Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

The Josh McCown signing is one of those, "Uh, what?" signings to me. He was on the Eagles' practice squad as the emergency "Our QB room got Covid, we need a QB" guy. He seemed very happy in that role. He participated in the QB meetings via Zoom and worked out on his own. He'd been an Eagle last year and was thrilled to finally get to play in a playoff game. The Eagles are currently leading the pathetic NFC East and stand the best shot of the NFC East teams at making the playoffs again, but he leaves Philly to sign with the 1-6 Texans, who have DeShaun Watson and AJ McCarron as their starter and backup QBs?

Other than to expand his ample jersey collection with a new one (the Texans are one of the few teams he hadn't played for) this is a move that doesn't really make sense for either party. Josh is going to a new system, to back up a QB who plays a completely different style of football. He'll be third string on a team that's going nowhere, without an established head coach or GM. Is he auditioning with them to be an OC or QB coach next year when they bring in a new staff? Are they looking to shut down DeShaun Watson to keep him healthy for next year? Josh is 41 years old and not the long term answer at backup QB for a team and there are a lot of young guys who might be able to grow into that role floating around out there.

He had a better chance to be a meaningful contributor on the Eagles than the Texans, unless there's something going on with Watson or McCarron that I'm unaware of. When I heard that move this morning I had to doublecheck to be sure it was right. It just made no sense to me. It's not bad for the Eagles as they'll save some cash, but why the Texans wanted him (QB tutor to Watson?) and why he'd want to go to a 1-6 team (camaraderie?) is more of a mystery. It's a bit of a headscratcher move for both sides as far as I'm concerned.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I'm never a fair weather fan, but it's hard to think about watching the Cowboy's game against the undefeated Steelers Sunday.  Starting their 4th quarterback in 5 games.

Ugh!  

Honored Contributor

@soonersis wrote:

I'm never a fair weather fan, but it's hard to think about watching the Cowboy's game against the undefeated Steelers Sunday.  Starting their 4th quarterback in 5 games.

Ugh!  

Yeah, it's not an easy game to be optimistic about if you're a Cowboys fan. It looks like a fairly easy win for the Steelers, but you never know. Strange things happen in the NFL.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here's a GM Jerry Jones Flashback moment in honor of the Steelers and playing the Cowboys this weekend---a tale of two franchises.....

In the 2017 Draft when the Cowboys draft selection came up at 28th overall, the Cowboys had the choice of Michigan’s Taco Charlton or Wisconsin’s T.J. Watt. It seems like a no-brainer now, but the Cowboys selected Taco Charlton (maybe Jerry was thinking of the marketing angle and "Taco Tuesday").....Well the Steelers chose Watt two picks later and the rest is history.......We know about T.J.'s career....meanwhile Taco was cut by the Cowboys and released by the Dolphins and is now with his 3rd team, the Chiefs.........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The problem with the Cowboys, and the Eagles too to some extent, is they got married to what worked for them in the past. JJ is still trying to recreate the triplets with Amari Cooper, Dak, and Elliott. His football vision is clouded by what worked in the past. He's always looking for another Ed Too Tall Jones, Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Randy White, etc.. Sometimes you've got to move on from what worked in the past and try to build something that works today.

The Eagles keep trying to rebuild like they were built in 2017. They did move away from that a bit this year and start to change things up a bit with more of a move to pure speed at more positions. 

The Eagles are in salary cap heck next year, but after that, they'll be in good shape with a good young nucleus and plenty of cap space. Will they still try to rebuild 2017 or move in a different direction?

It's quite a dilemma for a team. Do you stick with what worked in the past or move on and try something different? Do the players available to you affect that decision? Are you willing to move the team in a different direction? The safe thing is to stick with what worked in the past. Bill Belichick right about now would probably give up a limb or two to get Brady back. They went in a different direction and it's not working out so great for them. Carolina went in a different direction and so far, so good. They cut Cam Newton, their Super Bowl QB, and league MVP. That's a very ballsy move for a team to make. Will it work out long term? We'll have to see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The Cowboys are starting QB Garrett Gilbert Sunday. I feel a bit sorry for him; first game in NFL will be against the Steelers. Not a great start. They will be attacking him from all ends. 

I have no idea what to expect from Baltimore. The Colts normally have problems with mobile quarterbacks, although Jackson hasn't been playing his best football in the last games. Maybe if they can get him to throw more passes rather than run, it will work better. Jackson is so elusive that it's difficult to pressure him. 

Rivers has to have a good game like last week. Don't throw interceptions where Baltimore can get the ball. Time of possession is important, and not committing penalties. 

The game will be broadcast in my area 1:00 on CBS. Should be a good one. Both teams need a win to help in their divisions. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Garrett Gilbert is an interesting guy. He was drafted in 2014. The Cowboys are his seventh NFL team and he also played in the AAF. He was very effective in the AAF. He shouldn't be overwhelmed. Technically he's been in the NFL longer than Dak. Gilbert came out in 2014 and Dak in 2016. He's got NFL QB size at 6'-4" and 230 lbs. He's just never been able to latch onto an NFL team for some reason. This is a big opportunity for him. He's one of those guys you just wonder why he's never caught on. Guy's with his size, his ability, aren't all that common, but he's a one year and done guy with most teams. Even the Cowboys went with their seventh-round rookie over him last week. We'll have to see how he does tomorrow. He's never had the talent at wide receiver he's got with the Cowboys. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's game day! My schedule looks NFC East heavy today with the Redskins/Giants up first followed by the Steelers/Cowboys. Then tonight the Saints/Bucs. Should be a nice, stressfree day of football watching with the Eagles on their bye.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It sounds like Golden Tate has worn out his welcome with the Giants. He's not making the trip to DC today for disciplinary reasons. (Officially, they're saying he complained about not getting the ball enough. Every wide receiver in the NFL complains about not getting the ball enough, so there's so likely something more going on there.) Don't be surprised to see him cut loose in the coming days/weeks.

Reportedly the Giants were dangling him as trade bait and would have taken anything, anything at all, in exchange for him. Teams are smart enough to know that when a team wants to get rid of a guy, that they'll end up cutting him, so save your draft picks and grab him off of waivers if you want him. He's still got two years left on his Giants contract, so they seem likely to take the dead money hit and move on rather than keep him around.

The Giants are saying he hasn't played up to expectations, but you can't catch the ball if it's not thrown your way. Tate's been moving around quite a bit in recent years, so he seems a bit prickly to be around. We'll have to see where he lands once cut loose. If the Giants aren't going to play him they might as well cut him. You're paying him anyway and now he's taking up a roster spot.

Dez Bryant's being activated today so it'll be interesting to see how he performs. And Antonio Brown is expected to play tonight for the Bucs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

YAY GAME DAY!!!!

Gee wonder why they didnt pick the Giants vs Washington game to be shown in our area....a head scratcher for sure....😄 

This is our lineup----

EARLY GAMES---

Texans vs Jaguars (I think the Giants/WFT game has a bit more drama and interest than this one...its for last place in the NFC East...LOL) --- but we are considered in the Texans TV market.... I dont know why not any real interest in the Texans, hardly even get a mention at all locally....Although people do like JJ Watt....

Panthers vs Chiefs--- I hope the Panthers can make this interesting.....

LATE GAME---

Steelers vs Cowboys---- I'm looking forward to this one...😈  Waving a towel in support! 😁 

SNF---

Saints vs Bucs---- Drew vs Tommy---but all eyes will be on that excellent Tampa D......

MNF---

For hardcore NFL fans only--- Patriots vs Jets!  Someone said that the only way the Jets are kept relevant is Joe Namath's commercials for Medicare...😄😄😄

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”