Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Five of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

I didn't expect the game to be like this. Frank Reich designed a flawless game plan: keep Mahomes off the field and go with the running game, which is one of the Chiefs' weaknesses.  The Chiefs shot themselves in the foot with penalties, and the Colts took advantage when possible. They pressured Mahomes and sacked him four times.   Mahomes almost had his first interception, but it was later reversed to an incomplete pass. 

Sad to see Turay injured. I don't know the details of the injury yet. And thanks to KC for letting  Justin Houston sign with Indy. Woman Very Happy Now we get a bye week to rest up before facing the Texans. 

Is it really Jay Gruden's fault that the Redskins are winless? I know that there are problems with the front office. I expect to see Gruden end up as coordinator with another team. It would be interesting if he went to an NFC divison rival. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Redkins roster is their biggest problem. They just don't have enough talented players to win consistently. Adrian Peterson is well past his prime. He's their primary running back. The quarterback room is populated with career backups and an inexperienced kid who needs more time to learn to play the position. The offensive line is patched together. Their best offensive lineman, Trent Williams, refused to play for them this year. Their next best guy Scherff is/was hurt. Their best tight end is eternally injured. The wide receivers are a disaster and would be backups, at best, on most rosters. (With the exception of McLaurin, but even he needs a year or two of seasoning and would likely be learning behind a vet on most teams.)

They've got some talent on the defensive line, but that's about it. They cut their leading tackler for the last two years at linebacker in Zach Brown, who's now starting for the Eagles. They've got Josh Norman at corner, but he's getting up there a bit and his game has fallen off. They signed Landon Collins, but he's primarily a run-stopping safety and isn't great at pass coverage. There's really no place on the roster where you can look and say, "This is a good solid position for us" other than maybe the d-line.

The Redskins need a rebuild. Derrius Guice is not going to be the longterm answer at running back given his injury history. Adrian Peterson is well past his prime. Wendell Smallwood is an Eagles castoff who's a nice change of pace player, but not a dynamic runner.

If you have the right GM, the Redskins are in a good spot. You can safely pick the best player on the board in the draft and not have to worry about finding a place for him to play. You can sign mid-tier free agents and know they'll be an improvement over what you've got. You don't have to overspend to get the best guy. A good guy will be an improvement. You could flip the team into being a competitive team in a year or two. They really need to fix the QB situation though. Then give him a good line and some weapons.

The reality is you could look at the current Redskins roster as an expansion team roster. It's largely made up of a few good draft picks, lots of guys who were cut by other teams, and old guys playing out their last year or two of their career after being successful elsewhere. That's largely how expansion teams start out, and that's where the Redskins are now. The talent just isn't there to play at a high level on a consistent basis.

If they get a "name" head coach, he'll want control or significant input into the roster-building process. Priority one is QB (it's not Keenum or McCoy in all likelihood and who knows about Haskins) then o-line, then talent around the kid. A quality running back. A good tight end. A few good young receivers and maybe a good vet to guide them. 

If I was the Redskins' GM, I'd be looking at having a fire sale before the trade deadline. Unload older veteran players who are unlikely to be around in a few years when the team is good again. If someone wants Ryan Kerrigan, Josh Norman, Jordan Reed, Trent Williams, insert name of player here, and they're willing to give up a draft pick, any draft pick, to get them? Let them go. There might be only five or six guys on this current roster that I'd consider untouchable, and untouchable might be too strong a word for it. I'm not sure there isn't anyone I'd be willing to sell if the price was right. Offer me a first-round pick and a mid-tier pick for pretty much anyone on the roster and I might shift them.

The Redskins need a rebuild. They're pretty much starting from scratch at this point. Their current roster is an expansion team type roster, not a playoff team type roster. The trade deadline is at the end of the month. I'd make significant roster changes between now and then. Jordan Reed would be a guy I'd dangle in front of the Patriots to see what they'd offer. He's an exceptional tight end when healthy and the Pats need a tight end. Get what you can get and move on. Stockpile draft picks and build cap space to rebuild the roster.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw  @gardenman 

On my Redskins, there's blame to pass all around.....

