Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Four of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Gardenman said exactly how I feel about the whole thing. I'm not giving up football j because of protests; I enjoy watching the games too much. 

I have turned off some games in the past, but that was because the Colts were being pounded by the other team. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Okay week 4 the NFL season flies by so fast.......... Smiley Sad 

Da Bears vs Packers-  The Packers have so many injuries, the Bears surprised last week and beat the Steelers....for some odd reason something tells me to go with Retired NBA SPUR, Timmy Duncan's fav NFL team-DA BEARS!

Saints vs Dolphins---What the heck happened to the Dolphins....really 6 pts the big difference was no running game.....Well the Saints arent known for their running game either, or their defense......but Brees can put points on the board through the air......I don't trust Cutler going with THE SAINTS!

Bills vs Falcons-The Bills surprised and looked good....but this week they are going up against a well balanced Falcon team....Gotta go FALCONS!

Steelers vs Ravens---The Ravens laid an egg in London.....and the Steelers disappointed with a loss to the Bears.  With the Ravens offensive struggles, but I think the Steelers are the team to bounce back....going with the STEELERS! 

Bengals vs Browns---its the battle of OHIO---with 2 lackluster teams.....The Bengals seemed to have found their offense and lost, the Browns put up a battle but lost to the Colts...This is a toss up....Ill go with the Bengals who have the more experienced but disappointing QB..........BENGALS

LA Rams vs Cowboys---The Rams have been surprising and their QB seems to be on track, and they have a pretty good defense too......The Cowboys bounced back but who knows if Zeke will give 100% or not or be distracted by his ongoing court case. it seemed llke Dak kept the team together......This should be an interesting game....Former Redskin OC and now Rams HC knows Dallas well.....And will the Rams use the formula the Broncos showed them in how to beat Dallas.........Im going with the upset, Jerry's World hasnt necessarily always given Da Boyz a homefield advantage either....taking THE LA RAMS!!! 

Titans vs Texans--T is for Texas, T is for Tennessee goes the old Waylon Jennings country song........this should be a good game.  The Texans found their QB...and of couse they have JJ Watt to lead the D. The Titans put up the points against the tough Seattle defense.  Should be a good game!....I'm going with JJ Watt and the TEXANS!

Lions vs Vikings--Sam Bradford may be hurt but the Vikings surprised and put up the points last week with Keenum.  The Lions lost a heartbreaker to one of the top NFL teams, the Falcons, on a strange and unknown rule....My cat Figgy told me to pick the feline team so I'm going LIONS-ROAR LIONS ROARCat Very Happy

Panthers vs Patriots---Patriots squeaked out a win on the arm of Tom Brady....the Pats D isnt the same and injuries have taken away many of Tom's weapons but he still somehow gets it done.  Cam Newton doesn't look 100% and they have some key injuries...going with the PATRIOTS!!!  

Jaguars vs Jets---How bout those J*E*T*S JETS JETS JETS....what an upset...everyone thought they wanted to tank to get that #1 draft pick..but they didnt lay down....The Jags (London's team) really took it to the Falcons........Im going with the Jaguars although I dont quite trust Bortles....but neither can I trust the Jets either ----JAGUARS

49ers vs Cardinals---The Cardinals started out looking like they had the momentum and might win against the Cowboys, but a chain of events caused a victory to turn into the jaws of defeat.....The 49ers are in a rebuilding mode and have their eyes either on Kirk Cousins or a top QB pick in the draft..............going with the CARDINALS!

Eagles vs LA Chargers---Eagles almost lost the game to a  lackluster Giants team.......but the Eagle's FG kicker saved the day with that 61 yrd FG. The Eagles have some injuries on defense.    The Chargers had a couple of heartbreaking losses in games they should've won.....never under estimate Phillp Rivers......Im going with the CHARGERS!

Giants vs Bucs---Giants found their offense against an injury plagued Eagles Team......the Buc came out flat Winston had 3 interceptions was sacked twice and the team didnt have much of a running game.....I think Winston and Bucs bounce back and I'll take THE BUCS! 

Da Raiders vs Broncos--Da Raiders looked awful as the Redskin defense shut them down....the only reason the Raiders had any points was the Redskin mistakes that gave them the ball near the goal line for 10 pts.......Where was Carr....the Redskin D tamed "the beast"........and now they go up against the Broncos D lead by Von Miller........But the Broncos had problems of their own against the Bills of all teams.....I think Carr and company will bounce back and go with the RAIDERS!

Colts vs Seahawks---The Colts won in a close one (no Andrew Luck yet who isnt expected to return until week 7).....The Seahawks really struggled...But I think the Seahawks will prevail in this one especially at home with the 12th man---SEAHAWKS!

