Honored Contributor

Re: Week Nine of the 2018 NFL Regular Season!!

@brandiwine wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Will Tom Brady ever retire??

As soon as his wife tells him to.  HAHA

I suspect any man married to supermodel Giselle Bundchen would do whatever she asked.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Bad news for the Redskins. Offensive linemen Lauvau and Scherff are out for the season as is their receiver Paul Richardson. That was a very expensive loss to Atlanta.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Cowboys lost a game they had no excuse losing. The Titans gave them the ball twice early on turnovers, but instead of putting the Titans away, the Cowboys let them hang on and ultimately lost to the Titans 28-14. That loss drops the Cowboys to 3-5 with six tough games looming (Eagles, Falcons, Redskins, Saints, Eagles, Colts) before they catch a break and get the Bucs and Giants to close out the year.

Sean Lee is out again with his hamstring and might just miss the rest of the season. They keep brinigng him back before he's completely healed and he keeps reinjuring the hamstring. It might just be time to put him on the shelf and let him truly heal.

I would expect a few coaching changes this offseason in Dallas. I don't think JJ will fire Jason Garrett, but will most likely promote him to a front office position. (Director of Cheerleaders perhaps?) The rest of the offensive staff is likely a goner however. The big question mark for Dallas is now the quarterback position. With no first round pick this year, having traded it to Oakland for Amari Cooper, they won't be in contention for one of the hot kids coming out this year. While a QB or two may drop in the draft, the odds of a good one dropping to the Cowboys in the second round aren't great. There isn't a Kirk Cousins in the free agent market this coming year either. It's getting a bit late to pull Tony Romo back from the broadcast booth, so the Cowboys are likely stuck with Dak going forward for 2019. Given how he's performed over the last season and a half, that's not exactly good news. 

It's very possible the Cowboys could end up with a top ten draft pick, but gave it to Oakland for Cooper. That trade may just come back to haunt them. At 3-5 with a tough stretch of games coming up for the next six weeks, a 3-11 record with games against the Bucs and Giants remaining isn't out of the question. They could have ended up trading a top five pick for Cooper. If the Bucs and Giants put up much of a fight at the end, it could be as high as a top three pick. I don't see anyone losing more games than the Raiders. They're likely a lock for that first overall pick. The Giants could lose out and earn the second overall pick. The Bills, Browns, Jags and possibly the Cowboys could all be fighting it out for that third pick. Oakland may just own the first half of the draft this year. If they get that first overall pick and are serious about building around Carr and not replacing him, then a trade down makes sense for them, picking up still more picks. (I'm not sure they want to build around Carr however.)

Now the Cowboys have a short week of prep before heading to Philly to take on the Eagles on Sunday night who will be coming off a bye and finally starting to get healthy. That's not ideal for the Cowboys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Saints are either looking for wide receiver help or doing some data mining. They're bringing in former Cowboy Dez Bryant, former Eagle Kamar Aiken and former Seahawk Brandon Marshall for tryouts. It might just be a big old coinky-dink that they play the Eagles in two weeks and the Cowboys in four, or they could be trying to see if either Aiken or Bryant have any information about audibles and the like that they'd be willing to pass on. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Well I think the Eagles can breathe a bit easier after the loss by Dallas last night!

Going into the big game Sunday night it is nice to have the cushion of that extra win over the Cowboys ... Eagles at 4-4  vs. the Cowboys at 3-5. And of course the Redskins lead the NFC East at 5-3.

If the Eagles win next Sunday night they will be up by two games over Dallas at 5-4 to Dallas at 3-6. But if the Eagles lose to the Cowboys then they will be tied at 4-5.

And after Week 10 the  Redskins will either be 6-3 or 5-4.

The Eagles have a daunting schedule coming up ... Cowboys, at Saints in NO, Redskins, at Dallas, at Rams, Texans, and at Redskins. Left out the Giants game on Nov. 25 as hopefully that will be an easy win. None of the others will be easy, imo.

So the loss by Dallas last night takes some of the pressure off!Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Jerry Jones said that he doesn't foresee any coaching changes.  Time will tell whether that remains. 

Tennessee's victory tightens the AFC South. I don't see the Colts entering the playoffs this year. Houston would have to crash and burn and the Colts would have to practically sweep the rest of the AFC South. They should be able to beat Jacksonville, though. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

If the Cowboys don't rally and play better, JJ won't have a lot of choice in the matter. Troy Aikman coming out and saying the Cowboys need to change the way they do business helps to force JJ's hand. I think Jerry will promote Jason Garrett to a front office role and bring in a new head coach and coaching staff.

He's talking of extending Dak Prescott which is probably a big mistake. Dak has not played well for the past sixteen games and his stats are pretty comparable to Mark Sanchez's over that span. I think the team needs a rethink on the QB position. Jerry is trying to lead the team with his heart and not his mind and that's a mistake. He needs to forget loyalty and make the best moves for the organization. Right now, Dak is probably not an ideal, longterm QB. Having traded away next year's first round pick, he's largely stuck with Dak for 2019, but extending Dak is dumb. 

What are the Cowboy's QB options? There don't appear to be any in free agency. Jameis Winston will likely be available by trade and maybe Derek Carr, but are you better off with one of those guys? And what will be the asking price? WIth no first round pick and few top quality prospects in the draft, do you try and grab a guy in the second or third round and hope for the best?

The Cowboys and Jerry are in a tough spot. They finally have cap space, but no real QB available. You need a good QB to win in this league. There will be lots of teams looking for a QB after this season (likely the Jags, Giants, Broncos, Raiders and Bucs) and not much to pick from. Trades for a young unproven kid like a Nate Sudfeld or another young backup are possible, but pricey, and you don't really know what you're getting. (The Redskins might also be in the QB market depending on how things go with Alex Smith.) At the very least they need to find some competition for Dak in next year's camp. It's going to be a very interesting off season in Big D. Jerry may just keep everything the same and assume the team will magically improve, or he may blow it all up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!