They should have fired DC Manusky after last season....

Players said Gruden ran a loose ship...and that explains some of the lack of discipline on the field.....

BUT Bruce Allen helped A LOT...he failed to re-sign some good free agent players and brought in free agents that were busts...He drove up Cousins price which was really unnecessary....He just doesnt know how to run a front office or negotiate contracts....And I think he made a mistake in picking Haskins....a guy that has real RAW talent and needs a lot of work......There's such a lack of talent at so many positions--WR for one, O line, LB, secondary etc etc....Bruce is having a press conference at 1PM today...and fans were posting that they hoped he's announcing his resignation.....one can only hope---but highly unlikely!!!  

And what about the above normal amount of injuries......

And I think Dan Snyder is being a bit unrealistic as he looks around the NFL and seeing backup and rookie QBs performing well and thinks the Redskins should be doing the same..Haskins hasn't developed yet, and then there's the lack of talent and many holes on this roster ...putting Haskins in and a new HC isnt gonna do it....

Its not just Gruden.....Snyder can fire yet another coach, but thats not going to turn things around....Maybe other teams turned things around quickly, but not the Redskins.  You need a GM and Coach working together to build a team and select the right players. You'd think Snyder would get it by now, how did this guy become a billionaire...blows my mind.......Woman Sad  And he's always wasted a heck of a lot of his money with bad decisions regarding this team....

Even the Redskin's previous owners son, John, commented on how Snyder destroyed the team that his father and Joe Gibbs had built.....

BTW I wonder if Jay's brother, Jon, would hire him.....LOL!!!  

@gardenman  I agree with what your saying about my Redskins...EXCEPT.....NO, they cant rid of "my" Ryan Kerrigan.... Smiley Wink

I think Dan Quinn will be the next to go....Falcons owner Arthur Blank was hoping for a Super Bowl....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Long ago the Redskins might have had a short time of success back when Mary Schottenheimer was the coach...he had them headed in the right direction....but he and Snyder clashed heads and that wasn't going to sit well with Danny boy...even though what Marty said was best for the team....and how did that work out....

The only enjoyable thing about the Pats/Redskins game was the fact no Charles Davis as the announcer it was Greg Gumble and former Redskin QB, Trent Green....he told some stories and was singing the praises of Norv Turner as Redskin coach......Ahhh Trent, what could've been, my thinking was to ditch Heath Shuler and Gus Ferotte and go with Trent (Trent looked the best out of all the prospective Redskin QBS)....wonder what would have happened to the team....hmmmm.....they should have listened to ME!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

Only saw the 2nd half of the game last night - had to finish watching hockey.

Good game.  I was starting to wonder if the camera person had a thing for Mahomes -

camera went to him so many times on the sideline, and CLOSE UPS.  Which was fine with me, he is a cutie.  Wonder about his ankle, and hope the Turay injury isn't serious.

I didn't watch the Cowboy game - I've seen this story many times before, repeats are getting old.  Another game to shake off.  Shake Shake Shake - I may just finally get rid of

these extra 5-7 pounds I've been trying to lose. I only need the Red Clapper to be fired so I can add in the happy dance.

Hope the Browns have a good game tonight. I have family in Cleveland so I usually

root for them.

Congrats winners.  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, Dan Quinn is on very thin ice. They fired the coordinators last year and kept Quinn, but it hasn't helped. They have a lot of talent, but the talent isn't playing well and hasn't played well since their Super Bowl year. Dan Quinn personally took control of the defense this week and they gave up 53 points to Houston. Not a good omen for him. Arthur Blank has to be figuring out the problem isn't the coordinators, it's their boss.

Sorry about Kerrigan, but he is 31 and on the downhill side of his career. If you're the GM you have to put favoritism aside and do what's best for the team. If you could get some decent compensation for him, it might be time to move him. If nothing else, it would be better for him to go someplace where he'd have a chance to win. The Redskins might end up 3-13 or 2-14 this year, and probably not much better next year. He could play for a Super Bowl contender for the last few years of his career which would be much better for him.

The Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Falcons and Giants games might be winnable for the Redskins, but they may not be the most talented of any of those teams. Given how things have gone, I'd say 2-14 or 3-13 are realistic record possibilities for the Redskins. If Kerrigan ended up in say Seattle, he'd have a much better chance to reach the Super Bowl than he does with the Redskins.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@yellowrose wrote:

Only saw the 2nd half of the game last night - had to finish watching hockey.

Good game.  I was starting to wonder if the camera person had a thing for Mahomes -

camera went to him so many times on the sideline, and CLOSE UPS.  Which was fine with me, he is a cutie.  Wonder about his ankle, and hope the Turay injury isn't serious.

I didn't watch the Cowboy game - I've seen this story many times before, repeats are getting old.  Another game to shake off.  Shake Shake Shake - I may just finally get rid of

these extra 5-7 pounds I've been trying to lose. I only need the Red Clapper to be fired so I can add in the happy dance.

Hope the Browns have a good game tonight. I have family in Cleveland so I usually

root for them.

Congrats winners.  Smiley Happy

@yellowrose 

But YELLOWROSE....I want "the clapper" to remain where he is ....(BTW hope you didnt miss Jason  dramatically throwing the challenge flag and swearing at the ref...and getting a 15 yd penalty for his efforts...LOL).

That darn Stephen Jones keeps getting in Jerry's way and keeps the Cowboys on sort of the right track...Gee if it werent for Stephen Jones the Cowboys would have drafted Johnny Manziel...at least the Cowboys are a competitive team and in the mix for the playoffs--well kinda/sorta...But cant say the same about my Redskin team.....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

Yeah, Dan Quinn is on very thin ice. They fired the coordinators last year and kept Quinn, but it hasn't helped. They have a lot of talent, but the talent isn't playing well and hasn't played well since their Super Bowl year. Dan Quinn personally took control of the defense this week and they gave up 53 points to Houston. Not a good omen for him. Arthur Blank has to be figuring out the problem isn't the coordinators, it's their boss.

Sorry about Kerrigan, but he is 31 and on the downhill side of his career. If you're the GM you have to put favoritism aside and do what's best for the team. If you could get some decent compensation for him, it might be time to move him. If nothing else, it would be better for him to go someplace where he'd have a chance to win. The Redskins might end up 3-13 or 2-14 this year, and probably not much better next year. He could play for a Super Bowl contender for the last few years of his career which would be much better for him.

The Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, Falcons and Giants games might be winnable for the Redskins, but they may not be the most talented of any of those teams. Given how things have gone, I'd say 2-14 or 3-13 are realistic record possibilities for the Redskins. If Kerrigan ended up in say Seattle, he'd have a much better chance to reach the Super Bowl than he does with the Redskins.

@gardenman 

Gee, leave me ONE REDSKINS player to cheer for......

There's no longer any pressure when I watch games, who cares if the Redskins lose....going for that high draft pick....Woman Very Happy  Just wish someone will be doing the picking....Woman Sad

Trusted Contributor

@Spurt  No I didn't see Garrett's acting eposide, but I read about it.

Esteemed Contributor

Kemoko Turay is out for the season with a broken ankle. He might have to have surgery. It looked bad, but I was hoping the results were different. 

I noticed that the camera spent a lot of time on Mahomes. Maybe they wanted to see his reaction to the way the game progressed. He's not used to playing from behind and being pressured. Or the camera person just likes Mahomes. 

LOL about "the red clapper." That is a good description of Garrett.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain