Honored Contributor

Week Fourteen of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with the Raiders at the Rams in what looked like a good game in the preseason. Both teams went deep into the playoffs last year. Who knew they'd both go deep into the sewers this year? The three-win Rams will be using someone at QB. Maybe Baker Mayfield? Everyone else seems dinged a bit. The Raiders, well, they've got their own issues. I guess I'd pick the Raiders to win. Somehow.

The Jets and the Bills play a game in December that actually means something. This is normal for the Bills, but a novel experience for the Jets. Typically in December, the Jets are making their vacation plans for the offseason. To find themselves playing a game in December that matters is quite a unique experience for them. Mike White seems to be their QB going forward, which is a bold move. The Bills are better, so I'll take the Bills, but it could be a pretty good game.

Cleveland goes to Cincy to take on the Bengals. The good news is that the Browns got Deshaun Watson back playing. The bad news is he played like he did in 2020 in Houston when the Texans were 4-12. The Bengals have shaken off the early season doldrums and are playing pretty well now. The Bengals should get the win.

Houston goes to Dallas to hold onto their first overall pick in the 2023 NFL draft. Barring a miracle, there's no way Houston wins this game. Dallas wins big. 

Minnesota goes to Detroit. If the Vikings win or tie they lock up the NFC North. I expect the Lions to make it a game, but I think the Vikings will get the win.

The Eagles get on the buses and head to North Jersey to take on the Giants. The Giants fans/players are still a mite bit testy about the Eagles beating them up all of the time and then stealing Devonte Smith from them in 2020. I have a suspicion they'll be even testier after this game. I'll take the Eagles for the win. The Giants started out hot but in their last five games they're 1-3-1. They've lost to the Seahawks, Lions, and Cowboys. They eked out a win over Houston, who's trying to lose, and tied Washington, where neither team seemed all that interested in winning. I'll take the Eagles.

Baltimore limps into Pittsburgh. This game is always a bit intense and with Lamar Jackson out, and the Steelers kids playing better, it's pretty much a coin-toss game to me. I guess I'll take the Ravens. 

Jacksonville heads to Tennessee. The Titans still have a three-game lead despite losing two straight. Their offense is built on running the ball and they've been pretty ineffective at doing that in recent weeks. They fired their GM which adds uncertainty to the mix for all involved. The players and coaches there are there because of the old GM. Once a team owner gets in the firing mood, no one is safe. With the GM gone, so is whatever job security they all felt. I'm going with the Jags for the win this week.

KC heads to Denver to show the Broncos how far they have to climb to be competitive again. (It's a big climb.) The Broncos are averaging 13.9 points per game. Yeah. That's great if you're a baseball team but not good in football. The Chiefs are averaging 29.2 points per game. I'll take the Chiefs in a romp.

Carolina and whoever they can find to play QB head to Seattle. Seattle should win pretty easily. Carolina's a mess.

Tampa heads to San Francisco in what should be a pretty good game. You can't expect much from the Niners' offense without Jimmy G or Trey Lance, but their defense should keep them in the game. Brady will probably find a way to pull out the win though. I'll take the Bucs.

The Dolphins take on the Chargers on Sunday night. Both teams need the win to stay in the hunt. Only one will get it. I'll give a slight edge to the Dolphins.

And we end the week with the Patriots at the Cards. I'll take the Patriots in this one. The Cards are a mess.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Fourteen of the 2022 NFL Regular Season!!!

Cleveland has won the last five games against Cincinnati. It seems that the Browns have the Bengals' number, as that team seems to struggle when they play each other. 

Maybe things will change with Deshaun Watson at QB. I trust Burrow over Watson, but being a division rivalry, one never knows what to expect.

I don't know if Baker Mayfield will start Thursday. He might need time to learn the playbook. The Raiders have Josh Jacobs and Devante Adams. That's all they need. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Week 14 already...I did pretty good with my picks last week.....Let's see what this week will hold some important games to help determine playoffs.....Washington has a bye BTW they flexed Washington/Giants next meeting to Sunday night Week 15

Raiders vs Rams----maybe Baker will help the Rams but he needs to learn the playbook and his teammates....This game should be won by the RAIDERS despite their HC.

Jets vs Bills----I'll take THE BILLS who are fighting for playoff position..

Browns vs Bengals----I'm going with Joe Cool and the gang rather than the "spa perv"....

Texans vs Cowboys----This USED TO BE an important game with the winner getting a TEXAS CHAMPIONSHIP TROPHY!!!! Sadly the Texans have turned into the possible winner of the 2023 #1 pick inthe draft.....COWBOYS with a win. What I hope is that it lulls them into an overconfident sense of security with these weak opponents the Cowboys have on their schedule....

Vikings vs Lions----The Lions seem to be waking up from their cat nap....And then there's the Vikings mantra can you trust Kirk Cousins to win important games...This should be an interesting game.....The logical choice is the VIKINGS but I wouldn't be surprised if there's an upset..

Eagles vs Giants-----A rival game in the NFC EAST where anything can happen....But the EAGLES need a win to keep the Cowboys who have an easy schedule at bay...EAGLES WILL FLY

Ravens vs Steelers--With Lamar out Im taking the young STEELERS at home

Jaguars vs Titans----This game takes on a different tone with the Titans firing their GM even though the team has gotten to the playoffs on a regular basis....But the Jags have been inconsistent as of late....I'll take the TITANS. 

