Honored Contributor

Re: Week Fourteen of the 2020 NFL Irregular Season!!!

@Spurt 

Yeah, the Eagles have issues. Lots and lots and lots of issues. This has been a disastrous year. Injuries devastated the offensive line, wide receivers, and tight ends. Even the running backs got dinged. The coaches never really adjusted. They decided this was a deep passing team and ran lots of deep, slow developing routes, despite an offensive line that was more turnstile than wall. Just a disaster all the way around.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

"Protecting the integrity of the NFL"

No comment...;Best I just bite my tongue   Woman LOL

bite.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Cheer up gardenman....Eagles VS Cowboys is coming up.

Eagles will feel better about themselves afterwards.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Gardenman,

I have long followed your awesome, thorough and insightful Big Brother posts.  I Used to watch it faithfully until life got in the way, Today, I come with  an unrelated question for you based soley upon your name,

I reside in northern virginia.  I have a beloved purple lilac bush that transplanted successfully from my Grandmothers homestead in western pa. 

On Thanksgiving Day, my husband told me to go  out and check out the lilac blooms.  I pulled a branch down to smell  the  three blooms.  The branch broke off in my hands. Since then I have had two branches in water on the dining room table.

My husband and I are relocating to South Carolina after his March retirement.  I would love to take a piece of Grandma's lilac bush with us, as well as gifting some to the home owning great-grand children.

Do you have any advice for making this happen?  how do I protect the cuttings I currently have inside the house (on the dining room table)?  how would I go about splitting the two stalks that I cuurently have in water to make more plants?  should I put them into potting soil now?  or wait until spring? should I just keep rinsing the plant stems when I see them getting slimy?

I defintely want two cuttings to go to my niece who recently relocated near Richmond, VA.  They've already had snow.  It's been such an unusual year - climate wise... not sure what to tell them to do with it once I give it to them.

well, this was certainly a 'loaded with questions' post.  I appreciate you reading , if you have the time... and I certainly appreciate your advice, should you choose to share.

Stay safe!!

Honored Contributor

Hi back Oliviam,

It's interesting that you had a lilac bush flowering in northern Virginia on Thanksgiving. It can happen sometimes, but it's not the norm. In a perfect world, you'd have roots forming on the stems already in the water. If you did, pot them up in soil and keep them someplace nice and sunny and then plant them out come spring. Some plants root readily in just plain old water (willows, impatiens, etc. I don't know about lilacs.)

Lilacs aren't impossible to root, but you'd prefer to use fresh growth that you just now cut off and a rooting hormone powder. Here's a link to an informative article on how to do it "right."

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/root-lilac-cuttings-39128.html 

I'm not sure it's possible for you to do it "right" at this time given the way things have gone, so I might try a multi-faceted approach. I don't know how long your pieces are now but if you could cut them into say three or four-inch long pieces, I might try leaving one or more in water and potting some up and then hope for the best. Lilacs are a tough old plant that has been around forever. If you do pot them up, wrap them in a clear plastic bag to help trap in humidity which might help spur root development. Some slight bottom probably heat wouldn't hurt either. The top of a refrigerator or a radiator (you may need something like a thick book under it as an insulator if you put them on a radiator as it could get too warm and cook them.)

If all else fails, you'll likely have smaller plants emerging around the base of your big lilac in the spring, if you don't already, that you could dig up and split off for your niece. Lilacs tend to spread from the base of the plant.

If you have a flexible enough stem on the main plant you can also try ground-layering it. To ground layer the plant you'd just bend a stem down to the soil level, scrape off a bit of the bark on the then underside of the stem then bury that still connected stem slightly under the ground and pin it in place. (Heavy wire, a brick, etc. can be used the anchor it in place.) The damaged bark section should produce roots and start growing into the soil. Don't strip the bark off all the way around the stem, just a smallish wound on the part facing down into the soil is enough. (Better too little bark stripped than too much.)