Redskins vs Chiefs-the battle of the tribes.......Who was that Redskin team that looked good on both offense and defense and shut down a good high flying Raider team........Kirk Cousin's passes were on target and Christ Thompson did a good job on the ground.......The Chiefs are more explosive on offense these days and have a good defense...but they are minus Eric Barry who is out with an injury...They are playing at Arrowhead (I would just love to go to a tailgate there with some of that good barbeque--YUM!) .... I'm going with my REDSKINS!!! keep going guys---HTTR! 

Good Luck Everyone!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@physicsnut wrote:

No thanks.  I am done with the NFL.

A couple of weeks ago I posted how I felt about the protests (in short they're stupid and achieve nothing other than reinforcing the very beliefs the players are supposedly against) so I won't go into that again. But, I won't let a few idiots and the media take away something I enjoy. I enjoy watching football at both the college and pro levels and I'll be danged if I'm going to give up something I love just because some of the players are naive idiots being manipulated for political or other purposes. 

Anyone who thinks you can end racism by taking a knee during the national anthem is at best naive, and in all likelihood utterly stupid. (Perhaps that's why Kaepernick still doesn't have a new team, not his political views or skills, but his overall intelligence?) This type of protest has gone on since the sixties. You had Tommie Smith and John Carlos with their black power salute at the 1968 Olympics. If this type of protest was successful, it would have ended in the sixties with the necessary reforms (if there still are any) taking place. The fact that this type of protest has gone on for nearly a half century tends to imply it's not the most effective form of protesting.

If there are laws you don't agree with, work to get them overturned, either in the courts, or through legislation. If there are racist police, identify them and get them removed from the force. (Though studies show you're more likely to be shot by the police as a white male than a black male, so the belief that the racist white police are actively gunning down every young black male they encounter is just that, a belief and not based in reality.)

This type of protest is stupid, ineffective, and more than a little outdated. It hasn't worked for fifty years, why would it work now? "We want racial equality!" Fine. What laws prevent that now? Danged if I can find any. In fact, nearly every law on the books is color blind. I can't find a single law that's written with different enforcement based on race. The media seems intent on creating an new civil war and it's just stupid. An idiot wants to protest during the national anthem? Fine. Let him or them. It tells me more about them than it does anything else. If they're stupid enough to think that's going to be more effective than actually working to bring about real change, then more power to them. It tells me more about their intelligence than anything.

I'll still watch the games. Why should I stop doing something I enjoy just because a few naive idiots are being manipulated like pawns on a chessboard? I'm 58 years old and I've seen real change in my lifetime. Protests like this never bring about real change. All they do is breed resentment and lead to trouble. Those encouraging these protests (the media who have made the national anthem required viewing when they used to go to commercial breaks during it) are doing so for their own purpose and I'm pretty sure it's not racial equality, but to divide and fracture the country.

@gardenman @physicsnut

Well said!!!  I'll watch because I love the game....if people want change it's not going to happen by staying in the locker room or kneeling while the National Anthem is playing....it takes some real discussions and putting together a real plan of action that will truly make a real difference! ......All they are doing is giving the media and social media something to talk about that wont amount to a hill of beans....ITS JUST A MEDIA FEEDING FRENZY and the players and fans that fall for it are just pawns of the media! ... ......... 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Super Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ--   I agree completely!!!

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@gardenman. No offense to you as I enjoy very much your sports posts. In my opinion it's not the NFL or "media" dividing the country. This nonsense was on its way to dying out. Now it is at a fever pitch. I can't say why here.

@proudlyfromNJ

thank you so much! not going to say much more than that (and i could say  A LOT more) because a number of threads were taken down last week. i love how you said this in just a few words.....and it said A LOT!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

NOW......i hope all of you who said that the STEELERS would win are going to lose your bets!!! Smiley LOL

RAVENS you can do this.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Only a 15 yard penalty on the Bear that hit our player last night?  He should have been ejected.  

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Only a 15 yard penalty on the Bear that hit our player last night?  He should have been ejected.  

Mark my words, he will pay for it later this week. He'll likely get a suspension and a large fine. The league doesn't like cheap shots like that. The officials on the field had the option to toss him but chose not to. The league will not be so kind.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

I so agree @AuntG

That was a vicious hit and the Bear player should definitely have been ejected. The NFL needs to act quickly and decisively to send a message that this kind of play will not be tolerated.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@AuntG

After all the talk about player safety and all he got was a 15 yd penalty--I agree he should have been ejected!!