Honored Contributor

Re: Week Five of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

We'll see lots of teams raiding practice squads over the next few weeks/months. Once you know you're out of the playoff hunt, you start building for next year. If there's a guy on the roster you don't want back next year, you cut him loose. If there's a guy on the roster you want to keep next year, but there's a practice squad guy at the same position who's caught your eye, you look for an excuse to put your guy on IR. "What's wrong with your face?" asked the GM. "It's just a pimple." A few hours later a press release goes out that the player has been put on IR for an "upper-body injury" and so and so has been signed from a practice squad to take his roster spot.

If you're a veteran player on a losing team this time of year, you can't sneeze without ending up on IR and them signing a kid off another team's practice squad that's caught their eye.

It's especially bad for guys on teams where the head coach has already been fired. If a coach's job is in jeopardy, he'll want to keep everyone up and playing as long and as hard as possible to try to eke out enough wins to keep his job. When the coach gets fired, then the GM plays the roster shuffle game without hesitation. The Redskins will probably rotate through eighty or ninety guys on the roster over the course of this season as they try to find some of the pieces they want for next year. They know their own practice squad guys and what they can do, so they'll just end up parked there, while the Redskins raid other team's practice squads and street free agents to try and find some hidden gems.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

Long ago the Redskins might have had a short time of success back when Mary Schottenheimer was the coach...he had them headed in the right direction....but he and Snyder clashed heads and that wasn't going to sit well with Danny boy...even though what Marty said was best for the team....and how did that work out....

The only enjoyable thing about the Pats/Redskins game was the fact no Charles Davis as the announcer it was Greg Gumble and former Redskin QB, Trent Green....he told some stories and was singing the praises of Norv Turner as Redskin coach......Ahhh Trent, what could've been, my thinking was to ditch Heath Shuler and Gus Ferotte and go with Trent (Trent looked the best out of all the prospective Redskin QBS)....wonder what would have happened to the team....hmmmm.....they should have listened to ME!!

@Spurt  I almost never contribute here, but felt compelled to jump in. Even though you know I'm not a fan, despite them being my local team, the overall problem with the Redskins is and has been ownership, since Snyder pulled the fast one that left him in the driver's seat. The woes are compounded by his hiring of an ineffective yes man in Allen and, as everyone can see, the team, essentially has gathered very little talent... Some of that is Allen and some of that is Snyder... I don't follow football closely, so this might be old news to you, but Gruden purportedly wanted Daniel Jones as the qb pick but Snyder wanted the latest current going nowhere loser and, of course, got what he wanted... Allen, as usual, backed him up... The same two were responsible for the RG 3 debacle... One of the reasons Cook was so successful as an owner is because he stayed the heck out of the operation, something Snyder will apparently never learn to do. To make matters worse, it's been said that no truly top notch coach is likely to come to DC because they don't want to put up with Snyder's interference...

On top of all else, news reports are that Snyder and Allen called Gruden in for a 5 AM meeting just so they could fire him... Nice guys...

As for Trent Green, he was doing very well with the Redskins when yet another dipstick of a GM, Casserly, decided to trade him and bring in Brad Johnson, among a lengthy series of journeyman qb's, none of whom really performed particularly well and most of whom were probably decent back-up material, at best... Green might well have given the team a decent chance, but it wasn't to be because of another front office blunder...

My advice to you is to find a new team, because Snyder will never sell the team but until he does, they're going to go nowhere... There may be occasional flashes of competence but my guess is they'll be short lived and not of a championship caliber...

@stevieb 

For some reason I thought Id hear from you..Woman Very Happy..Yes Cook was a success because he just wrote the checks and lifted up the trophies and in between stayed out of the way of the football folks and let them do their thing....

And in the Press Conference Bruce was asked when he and Snyder met and made the decision and Bruce said 7Pm or 8PM....and yes, ESPN's Trey Wingo made mention of the 5AM time Gruden got the call for the meeting .....kinda adding insult to injury.....