.Chiefs vs Broncos----Don't you know Patrick and the gang will want to erase the memory of last week's loss from their minds and they have the perfect opponent---the sad sack Broncos......CHIEFS with an lopsided VICTORY 

Panthers vs Seahawks----The Seahawks battling for playoff position....meanwhile Panthers in Flux with the release of Baker. So many unknowns haunt their future----SEAHAWKS get a "W"....GO TALIQ WOOLEN 

Bucs vs 49ers----Jimmy G's season ending injury has cast a cloud on the 49ers playoff hopes.  Now it will be a raw rookie, Mr. IRRELEVANT against the NFL GOAT in Brady---BUCS get the WIN

Dolphins vs Chargers----An important game for both teams and an interesting game for QBS ---Tua vs Herbert..I'll take Tua and the DOLPHINS to rebound for a WIN...should be a good game 

Patriots vs Cardinals---With lackadaisical attitude on game preparation on Cardinals QB Murray's part not a good idea going up against Belichick---I'm taking the PATRIOTS 

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The Cowboys didn't make an offer for OBJ. They were more impressed before his visit, and now have some concerns about his health. Jerry Jones usually goes for big names no matter what, so  there must have been red flags if the Cowboys weren't interested. 

Jeff Saturday said that there will be changes made during the bye week. The Colts website, Stampede Blue, is calling for Ryan to be benched (again), but I don't know details on what Saturday has in mind.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The OBJ stuff is interesting. Lots of rumors of the Eagles being involved in the last 24 hours. Is that why the Cowboys decided he's too big of a risk? They couldn't match the Eagles' offer? I don't know. It's interesting anyway. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Baker Mayfield will be active for tonight's game, which will be interesting. He's had a few hours to incorporate the Rams' game plan, so what could go wrong?

Playing QB in the NFL requires timing and coordination with the receivers. Baker won't have that. He won't know where they're supposed to be and when they're supposed to be there. At least not at game speed. He's going to have to watch and hope he knows where they'll be and when they'll be there. 

If I'm playing defense against a QB in his situation, I'd just play a deep zone and know that the receivers and DBs will both be reacting to the ball and trust my DB s to be a bit faster and better at getting there since they can be staring Baker down the whole time while the receivers run their route.

If I'm the OC with a QB who's been in the building a day or two, it would be short passes, screens, and an occasional deep ball to hopefully catch the defense off guard. That's assuming I have a receiver who can track and catch a deep ball. A guy like DeSean Jackson. The Eagles had both DeSean Jackson and Riley Cooper for a while and both guys were exceptional at tracking and catching deep balls. QBs could just throw it high and deep and be pretty confident one of those two would come down with the ball.

It's not a good situation for Baker or the Rams, but they're running out of options. Wolford has a neck injury and may not be able to play.

OBJ has reportedly returned to his home to mull over his future. Mike Florio thinks it'll be in Philly. Eh, I'm not so sure, but we'll see. I suspect he'll make a decision before too much longer. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The OBJ stuff is interesting. Lots of rumors of the Eagles being involved in the last 24 hours. Is that why the Cowboys decided he's too big of a risk? They couldn't match the Eagles' offer? I don't know. It's interesting anyway. 

@gardenman 

Maybe OBJ will chose the Eagles just to get back at the NFC EAST rivals (Cowboys and the Giants)for not signing him......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman 

Maybe OBJ will chose the Eagles just to get back at the NFC EAST rivals (Cowboys and the Giants)for not signing him......0

@Spurt 

Could be. It doesn't feel like an Eagles' signing to me, but Mike Florio tends to be pretty good at rumors. 

The Suh signing felt off to me, but he had Darius Slay endorsing him fully to the Eagles' brass. Is there someone on the roster endorsing OBJ? I don't think we have anyone who played with him or coached him. James Bradberry got to the Giants after OBJ left the Giants, so it wouldn't be him.

I don't know. We'll have to see what happens. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Way to go Baker! Mayfield to the rescue! One whole practice and he was able to lead the Rams to a last-second victory. He landed in the exact right place. Sean McVay likes to talk to his QB right up to the moment the headsets get shut down, so he was able to relay the plays and then talk Baker through who should be open each play and where they should be. It worked.

Baker is one of those guys who's been in a horrible situation his whole career. Seven head coaches in five years. No continuity. No stability. No chance to grow in a system. It's the perfect blueprint to ruin a good young kid QB. Learning an NFL offense takes time. Three to four years is the norm. And every offense is a bit different. If you've got a kid QB, you need stability around him. Very few can excel when everything changes every year.

Every year we see talented kids come out of college who are "can't miss" prospects. Then they go to a team where chaos reigns and they get lost and flop. Talent can't overcome chaos. Baker is a very talented QB. He just needs to find some stability for once in his career. 

His top priority in free agency this year should be to find a stable situation. Find a place where he can finally get settled into one system. The kid has all of the talent you need in a QB. He's just never had the chance to show off what he can do. Someone should sign him, keep him in one system for three to four years, and only then will we ever know how good he could be. I think he can be pretty darn good.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Baker was set up for failure against all odds...Mcvay said Baker had 5 minutes to learn everything. Yep @gardenman you are right Bakers had to battle adversity his entire career.
WOW he showed the NFL what he can be just surround him with a good coach and support and some decent pieces around him...good luck Baker im rooting for you