Honored Contributor

Week Four of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Week four? Yikes! By this time next Tuesday we'll be one quarter of the way through the regular season! It's mind-numbing how quickly the NFL season flies by.

We start out this week with the Bears at the Packers. This is a measuring stick game for the Bears. Are they good enough to compete with the Packers? Probably not, but those NFC Central rivalry games tend to be close. I'll take the Packers.

New Orleans goes to Miami. I don't know what happened to the Dolphins last week. They ruined the Jets perfect totally defeated season and now the Jets will have to scramble to lose enough games to get that first overall pick. I'll take the Dolphins to bounce back and win a game this week at home against the Saints. 

Buffalo goes to Atlanta. The Falcons seem to have avoided that post-Super Bowl letdown and are playing good football. Buffalo's playing well also. I'll take Atlanta though. If the Bills can get a really big game from LeSean McCoy, they have a shot, but I suspect that's easier said than done.

Pittsburgh goes to Baltimore. I've got a bad feeling about this game for Baltimore. They just got spanked by Jacksonville in London, had to fly back across the Atlantic, and now face the Steelers. Vegas has the Ravens as a three point favorite, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm taking the Steelers in the upset this week.

Cincinnati goes to Cleveland in one of those epic battles between two winless teams to see which one gets the upper hand in getting that first overall pick next year. I suspect the Browns will disappoint their fans by winning this game and thus hurt their chances for that first overall pick. I think the Bengals have the more talented team, but there's just something wrong with that team. (Too many thugs? Bad coaching?) Anyway, for one of the few times this year, I'll pick Cleveland to get the win.

The Rams go to Dallas. I don't know if it's my natural anti-Dallas bias or not, but the Rams scoring 35+ points game, facing a Dallas defense that's patched together strikes me as a mismatch in favor of the Rams. The Rams are eight point underdogs as I type this, but that Ram defense (Aaron Donald in particular) are dominating and their offense is scoring points like they're going out of style. Dallas beat the Cards by going to a three man rush and dropping eight guys back into coverage to take away the passing game and ignored the Cards running game. If they try that with the Rams, Todd Gurley will be running wild. If they play a more conventional defense, Goff can pick them apart with his receiving corps. These aren't the old Rams. I'm picking the Rams in my big upset of the week. That Cowboy defense has shown they can stop the run or they can stop the pass, but I'm not so sure they can stop both and the Rams are a very balanced offense.

Tennessee goes to Houston in what promises to be a near must win game for the Texans. They don't want to drop to 1-3. The good news for the Texans is they've found their QB in DeShaun Watson. He just stood toe-to-toe with Tom Brady and nearly won. This should be a fun game and is largely a coin flip game for me. I'm going to assume that those two defensive ends of the Texans show up to play and play well this week and the Texans take this one, but it'll be a close game. (This is likely the best of the early games on Sunday.)

Detroit goes to Minnesota. The Vikings have been remarkably resilient as they've gone through quarterbacks the last couple of years. They need some stability in that position. Case Keenum played very well for them last week and with their stable of runningbacks they can compete pretty well every week. I'm going with the Vikings at home. 

Carolina goes to New England. In theory, this should be a good bounce back week for the Panthers as they face one of the worst defenses statistically in the NFL this week. (Who'd have thought we'd be saying that about a Patriot defense?) The thing is though that Cam Newton isn't right yet, but Tom Brady is. I'll take the Patriots in this one. 

Jacksonville goes to the Jets. The Jets need to get back on the ball and start losing games again or that first overall pick will slip through their fingers. After spending the whole offseason dismantling the team, they wasted all that effort by winning a game last week. I suspect they'll get back on track and lose to the Jags this week however. I'm taking the Jaguars to win this one.

The Niners go to the Cards this week. Not likely a great game. I'll take the Cards. The Cards aren't a mentally tough team, but they're better than the Niners. The Cards had the Cowboys on the ropes and then a missed field goal swung the momentum and the Cards were never able to take it back against the Cowboys. I don't think it'll be as hard getting the momentum back from the Niners should they lose it.

Philly goes out west to play the now LA Chargers. (By the way, one of the Philly sportswriters coined the name the San Angeles Ramgers for the Chargers. That sounds about right.) Expect there to be more Eagle fans in the stands than Charger fans. Eagle fans travel well, Charger fans, not so much. Injuries are the big question mark in this game. We were down six defensive starters by the third quarter of the Giants' game. (Which is largely how the Giants were able to score 24 points in the fourth quarter.) How many of those guys will be back and ready to play at something close to full strength? Darren Sproles is gone for the year, but the team just re-signed Kenjon Barner to replace him. Barner was with us for several years and was arguably our best runningback last year (4.9 yards per carry average) before being let go as a free agent in the offseason. He signed with the Chargers and was a late cut for them. He can returns kicks and punts well as well as run and catch, so he's a good Sproles replacement. If we're remotely healthy, I see the Eagles winning this game. If we're missing six defensive starters again, it'll be much more of a challenge. I'm picking the Eagles to eke this one out.

The Giants go to Tampa Bay in what's another must-win game for the Giants. Being 0-3 is bad, being 0-4 is worse. Sadly, I see 0-4 in their future. They only scored on the Eagles in the fourth quarter when six defensive starters were out of the game due to injuries. O'Dell Beckham Junior came alive late in that game and he and Eli should have gotten a confidence boost from that, but with no run game, poor offensive line play, and the Bucs having a week to see how they played against the Eagles, I have a feeling this will be a bad week for the Giants. DeSean Jackson was always a Giant killer with botht he Eagles and Redskins and I expect to see him do it again to the Giants this week with a big play or two to bury them. I'm taking the Bucs in this one. 

Oakland goes to Denver in what should be a good later game. Netiher team can afford to lose and they're pretty evenly matched. I guess I'll take Denver since they're playing at home.

Indy goes to Seattle. Uh-oh! While both teams are 1-2, Seattle's 1-2 looks a lot better than Indy's. Jacoby Brissett has done a great job of rallying the Colts around him and they got the win last week, but winning in Seattle isn't all that easy. I've got the Seahawks in this one and it could get ugly.

And we close out with Washingon at KC. The Chiefs are a very, very good team. The Redskins, not so much. I'm going with the Chiefs here in KC. Kirk Cousins will need to really be on his game for the Redskins to get the win this week. He can do it, but will he? I'm just not sure he trusts his new receivers enough yet. I'm taking the Chiefs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week Four of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Last week was a strange one. Hope I can get my picks back on track this week.

Esteemed Contributor

Bears - Green Bay twomorrow.

Thank goodness GB won last week so Aaron Rodgers won't have a chip on his shoulder for TNFB.   That man is brilliant.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

Bears - Green Bay twomorrow.

Thank goodness GB won last week so Aaron Rodgers won't have a chip on his shoulder for TNFB.   That man is brilliant.

Yeah. Aaron Rodgers is special. It's kind of a shame the Packers never really surrounded him with absolutely top of the line talent. I thought they might make a move to get Alshon Jeffery this last off season. He was available, affordable and would have been an upgrade at wide receiver, but instead they didn't make the move. The stats Aaron Rodgers could have put up with a better surrounding cast would have been amazing. Put him on that Cowboy team with their offensive line, a top of the line runningback and tight end, maybe add an AJ Green or Julio Jones and the numbers Rodgers could put up would be mind-blowing. Most seasons, Rodgers has been surrounded with sub-par talent, but has dragged them to the playoffs anyway. He's just a special QB. When you see what he's done with the talent around him, it's amazing. 

Go back to the past drafts and see who was there as offensive weapons when Green Bay picked and redraft with the idea of supporting Rodgers, and you can build a heck of a fantasy team. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Miami's owner wanted the game to be played in Miami instead of London because of the team's hectic schedule, but the NFL said no. I'm not sure what to expect from this game. Cutler vs Brees. Who knows which side will show up?

My area is televising the Steelers-Ravens. I always like watching those two teams play each other. I think  the Ravens swept the Steelers last year, Antonio Brown is a regular on my fantasy team (apologies to Sunshine45!) so I enjoy seeing how he does on the field. The Lions-Vikings is on FOX, so I might switch between both games.

I'm nervous about the Colts in Seattle. Russell Wilson hasn't looked that great, and the defense has problems, but the Seahawks aren't pushovers. This could be a tough game, and the Colts need to be fully prepared. I'm really liking Brissett, and hope he can continue playing well.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Packers over Bears              A Rodg over Glennon

Saints over Dolphins            Brees over Cutler every time

Bills over Atl                         Falcons owe me one!!  Shady is on my FF too

Steelers over Ravens           Ravens could be upset minded, but doubt it

Browns over Bengals           Someone has to win, going with home team

Rams over Dallas                 Gurley is also on my FF, I agree with @gardenman

Texans over Titans               Close game, going with home team again

Lions over Vikings                Let's see if the refs can blow our win again

Pats over Panthers               No contest

Jags over Jets                      Yawner

49ers over Cards                  Even without Johnson, they are a better team

Eagles over Chargers          Rivers is past his prime

Giants over Bucs                  Winston has not proven himself to me

Raiders over Broncos          Just personal preference

Seahawks over Colts           SEA is my Def/ST FF, so I am hoping for a few INTs

Chiefs over Redskins          KC looks unbeatable right now, I love Reid

Good Luck to all teams this week!!  Here's hoping the refs don't blow your team's win!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Here are my Week #4 picks... but after getting only six right last week, am not feeling exactly confident in these guesses!! Woman Wink

Green Bay over Chicago

Miami over New Orleans

Carolina over New England

Jacksonville over the NY Jets

Houston over Tennessee

Baltimore over Pittsburgh

Cleveland over Cincinnati

Minnesota over Detroit

Dallas over the LA Rams

Atlanta over Buffalo

Philadelphia over the LA Chargers

San Francisco over Arizona

Tampa Bay over the NY Giants

Denver over Oakland

Indianapolis over Seattle

Kansas City over Washington

Good luck to all!! 

Valued Contributor

No thanks.  I am done with the NFL.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

No thanks.  I am done with the NFL.

A couple of weeks ago I posted how I felt about the protests (in short they're stupid and achieve nothing other than reinforcing the very beliefs the players are supposedly against) so I won't go into that again. But, I won't let a few idiots and the media take away something I enjoy. I enjoy watching football at both the college and pro levels and I'll be danged if I'm going to give up something I love just because some of the players are naive idiots being manipulated for political or other purposes. 

Anyone who thinks you can end racism by taking a knee during the national anthem is at best naive, and in all likelihood utterly stupid. (Perhaps that's why Kaepernick still doesn't have a new team, not his political views or skills, but his overall intelligence?) This type of protest has gone on since the sixties. You had Tommie Smith and John Carlos with their black power salute at the 1968 Olympics. If this type of protest was successful, it would have ended in the sixties with the necessary reforms (if there still are any) taking place. The fact that this type of protest has gone on for nearly a half century tends to imply it's not the most effective form of protesting.

If there are laws you don't agree with, work to get them overturned, either in the courts, or through legislation. If there are racist police, identify them and get them removed from the force. (Though studies show you're more likely to be shot by the police as a white male than a black male, so the belief that the racist white police are actively gunning down every young black male they encounter is just that, a belief and not based in reality.)

This type of protest is stupid, ineffective, and more than a little outdated. It hasn't worked for fifty years, why would it work now? "We want racial equality!" Fine. What laws prevent that now? Danged if I can find any. In fact, nearly every law on the books is color blind. I can't find a single law that's written with different enforcement based on race. The media seems intent on creating an new civil war and it's just stupid. An idiot wants to protest during the national anthem? Fine. Let him or them. It tells me more about them than it does anything else. If they're stupid enough to think that's going to be more effective than actually working to bring about real change, then more power to them. It tells me more about their intelligence than anything.

I'll still watch the games. Why should I stop doing something I enjoy just because a few naive idiots are being manipulated like pawns on a chessboard? I'm 58 years old and I've seen real change in my lifetime. Protests like this never bring about real change. All they do is breed resentment and lead to trouble. Those encouraging these protests (the media who have made the national anthem required viewing when they used to go to commercial breaks during it) are doing so for their own purpose and I'm pretty sure it's not racial equality, but to divide and fracture the country.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman. No offense to you as I enjoy very much your sports posts. In my opinion it's not the NFL or "media" dividing the country. This nonsense was on its way to dying out. Now it is at a fever pitch. I can't say why here.