Honored Contributor

Week Five of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with a good Thursday night game as the Rams take on the Seahawks. You hate to say any game is a must-win game in week five, but a Seahawk loss would put them two games behind the Rams and likely three games behind the Cardinals (assuming the Cards beat the Niners.) You can make up a couple of games on one team but when you're chasing two or three it gets more complicated. I think desperation will propel Seattle to the win. 

The Jets and Falcons bore London with a Sunday morning game to see which bad team is the worst. The Jets are a young bad team that could get better while the Falcons are an older bad team that's more likely to continue to decline. I guess I'll take the Jets.

Detroit and Minnesota square off to see which NFC North team most deserves last place. Detroit has managed to lose every game so far, while Minnesota did eke out one win. I'll guess I'll take the Vikings in this one.

The Saints take on the WFT. I'm beginning to think WFT stands for "We Forgot how to Tackle." The WFT defense has given up the most points in the NFC and is just behind KC for the most points given up by the whole league. KC does have the slight advantage of having also scored the most points (tied with Buffalo) which makes giving up a lot of points less of an issue. The Saints have played pretty well on defense, giving up just 69 points in four games while scoring 94, but have still managed to find a way to lose two games. I don't see that WFT defense stopping the Saints, so I'll take the Saints.

New England goes to Houston. Both teams are 1-3 but New England's 1-3 is better than the Texans 1-3. The Patriots have scored 71 points while giving up 70. The Texans have scored 67 while giving up 116. The Patriots have an exciting, young, kid QB. The Texans have a top-five veteran QB, who they're not playing. I'll take New England in this one.

In the battle of Florida, Miami takes on Tampa Bay. I don't see this ending well for Miami. Brady and the Bucs are the better team. I'll take Tampa.

Green Bay goes to Cincinnati in what should be a good game. Both teams are 3-1 and playing well. This is kind of a toss-up game for me. I guess I'll take the Bengals at home.

Denver (3-1) goes to Pittsburgh (1-3) in one of those games where you look at the records and ask, "Wait, is that right?" Denver was expected to be bad this year while the Steelers are always good. The Broncos' defense is among the best in the league having only given up 49 points while the Steelers' Steel Curtain defense has given up 93. It's hard to pick against the Steelers in Pittsburgh, and my gut says not to, but I'm going with my head and taking the Broncos for the win.

The Eagles head to Carolina to try and find a way to win a game. In weeks one and two the defense played well. In weeks one and four the offense played well. When both play well, the Eagles win. When only one side is playing well the Eagles lose. The good news for the Eagles is the Panthers' offense isn't the Chiefs or Cowboys. I'm going with the Eagles eking out a road win in this one.

The Titans got to Jacksonville. The Jags are an "Interesting" team this year. Maybe a little too interesting for their owner. Urban Meyer's job is reportedly hanging by a thread. That thread will get a bit thinner after the Titans spank them on Sunday. I'll take the Titans in this one.

The Browns take on the Chargers in a battle of 3-1 teams. I'll give a slight edge to the Browns in this one. I think they're just a tick better overall.

The Bears take on the Raiders. The Bears have issues. They'll need to score a lot to beat the Raiders and I don't see them scoring a lot. I'll take the Raiders.

The Niners take on the Cards in a good NFC West showdown. The Cards are playing pretty nearly perfect football right now. The Niners, well, not so much. I'll take the Cards.

The Giants mosey on down to Dallas to get spanked. While you can never tell how an NFC East game will go, this doesn't look good for the Giants. Can they win? Yes. If they dust off Saquon Barkley and pound that Cowboy defense and keep the ball away from the Cowboys. I'm not sure how the Cowboys cutting Jaylon Smith goes over in the locker room. If he's a locker room cancer, it could help the Cowboys. If he's liked/loved by his fellow players, it could hurt the Cowboys. Cutting a starter loose midseason gets players' attention and not always in a good way. I'm taking the Cowboys to win, but this could be a lot closer than expected and an upset wouldn't shock me.

We've got a really good Sunday night game with the Bills going to KC. That Chiefs defense is very, very porous, and that Bills offense is pretty darn good. The Bills' defense and the Chiefs' offense are both very good. I'm taking that Bills defense to slow down KC enough for the Bills to get the win. 

And finally, on Monday night we have the Colts taking on the Ravens. I think this will be a pretty close game. The Colts could get the win, but I think the Ravens will get the win. It should be a fun game to watch though. It could come down to the very last play.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Week Five of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

The Colts got DE Kahlil Davis off waivers from Tampa. He fills a need since there are several players on IR. 

Analysts and posters are saying that the Colts should sign Jaylon Smith. I'm not sure; there has to be reason that he was released. Problem in the locker room? Too many injuries? I don't know if he would be a good fit.

The Patriots are releasing Stephan Gilmore. This comes as surprise to me. He recently won Defensive Player of the Year. Maybe this has something to do with a contract dispute. he was holding out for more money.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Gilmore to Tampa Bay makes sense given the injury issues they've had at corner.

The Jaylon Smith move was a bit odd. Since they kept him on the roster week one, they're tied to his salary this year anyway, so you may as well keep him. He's a vested veteran. They still owe him $5.2 million this season. As a vested vet, he doesn't have to do the waiver wire stuff and can sign with another team as soon as he's officially waived (4 PM today). There's offset language in the deal he signed with the Cowboys, so they're only on the hook for the difference between his new deal and the $5.2 million they still owe him. Odds are he'll sign for the veteran minimum so the Cowboys will end up paying him most of that $5.2 million.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman. Hopefully the Eagles will get healthy and play better this week.  The offensive line, with the exception of Jason Kelce, was all subs.  The penalties must stop.  #77 had 4 on Sunday, and, Derrick Barnett needs to stop his nonsense. 

Congratulations to Andy Reid!!!!  The only head coach in the NFL to win 100 games with 2 different franchises.  Well done!

Honored Contributor

Bengals?? No way.

Trusted Contributor

Read your speculation on Jaylon Smith.  Here in Dallas the sports reporters are saying he just hasn't lived up to expectations lately, past his prime, and they have other defensive players better so don't need him anymore.  It will save money in the long run.

Honored Contributor

The Packers are signing Jaylon Smith. Interesting. The Packers and Cowboys could meet up in the playoffs and he'll likely be highly motivated.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Rams/Seahawks tonight. It should be a pretty good game. For those without the NFL Network, it'll also air on Fox and Amazon Prime. Lots of viewing options. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Last night's game was pretty good but turned into the Finger Bowl with each starting QB dinging a finger. Geno Smith almost pulled out the win for the Seahawks, but a receiver falling killed the final drive when he fell and the defender intercepted the ball.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Last night's game was pretty good but turned into the Finger Bowl with each starting QB dinging a finger. Geno Smith almost pulled out the win for the Seahawks, but a receiver falling killed the final drive when he fell and the defender intercepted the ball.

@gardenman 

What are the odds of BOTH QBS having finger injuries...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”