Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

In the press conference after the game, Reich said that Brissett's injury looked like a sprain. They will do further tests on him to determine the exact damage. However, Brissett said that he was "OK" and seemed in good spirits. We'll find out more tomorrow. 

I was reading Steelers message boards, and by some posts one would think they lost. Many of their fans think that the Steelers won by luck, they didn't play well and that Tomlin still needs to go. 

I heard that the NY media is criticizing the Jets for losing to the Dolphins. Could Gase's job be in jeopardy? 

@teganslaw 

I hope Brissett's injury is not serious and hope he comes back soon.....

I always thought Gase was a weird hire for that Jets job.. Didnt make sense....but the Jets havent been relevant since Joe Namath....

Well if the Steeler fans push Tomlin out the door he will land right in the arms of Dan Snyder since supposedly Tomlin's the guy Snyder wants....but hes not my choice we need an guru on the offense side of the ball to help groom a young QB....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Gase looks like he'll be gone. The same with Freddie Kitchens of the Browns. The Browns have an absurdly talented roster that's just not playing well. Things aren't always the fault of the head coach, but when a team lays down and dies, someone has to pay the price. The Falcons have been playing to get Dan Quinn fired all season. The Giants could get Shurmur fired. The Vikings may end up getting their coach fired. Black Monday (the Monday after the regular season ends) could be very, very busy this year. Lots of teams with high expectations are flopping this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

SWEEEEETTTTTTTT!  37 - 20

ravens win.png

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Kudos to the Ravens, but that Patriots record was a mirage. They faced no really competitive team, other than the Bills, until the Ravens came along. Beating up the Jets (twice), Dolphins, Giants, Redskins, Browns, and Steelers wasn't that much of a challenge. The Bills gave them a decent fight. Things get tougher for them now. The Patriots face the Eagles, Cowboys, Texans and Chiefs in their next four games. They finish out with the Bunglers, er Bengals, Bills and Dolphins after that. They could lose all of the next four games before ending with a couple of easy wins against the Bengals and Dolphins. (They probably won't lose all four, but those games will test them.) The Bills could test them in week sixteen also. It's not hard to see the Patriots ending up 10-6 despite starting 8-1.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45  LOL I don't usually root for the Ravens, but Congrats!!

Trusted Contributor

What @nun ya said.
Honored Contributor

Time for a bit of a midseason look at how the playoff picture looks. We'll start with the AFC East. The Patriots and Bills both seem likely to make the playoffs. The Patriots are 8-1 with some pretty tough games remaining (Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs, Bengals, Bills, Dolphins) while the Bills are 6-2 with a much easier schedule ahead of them (Browns, Dolphins, Broncos, Cowboys, Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, Jets.) You could make a very good argument for the Bills to end up 11-5 or 12-4. The Patriots are likely to end up in that same range also. It's likely one or the other will be a wildcard team in the playoffs.

In the AFC North, it looks like the Ravens should win pretty easily and no wildcard team is likely to emerge. The Browns have arguably the most talent, but are playing horribly. I expect the Ravens to be the only AFC North team in the playoffs. The Steelers could sneak in, but it would take something of a miracle.

The AFC South has the Texans playing very well and currently leading followed closely by the Colts. I expect one of them to be the second wildcard team in the playoffs on the AFC side. Which one will win the South and which one will be the wildcard is up in the air, but that's how things look right now. The Jags or Titans could get hot and sneak in, more likely the Jags, but right now it looks like the Texans and Colts will dominate.

The AFC West is clearly the Chiefs unless they implode in a big way. I don't see that happening. Jon Gruden's done a good job of making the Raiders respectable again. I don't think they have enough this year, but next year they could be a playoff-caliber team. 

So I see the AFC playoff teams being the Patriots, Bills, Ravens, Texans, Colts, and Chiefs. On to the NFC where the picture is a bit cloudier.

We'll start with the NFC East. The Eagles and Cowboys are the clear favorites for the NFC East. I expect that to stay ****** and tuck up to the last week of the season. The Eagles schedule (Patriots, Seahawks, Dolphins, Giants, Redskins, Cowboys, and Giants) isn't terribly daunting. The Patriots, Seahawks, and Dallas games are all in Philly. If the Eagles can win two of those three they'll likely finish out with six more wins putting them at 11-5. The Cowboys schedule (Giants, Vikings, Lions, Patriots, Bills, Bears, Rams, Eagles, Redskins) is a little more daunting depending on how the Lions, Rams and Bears are playing at the time. The only really easy appearing wins would be the Giants and Redskins. If they split the games with the Vikings, Lions, Patriots, Rams, Eagles, and Bears that would give them five wins and leave them at 9-7. I don't expect a wildcard team to emerge from the NFC East, but it could happen.

In the NFC North, the Packers and Vikings are leading the way and I would expect one to win and the other to be a wild card. The Packers schedule (Panthers, Niners, Giant, Redskins, Bears, Vikings, Lions) has some testers in it. There are two games that should be sure wins (Giants, Redskins) but the rest are iffy. If they go 3-2 in the other five games they'd end up with five total wins over the last few games and finish at 12-4. The Vikings schedule (Cowboys, Broncos, Seahawks, Lions, Chargers, Packers, Bears) only really has one seemingly easy game (Broncos). If they split the rest and get a total of four more wins they'd be at 10-6.

In the NFC South, the Saints are the clear favorite. The Panthers are hanging in there for now, but I don't see them catching the Saints. The Saints schedule (Falcons, Bucs, Panthers, Falcons, Niners, Colts, Titans, Panthers) has three likely sure thing wins against the Falcons twice (who are still playing to get Dan Quinn fired) and Bucs. If they get three wins out of their games with the Colts, Panthers (twice), Niners and Titans with those three "sure thing" wins they'd end up at 13-3. The Panthers schedule (Packers, Falcons, Saints, Redskins, Falcons, Seahawks, Colts, Saints) is a bit tougher with likely wins against the Falcons (twice) and Redskins. If they win two of the five games against the Saints (twice), Packers, Seahawks, and Colts they'd get a total of five more wins to put them at 10-6 and on the cusp of the playoffs and maybe a wildcard.

The NFC West is a mess. The Niners are out in front at 8-0, but Seattle is right behind them at 7-2. The Rams aren't out of things yet at 5-3 either. The Niners schedule (Seahawks, Cards, Packers, Ravens, Saints, Falcons, Rams, Seahawks) will test them a lot. The Falcons game is the only "easy" game on their remaining schedule. They should also beat the Cards, but the Cards are playing decent football right now. The Seahawk's schedule (Niners, Eagles, Vikings, Rams, Panthers, Cards, Niners) isn't especially easy either. The Rams remaining schedule (Steelers, Bears, Ravens, Cards, Seahawks, Cowboys Niners, Cards) has few easy wins either. Good luck predicting who emerges from this scrum with the NFC West title. Two of the teams could end up around the 11-5 mark while a third ends up 12-4. The Rams should have four wins (Steelers, Bears, Cards twice) which would put them at nine wins. If they split the games against the Ravens Seahawks, Cowboys and Niners they'd end up with eleven wins. If the Niners win just three of their remaining games they'd also be around 11-5. If the Seahawks win four of their final games they'd be at 11-5 also. It's not impossible that we'd see both wildcard teams emerge from the NFC West.

The NFC playoff picture is a lot fuzzier than the AFC one. We know which teams clearly won't be in the playoffs barring a miracle or two (Redskins, Giants, Lions, Bears, Bucs, Falcons, Cards) but the rest of the picture is a lot fuzzier than it is on the AFC side.

The Eagles need to find a way to get more production from their wide receivers if we're going to do much this year. I'm not sure we won't see some roster moves there during the bye week. DeSean Jackson was only able to play a few plays in the Bears game before his abdominal injury flared up again. I suspect he's heading to the IR for surgery and a nice long off-season rehab.

Alshon Jeffery has gotten the yips and isn't catching the ball well with three drops in yesterday's game and a near drop on a crucial third down. Nelson Agholor is playing awful this year and our third guy, the kid Mack Hollins has done nothing despite playing lots of snaps. In nine games Hollins has ten catches for 125 yards. JJ Arcega-Whiteside was our rookie this year and he's got two, count'em one, two catches for all of 14 yards this year. He had a great preseason but has disappeared once the season started.

The coaching staff seems to be babying JJ Arcega-Whiteside and not giving him opportunities, but given the output of the rest of the receivers, it might be time to take off the training wheels and get him on the field. Greg Ward (on the practice squad) and Marken Michel (a free agent currently) both had good training camps and couldn't be much worse than what we've got on the field now. We've got almost two weeks before the next game. It might be time to shake things up a bit in the receiver corps.

Wide receiver looked like a strength coming out of camp but injuries and just horrible play has made it into a pressing concern. So much so, that bringing in Antonio Brown is starting to look like a not so bad idea. Defenses are largely ignoring the Eagles wide receivers and double covering the tight ends and even using a corner or safety to cover Miles Sanders coming out fo the backfield. They're more or less assuming our wide receivers can't hurt them and they're right.

We've got to get that fixed. The guys on the roster now aren't getting the job done. A guy who's arguably the best wide receiver in football is sitting out there in Antonio Brown. He'd be an instant upgrade, but he's also a cancer who's been cut twice already this year. Do you take a chance on him? Jeez. I just don't know, but something has to be done. Adding AB would definitely improve the talent level, but the negatives of AB are huge also. We'll have to see what happens over the coming days, but I expect a roster move or two to take place at receiver. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

4th and goal from the one yard line...Seconds left in the fourth quarter...Raiders call timeout...Lions have the FOUR BEST OFFENSIVE PLAYERS ON THE BENCH...Game over...SMH

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Just to give some perspective on how bad the Eagles wide receivers are, here are the stats through nine games for our five guys (Alshon, DeSean, Agholor, JJ, and Mack) combined, compared to Michael Thomas of the Saints alone.

Eagles’ five wide receivers combined (9 games): 87 recs, 933 yards, 8 TD

Michael Thomas (8 games): 73 recs, 875 yards, 4 TD

Our five guys combined have just fourteen more catches and 58 more yards than Michael Thomas alone and he's only played eight games to our nine. Seriously? It's not like they're not getting opportunities either. Carson's dropping back and throwing them the ball, only to see it clunk off their hands and fall to the ground. That is on the rare occasion that one of them manages to get open. Those guys should be doing a whole lot of soul-searching over the bye week and Howie Roseman should be combing the waiver wire, free agency, and just randomly testing guys on the street to find a better receiver. It can't get much worse than it is now. 

I'm not an Antonio Brown fan, but he is out there and he is good at football if really annoying at everything else. I'm thinking adding someone who's good at football might not be such a bad idea right now.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman  I liked your breakdown of the upcoming playoff picture. You didn't mention the Chargers, though. I think that it's' possible they could be in the playoffs if they play like they did against Green Bay. Assuming what other teams do, also. 

MVP talk is starting. Along with Mahomes and Russell Wilson, Lamar Jackson's name has been added to the list of potential candidates. Don't forget Christian McCaffrey, though, and what abotu DeShaun Watson? It might depend on which team gets to the playoffs. 

I saw a video of a Ravens reporter (don't know her name), interviewing Mark Ingram after the game. She and Ingram were so serious, while OLB Judon was dancing  and waving in the background. It was too funny! 

No update on Brissett. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain