2,000 carries in them, give or take a few. The history is pretty clear on that. With him already having 1,300 carries they have about seven hundred over the next six years. That just doesn't work. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The number of teams needing QBs this coming season and next makes the Eagle's drafting of Jalen Hurts look pretty smart. His value will only go up and the Eagles should get a good return on that second-round investment. The price to move up in the first round is typically two first-round picks and bit more. Trading a first and third to get Hurts may look like a much better option for some GM's than trying to move up high enough to get a good young QB.

Getting an Andy Reid hand-me-down at QB. like Alex Smith, never works out for the team that gets the guy. Andy's traded away a ton of QBs over his career and none have succeeded after leaving Andy. There were AJ Feeley to the Dolphins, Kevin Kolb to the Cards, McNabb to the Redskins, Foles to the Rams (though that was just after Andy but Foles was an Andy guy). The guys look great under Andy, then flop rather badly when gone. If Andy Reid calls and offers you a QB, even Mahomes, think about it a lot before making the deal. History is not on the side of the team getting an Andy Reid hand-me-down.

If you look at the list of teams likely/certainly needing a QB in the next two years you'd start with the Jets who seem to be losing for Lawrence. The NFC West is pretty much set though Russell Wilson is getting up there a bit. The Niners debated moving on from Jimmy G last year also. The Redskins, Giants, and Cowboys could be set or in flux depending on how things go. In the NFC South, the Panthers might be the most set with Bridgewater. Brees and Brady aren't young. Matt Ryan's not a kid. The Packers have their kid (they hope) of the future already in place, but the Bears, Lions, and Vikings could all be in the market.

In the AFC East, the Bills and Dolphins seem to be set. The Patriots and Jets not so much. The AFC South shows the Colts and Jags in need while the Texans and Titans seem set. In the AFC North the Ravens, Bengals, and maybe the Browns are settled for now. The Steelers need to be thinking of replacing Ben at some point. (I still think Haskins is a good fit there.) In the AFC West, the Chiefs and Chargers seem set with Raiders and Broncos a bit iffier.

You could make a pretty good argument that up to fifteen to twenty teams will be looking for a good young QB in the next year or two. How many good young kids will be coming out? Probably not enough. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The matchup between Kyler and Tua was amazing.  I'm just sorry my guy, Kyler, came out on the short side of the stick (no pun intended!)