You did an excellent summary of how Snyder really screwed this team up ...and his first YES MAN, Vinny Cerato, really started putting the nails in the coffin ....THE REDSKINS ARE INDEED A DISASTER!!!......  I was reading a fan Blog and this was at the start of the season.....77% voted for Snyder to move the team to another city and have the NFL give the VA/MD/DC area a new NFC team..they said that was the only way that things would change ...Woman LOL  Even though my city has been yearning and begging for an NFL team and have put their name in for consideration so many times...... I dont think my city would even take them Woman Frustrated

Well at least I have my well run Spurs ...(and hey they have the first NBA woman's assistant coach to boot--she's been promoted and moved up to first assistant this year too-Woman Very Happy) But even they are in a transition with all of the "big 3" now retired....and a roster of promising youngsters...some have already surprised....in another year or two ....watch out...

(I know there was the Kawhi incident but he never really wanted to fit in----he didnt like doing the funny commercials, the player "get to know you" dinners, he never made friends with other players on the team....Some say he suffers from clinical depression caused by his father's murder...He disrespected the Spurs the team that took a chance on him and developed him. Then he made illegal demands to the Raptors and Lakers that tried to sign him--the whole thing orchestrated by him and Uncle Dennis....Also he's being sued by Nike for "the claw" trademark (Kawhi's nickname)....not a good guy..)

BTW how are the Nats doing????????

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

@Spurt: Washington signed Colts' TE Hale Hentges. He played in almost all the preseason games and was on the practice squad. I was impressed with Hentges; he has a lot of potential. I hope he does well despite all the drama going on the Washington. 

@teganslaw 

Thanks for the heads up...and good to hear Hale is a promising prospect....It took the Redskins long enough to figure out TE Jordan Reed's not coming back...SMH!!!  Poor Colt couldve used some weapons out there....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt  You and I both know you couldn't care less about baseball... Woman LOL But the Nats are still in it, at least for one more game...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

We'll see lots of teams raiding practice squads over the next few weeks/months. Once you know you're out of the playoff hunt, you start building for next year. If there's a guy on the roster you don't want back next year, you cut him loose. If there's a guy on the roster you want to keep next year, but there's a practice squad guy at the same position who's caught your eye, you look for an excuse to put your guy on IR. "What's wrong with your face?" asked the GM. "It's just a pimple." A few hours later a press release goes out that the player has been put on IR for an "upper-body injury" and so and so has been signed from a practice squad to take his roster spot.

If you're a veteran player on a losing team this time of year, you can't sneeze without ending up on IR and them signing a kid off another team's practice squad that's caught their eye.

It's especially bad for guys on teams where the head coach has already been fired. If a coach's job is in jeopardy, he'll want to keep everyone up and playing as long and as hard as possible to try to eke out enough wins to keep his job. When the coach gets fired, then the GM plays the roster shuffle game without hesitation. The Redskins will probably rotate through eighty or ninety guys on the roster over the course of this season as they try to find some of the pieces they want for next year. They know their own practice squad guys and what they can do, so they'll just end up parked there, while the Redskins raid other team's practice squads and street free agents to try and find some hidden gems.

@gardenman 

Thats a great analysis and what a NORMAL team would do....but look who you are dealing with....#FIREBRUCEALLEN!!!.......

And former coach Jack Del Rio had an interesting take on the Redskins situation....He said it in a diplomatic way of course....But he said Gruden was trying to make Haskins and other players fit into his scheme instead of fitting his scheme to the players...He said if he was the coach and had Haskins, he would have met with the Ohio St coach in the spring and talked to him about plays that worked well for Haskins and incorporated those plays into the Redskins game plan....MAKES SENSE!!!  Jay was stubborn and went with HIS PLAN!!! (But maybe thats the only way he had a sense of power.)....

And to me thats why the Patriots are a success they evaluate each player and develop a plan to play to their strengths....thats why "no name players"  succeed in their systems and why the team is a success....

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt  You and I both know you couldn't care less about baseball... Woman LOL But the Nats are still in it, at least for one more game...

@stevieb 

GO NATS!!!!! Smiley Wink