If you don't have a flexible stem then air-layering might work for you. Air-layering works much like ground layering only you bring the soil (typically sphagnum moss) to the wound on the stem rather than the wound on the stem to the ground. To air layer a lilac I'd make a small incision about halfway through the stem, then wrap it in moist sphagnum moss and wrap that whole ball of moss (or potting soil) in plastic and secure it above and below the wound. Sometimes putting something like a toothpick in the wound to keep it open helps as the cut surfaces sometimes may want to knit back together rather than make roots if they're too close together. By spreading them out just a bit, you can sometimes help encourage root growth.

My big azalea out front is now about ten big azaleas as it's ground-layered itself multiple times. Some of the plants from the earlier self-ground layering have now ground layered additional plants around them. Given enough time it would take over the world by ground layering itself across the neighborhood, city, county, state, country, and eventually the world. It's cleverly done it all itself with no input from me, so ground-layering isn't terribly difficult.

If you've got roots in the water, then kudos, I'd pot one up and leave the other in the water as a reserve as long as it's doing well. Once the potted up one took off and you were confident it would live, I'd pot up the reserved one or ones also. 

Good luck in whatever you try and here's hoping you have success. The nice thing with plants is there's typically lots of ways to get copies of them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Some good news for Jalen Hurts. Jason Peters is now done for the year and going in for surgery on his bad toe. (Maybe he could take Alshon Jeffery with him?) The more of the non-performing older guys the team gets out of the way, the better things will be for Hurts. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

All of the NFL teams have announced their "Man of the Year" nominees for 2020. 

The Colts nominated Jacoby Brissett for his charitable acts working with police  and neighborhood groups. 

Former Colts CB Pierre Desir was nominated by the Jets, despite the face that the team released him last month! Desir is now with the Ravens. This is strange, but it sounds like a very Jets thing to do. BTW, congrats to Desir,  as I've always liked him. He does deserve better than the Jets. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

All of the NFL teams have announced their "Man of the Year" nominees for 2020. 

The Colts nominated Jacoby Brissett for his charitable acts working with police  and neighborhood groups. 

Former Colts CB Pierre Desir was nominated by the Jets, despite the face that the team released him last month! Desir is now with the Ravens. This is strange, but it sounds like a very Jets thing to do. BTW, congrats to Desir,  as I've always liked him. He does deserve better than the Jets. 

@teganslaw 

Former Bama boy, Jonathan Allen was my WFT nominee....he and wife do a lot of charity work, particularly youth and the homeless...and Rivera praised him as a role model as a teammate...

That is sad about Desir.....the Jets are such a mess, if I was Trevor Lawrece Id try to go back to school or figure out some way similar to what Eli Manning did to avoid San Diego....

And Antonio Gibson is official OUT in the 49er game.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

It's game day! My early games today will likely be either the Giants/Cards or the Cowboys/Bengals. They like to feed us NFC East games went the Eagles aren't the one o'clock game. Then at 4:30 we'll see the Eagles take on the Saints.

If you believe "unnamed Eagles sources," Carson Wentz is still their QB of the future and they have no intention to move on from him. Jalen Hurts however gets the call today. (God help him!) The good news is the Eagles have finally given up on playing Jason Peters. That makes it less likely a defensive end or tackle will be arriving as the ball arrives. God willing, they'll bench Alshon Jeffery also so Hurts actually has two wide receivers who might get open. Both tight ends (Ertz and Goedert) are healthy again so that's a help also. The coaches are saying they'll run the ball more also to help him out.

I have no clue what to expect from the Eagles offense this week. They could score 40 or nothing. Hurts could light the place up, or just implode badly. (He's still got a lot of potential either way.) The Eagles defense has prepped for Taysom Hill by using Wentz on the scout team simulating Hill, which Carson apparently had a lot of fun with. I don't expect the Eagles to win today, but who knows?

We have the Steelers and Bills later tonight. It should be an interesting day of football watching.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

The only early game in my area is Vikings-Bucs on FOX. 

The Colts play at 4:00 on CBS and the other late afternoon game is Packers-Lions. 

T Castonzo and DE Okereke are questionable for today. It looks like Josh Jacobs is out for the Raiders. If the season ended today, the Colts would be the #7 seed in the playoffs. So this game is important since the Raiders are right on the edge of playoff contention.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain