Honored Contributor

Re: Week Five of the 2020 NFL Regular Season!!!

Some good news for Dak. They say he could be released from the hospital today. That's quicker than I'd expected. The surgery went well, so that's good. He's likely got some internal fixation (screws/plate or plates) that could stay in place or come out later. He'll be monitored for infection since it was a compound fracture with broken skin, but they're letting him go fairly quickly if the reports of him being released today are accurate. 

These kinds of injuries are tough on the players as they can't really shop for the best surgeon. Whoever the fracture surgeon on call at the hospital at the time is the guy/gal who gets to do the repair. I suspect they're a bit more focused doing the surgery on an NFL quarteback than a "normal" person, but unlike an ACL or tendon injury, a compound fracture isn't something you can wait a few days or weeks on for a top notch orthopedic surgeon to see you. Whoever the fracture surgeon on call is at whatever hospital the player ends up at is the guy/gal who does the repair. 

We'll see how Dak does now in the recovery process. In about eight to ten weeks the healing should be well under way. If he goes a week or two with no infection, that threat should be pretty much gone and his recovery should move forward without incident.

The big issue for him now is nerve damage. Were any nerves damaged and to what extent. If there was no nerve damage, then you're apt to see him moving around without crutches or issues in ten to twelve weeks, maybe less. By February or March he's apt to be running and working his way back into playing shape.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

One correction in your WFT analysis ---the QB is Kyle Allen not Josh....believe me I'd LOVE to have Josh Allen!!!  Haskins wasnt even at the game....stomach flu they said....yah, right....🙄 So if Alex had gotten hurt and Kyle was in concussion protocol I wonder who wouldve been in at QB....of course it wouldnt have mattered since our O-line was virtually NON-existent and both QBs got plummeled....😣

Yep only a matter of time that Quinn and the GM were axed in Atlanta....lets see who's next....my pick is Gase.....

One interesting point that the local sports guys made on Andy Dalton...he's certainly not as mobile as Dak either...which spells more problems for the Cowboys, which means the Cowboys will probably rely more on their running game now, get ready Zeke.....And even if the Cowboys manage to win the pathetic NFC Least--- Dalton's record is miserable in the playoffs....some fans refer to him as "Not Ready For Prime Time Andy"......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Oops! Kyle, Josh, they're pretty much the same.

You can make an argument this is the best cast Andy Dalton's had on offense, but the Bengals gave him some pretty good guys also. AJ Green is no slouch on the rare occasion he's healthy. The combination of that patchwork o-line, no defense, a declining Elliott and iffy tight ends will be interesting to see how it all plays out in Dallas.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Oops! Kyle, Josh, they're pretty much the same.

You can make an argument this is the best cast Andy Dalton's had on offense, but the Bengals gave him some pretty good guys also. AJ Green is no slouch on the rare occasion he's healthy. The combination of that patchwork o-line, no defense, a declining Elliott and iffy tight ends will be interesting to see how it all plays out in Dallas.

@gardenman 

Josh Allen has been playing well for the Bills this year.....

Before Week 4 NFL.com ranked the Bills Josh Allen the fourth-best QB in the NFL....

Allen’s off to a heck of a start, becoming the only QB in NFL history to throw for more than 1,000 yards, toss 10 touchdowns and run for another two in his first three games to start a season.. Allen moved up one spot, jumping over Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson in the rankings.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

I thought this was interesting what Mike Florio said about Dak and his contract---

From the Jets to the Broncos (maybe) to the Jaguars to the Colts to the Lions to the Giants to Washington to the Eagles to the Falcons to the Saints (maybe) to the Buccaneers (maybe) to the 49ers, plenty of other teams will be looking for quarterbacks and would be foolish to not consider making a run at Dak, if the Cowboys fail (again) to sign him and allow him (finally) to see what the market will bear for his services.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I would think the Jets would be looking for Trevor Lawrence more than Dak. The solid teams looking for a QB soon would seem to be the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and Niners. All four are ready to win now. All four could make a play for Haskins or Sam Darnold also. They'll all want a solid starter. I might add the Seahawks and Bears to that list also. Russell Wilson is getting a bit older. The Falcons and Lions could both be also, but with new head coaches, they may be looking for a kid QB. 

The Eagles have Wentz and Jalen Hurts, so they're pretty much set for a bit. They love both of those guys. 

I'm pretty sure Dak will sign with the Cowboys, but at Dak's price and on Dak's terms.  JJ has just been putting off the inevitable. He's in a fight he can't win. It's a stupid fight too. He could have played hardball with Zeke and Demarcus Lawrence and if need be replaced them, but he can't replace Dak all that easily. Good QBs don't just grow on trees. Running backs and defensive ends aren't all that hard to find. He folded early and gave them whatever they wanted. Now he's playing hardball with Dak? It's just dumb. Dak's getting $31 million plus this year, if JJ tags him again it'll be $37+ million and if he tags him again $50+ million. 

Dak's floor for a new contract should now be $37-$42 million a year. If I was his agent I might go in asking $45 million a year. JJ's been offering around $30 million a year, but with a nearly guaranteed $37+ million next year, Dak would be stupid to sign for less than that.

His injury came while he was hot and having a very, very good year, which could help him in negotiations. He was likely to have a slump later and if he'd gotten hurt in a slump his bargaining position would have been worse. Dak will get his money. The Cowboys will fold and give him what he wants.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

I would think the Jets would be looking for Trevor Lawrence more than Dak. The solid teams looking for a QB soon would seem to be the Steelers, Colts, Saints, and Niners. All four are ready to win now. All four could make a play for Haskins or Sam Darnold also. They'll all want a solid starter. I might add the Seahawks and Bears to that list also. Russell Wilson is getting a bit older. The Falcons and Lions could both be also, but with new head coaches, they may be looking for a kid QB. 

The Eagles have Wentz and Jalen Hurts, so they're pretty much set for a bit. They love both of those guys. 

I'm pretty sure Dak will sign with the Cowboys, but at Dak's price and on Dak's terms.  JJ has just been putting off the inevitable. He's in a fight he can't win. It's a stupid fight too. He could have played hardball with Zeke and Demarcus Lawrence and if need be replaced them, but he can't replace Dak all that easily. Good QBs don't just grow on trees. Running backs and defensive ends aren't all that hard to find. He folded early and gave them whatever they wanted. Now he's playing hardball with Dak? It's just dumb. Dak's getting $31 million plus this year, if JJ tags him again it'll be $37+ million and if he tags him again $50+ million. 

Dak's floor for a new contract should now be $37-$42 million a year. If I was his agent I might go in asking $45 million a year. JJ's been offering around $30 million a year, but with a nearly guaranteed $37+ million next year, Dak would be stupid to sign for less than that.

His injury came while he was hot and having a very, very good year, which could help him in negotiations. He was likely to have a slump later and if he'd gotten hurt in a slump his bargaining position would have been worse. Dak will get his money. The Cowboys will fold and give him what he wants.

@gardenman 

Our local sports guys agree with what you said about Dak and think the Cowboys will get him signed to a contract pending any serious complications from this injury.

I thought it was a bit odd, but interesting that Florio named the Eagles as a possible landing spot for Dak with both Wentz and Hurts on board......

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The Cowboys don't really have a lot of choice other than signing Dak. If they lose out and get the first overall pick and Trevor Lawrence is there it might be a different story, but barring that, Dak is their only real option. People forget that Dak was drafted to be Romo's backup and eventual replacement. They weren't looking at him as their immediate replacement. It was only after Romo got hurt that Dak became their starter. They got very lucky with Dak and they're unlikely to repeat that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Justin Herbert continued to look good last night. Brees ended up pulling out the win, but the kid can play. One thing everyone learned this week is not to give the ball to Brees or Russell Wilson with a chance to win the game.

Dak Prescott is already back home and starting his recovery process. That was very quick. I was expecting them to keep him in the hospital for a while just to watch for infection, but no. Less than 24 hours after the break he'd had his surgery and was already back at home. They expect a recover timeline of 4-6 months which means he'll be ready for next season easily. I would anticipate him sitting out of everything though until he gets a new deal that's to his liking. The Cowboys will almost certainly tag him again, and coming off a pace that would have rewritten the QB record books, Dak has no need to take less than absolute top dollar.

Sunday's Eagles game against the Ravens will be interesting. It's one of the four "likely losses" remaining on the schedule. (The Ravens, Packers, Seahawks, and Saints.) Likely wins remaining on the schedule include the Giants (twice), Cowboys (twice), and Redskins. The Cardinals and Browns games are kind of iffy. If the Eagles can get a win or two from the "likely loss" column and win the games they should win, you're likely looking at a 9-7 or 10-6 record despite the somewhat horrible start.

One big benefit to the Eagles play this year is that the kids are getting a lot of experience and are looking good so far. That lets the Eagles move on from some higher priced, older vets. Alshon Jeffery, DeSean Jackson, and Jason Peters, are almost certainly gone. Lane Johnson, Jason Kelce, and Brandon Graham could be heading off elsewhere also. Fletcher Cox might even be dangled on the trade market to see what kind of interest he draws. It's likely to be a very different looking team next year. 

The Eagles have a good crop of young defensive ends ready to step in with Derek Barnett, Josh Sweat, Genard Avery, Casey Toohill, Daeshon Hall, and Joe Ostman. Do they keep Brandon Graham with those guys ready to take on a bigger role? I don't know. Malik Jackson and Javon Hargrave are solid defensive tackles with some kids behind them which could make Fletcher Cox expendable.

The o-line is three deep at almost every spot with quality kids who are already stepping in and playing well. It'll be a very interesting trading deadline coming up now and also predraft next year. I would expect to see a few guys moving on.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Contributor

Smiley EmbarassedSmiley Very Happy For SURE!!!