Honored Contributor

Re: Week Five of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

It's going to be a heck of a fight for those first few draft picks this year. The Dolphins looked like they had a lock on the first overall pick, but the Jets, Bengals, and Redskins aren't letting them have it too easily. If you're a top-rated kid coming out of college, which of those four organizations would you prefer to end up with? Maybe none of the above? "You know I could play one more year in college. There's no need to rush things."

On the off chance the Redskins end up with that first overall pick and sign Nick Saban to be the head coach, it might be a good spot for Tua to land. The coach and player know each other pretty well. The team already has a nice stockpile of former Alabama players. The culture fit would be pretty much ready-made. Saban could mine college for unheralded players he liked who fit his schemes.

You could see things turn around pretty quickly for the Redskins if things fell into place just right. It would still take a year or two before they'd be fully ready to compete, but it would be one heck of a headstart.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Kemoko Turay is out for the season with a broken ankle. He might have to have surgery. It looked bad, but I was hoping the results were different. 

I noticed that the camera spent a lot of time on Mahomes. Maybe they wanted to see his reaction to the way the game progressed. He's not used to playing from behind and being pressured. Or the camera person just likes Mahomes. 

LOL about "the red clapper." That is a good description of Garrett.

@teganslaw  @yellowrose 

That extra close up camera work on Mahomes was strange and a bit disturbing....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 

CONGRATS on your Ravens....only saw highlights of the game....but WOW it looked like an exciting one...and your singing kicker came through....I didnt realize he was a Texas Longhorn...

@gardenman @teganslaw 

What I think caused this whole thing to happen now instead of waiting until the end of the season was a remark that Belichick made about the fact that there seemed to be more Patriot fans in the stands than Redskin fans ........I think that put a thorn in Danny's  claw....

Here's the rumored HC replacement short list so far:

Mike Tomlin---I dont think he'd leave the Steelers...stability for chaos and uncertainty....

Todd Bowles---?????

And GARDENMAN a name you might have heard of---

Eric Bieniemy was a RB in the NFL from 1991-1999, and played for the Chargers, Bengals, and Eagles. He has been a RB coach and and offensive coordinator in college and in the NFL since 2001. Bienemy joined Andy Reid’s coaching staff in 2013 as the Chiefs RB coach. He was promoted to Offensive Coordinator last year, and has some HC buzz this year.

This is what I mean----about Danny and his decisions-----

I think we need an offensive minded coach and QB whisperer that can groom young Haskins....

Here's a name I thought of.....Jim Harbaugh he's on the hot seat at Michigan....but he was a pretty decent NFL Coach, even made Colin K look good....And just think he'd be near his brother John ... Smiley Wink 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

thanks for the information regarding the fines and where the money goes.

good to know that that money is being put to good use for those in need.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Boy that press conference with Bruce..those reporters let him have it!!!! I was glad:

They questioned him on his record, and asked what's your accountability for the lack of success, they even mentioned Beli's comment about more Patriot fans than Redskin fans, and the reporter asked Bruce to apologize to the Redskin fans (his reponse is Patriots popular team they put their tickets on the market to make some money)....Of course Mr. Cliche kept saying the same thing...everyone is working hard, our coaches, our scouts are working hard, the players want are putting forth effort, the culture is good,  people are working hard, check Doug Williams time record......the pieces are here we have to put them in the right place, we have a young team.... All we can do is try to improve.  

They asked about Trent Williams and if they considered trading him in view of the season's outcome...He said there was no dialogue, and no they aren't trading him...SMH!!!  And someone asked where was Dan Snyder and Bruce's response, because I'm here....But they continued would he be available to talk about the franchise.....(Folks, if it weren't sad it would be funny)....

And the interim coach Callahan I didnt realize this......he was with Bruce in Oakland...always that "Bruce" connection never thinking outside the box...

Anyway....didnt think the link would be allowed by QVC Mods, but google it and give it a listen....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

"The pieces are here... " is a lie. The pieces to build a winning team aren't there, and probably won't be there for a couple of more years. Is Haskins a good piece? Maybe. We'll have to see, but they have a lot of holes to fill. If they traded away guys with value, kidnapped some guys off practice squads to fill out the roster and replace the guys traded away, they'd have a chance to rebound fairly quickly. The Eagles did that a few years ago. Once they knew they were out of the hunt, they cut loose guys who didn't fit, raided practice squads all around the league and signed free agents off the street to try and find a few good guys who would be keepers. There are guys on practice squads and on the street who could help the Redskins given a chance. They wouldn't make a huge impact this year, but they'd be ready to step in next year and contribute.

Bienemy could be good, but being the offensive coordinator with Mahomes makes anyone look good. You're never sure how much the OC does in KC and how much is Andy. Jim Harbaugh's not a bad idea. John Defillippo, now Jags OC, former Eagles QB coach, is another name to watch. He's done a good job with Minshew. He championed the Eagles drafting Wentz. He knows QBs and how to get the most out of them.

My gut says Snyder will go for a "name" hire like a Lincoln Riley, Nick Saban, Jim Harbaugh, or an out of work former "name" head coach.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I love football, always have, but, the officiating crews need to be retrained.  Calls are inconsistent and seem to depend on the team and location of the game.

Yesterday in Dallas, the officials certainly tried to give the game to the Cowboys.  Of course, location never matters when the Patriots are playing.  Brady always gets special treatment!

My feelings about penalties is and has always been the same;  if you call something on one side, call it on the other side as well.  Regardless of professional, college, high school, or youth sports the officials should not be allowed to sway the outcome of the game.  

For instance, an open hand to the helmet was given a 15 yard penalty yesterday during the Green Bay-Dallas game.  Yet, players are constantly slapping one another on the helmet after plays.  Double standard???

As for my Eagles, the defense stepped up and played well.  Offense needs work!!!  Stupid penalties must stop!!!  Starting offense didn't play in preseason and it shows.  It's week 5 and Ertz  just scored his first TD.  Not throwing to this receiver is just stupid.  He has proven his value.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman 

Long ago the Redskins might have had a short time of success back when Mary Schottenheimer was the coach...he had them headed in the right direction....but he and Snyder clashed heads and that wasn't going to sit well with Danny boy...even though what Marty said was best for the team....and how did that work out....

The only enjoyable thing about the Pats/Redskins game was the fact no Charles Davis as the announcer it was Greg Gumble and former Redskin QB, Trent Green....he told some stories and was singing the praises of Norv Turner as Redskin coach......Ahhh Trent, what could've been, my thinking was to ditch Heath Shuler and Gus Ferotte and go with Trent (Trent looked the best out of all the prospective Redskin QBS)....wonder what would have happened to the team....hmmmm.....they should have listened to ME!!

@Spurt  I almost never contribute here, but felt compelled to jump in. Even though you know I'm not a fan, despite them being my local team, the overall problem with the Redskins is and has been ownership, since Snyder pulled the fast one that left him in the driver's seat. The woes are compounded by his hiring of an ineffective yes man in Allen and, as everyone can see, the team, essentially has gathered very little talent... Some of that is Allen and some of that is Snyder... I don't follow football closely, so this might be old news to you, but Gruden purportedly wanted Daniel Jones as the qb pick but Snyder wanted the latest current going nowhere loser and, of course, got what he wanted... Allen, as usual, backed him up... The same two were responsible for the RG 3 debacle... One of the reasons Cook was so successful as an owner is because he stayed the heck out of the operation, something Snyder will apparently never learn to do. To make matters worse, it's been said that no truly top notch coach is likely to come to DC because they don't want to put up with Snyder's interference...

On top of all else, news reports are that Snyder and Allen called Gruden in for a 5 AM meeting just so they could fire him... Nice guys...

As for Trent Green, he was doing very well with the Redskins when yet another dipstick of a GM, Casserly, decided to trade him and bring in Brad Johnson, among a lengthy series of journeyman qb's, none of whom really performed particularly well and most of whom were probably decent back-up material, at best... Green might well have given the team a decent chance, but it wasn't to be because of another front office blunder...

My advice to you is to find a new team, because Snyder will never sell the team but until he does, they're going to go nowhere... There may be occasional flashes of competence but my guess is they'll be short lived and not of a championship caliber...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Those ten sacks by the Eagles have probably gotten Kirk Cousins' attention as he studies the film. Film like that can help you win the next week as the next QB will hear and feel pressure even if it's not there. Watching the previous QB get knocked around like that gets the attention of the next few QBs and has them hearing footsteps and rushing things even if the pressure isn't there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt: Washington signed Colts' TE Hale Hentges. He played in almost all the preseason games and was on the practice squad. I was impressed with Hentges; he has a lot of potential. I hope he does well despite all the drama going on the Washington. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain