Honored Contributor

Week Five of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

We start out this week with a big matchup with the Rams going to Seattle. The Rams found a way to lose to the Bucs last week and let Tampa, yes Tampa, score 55 points against them. How the heck did that happen? Tampa had only scored 62 points in their first three games combined and they put up 55 on the Rams, in LA? You can bet whatever holes Tampa found in that Ram defense, Seattle is looking to exploit those same holes. If Jameis Winston could put up 55 points, Russell Wilson could put up 155. I'm taking Seattle.

The Ravens go to the Steelers. The Ravens should win this one. The Steelers kind of snuck up on the Bengals with their wildcat formation, but the Ravens will be ready for it this week. I'm taking the Ravens.

The Bears go to the Raiders. The Bears are favored and you could argue that Chase Daniel is better than Mitchell Trubisky at this point, but I kind of like the Raiders in this one. I'm taking the underdog Raiders.

The Falcons go to the Texans. I think Atlanta is likely a team looking to make a change at head coach in the not too distant future. They flushed the coordinators last year if I recall correctly, and their problems persist. I'm taking the Texans in this one.

The winless Jets come to Philly off a bye week. (Why do we always get teams coming off a bye week?) The Eagles are big favorites in this game which always makes me nervous. I'm taking the Eagles to win, but I don't expect a romp. I'm hoping I'm wrong and it's an easy game, but we never seem to get those. Go Eagles!

The Patriots get something of a bye playing the Redskins. Quarterback roulette hasn't worked out so well for DC. Given the injuries to McCoy and Keenum, they may have to keep starting Haskins. Hopefully they give the kid some serious reps in practice this week, but starting against the Patriots is kind of cruel and unusual punishment for a kid QB. I expect the Patriots to win big. The Redskins could try some different stuff with the kid that the Patriots haven't seen on film, which would be smart, but Gruden's not one to adapt his system for the players and instead expects the players to adapt to his system. I'm taking the Patriots.

The Jaguars go to the Panthers in a battle of the backup QBs. There's something about Minshew that makes me think he finds a way to eke out the win this week. I'm taking the Jags.

The Bucs are at the Saints. Can the Bucs put up 55 points on the Saints like they did against the Rams last week? Probably not. I've got to think the Saints win this one, but it could be a pretty good game.

The Vikings are at the Giants. There's some dissension in Viking land these days. They've got some of the best receivers in football and a head coach who insists they should only run the ball. This is kind of a passing league these days. The Giants defense is pretty solid against the run. The Vikings are favored, but I'm going with the Giants in this one. It should be a pretty close game though.

The Cardinals are at the Bengals in a battle for a higher draft spot. The Cards are already handicapped by foolishly allowing themselves to be in a tied game. Neither team has a win just yet and I'm not sure the Bengals want to win a game. I guess I'll take the Cards.

The Bills are at the Titans. Two hot and cold QB's in this one. Josh Allen of the Bills can look amazing or horrible and the same is pretty much true of Mariota. I guess I'll take Tennessee.

The Broncos are at the Chargers. Given the Broncos 0-4 start, it's getting close to fire sale time for the Broncos. Their chances of making the playoffs after an 0-4 start are pretty much zero. Their immediate future prospects (next couple of years) don't look a lot better. Time to unload a guy like a Von Miller for a first-round pick to help the rebuild? I'm taking the Chargers to get the Broncos off to an 0-5 start and help Elway with his decision-making process.

The Packers are at the Cowboys. Aaron Rodgers was vintage Aaron Rodgers last week. His head coach's playcalling was abysmal, but Rodgers was at the top of his game. The Cowboys will be without Tyron Smith at left tackle and that's never a good thing for them. I'm assuming Aaron Rodgers keeps performing at a high level and I'm taking the Packers in this one.

The Colts are at the Chiefs and it's never a good thing playing at Arrowhead on a nationally televised game. I like the Colts, but I just don't see a way they can win this game. This might be one of those measuring stick games for the Colts where they'll know if they make it to the playoffs, they'll likely have to face the Chiefs again, so use this game to gather intel, probe the Chiefs for their strengths and weaknesses and file it away for the future. I've got the Chiefs winning this one.

And finally this week, we have the Browns at the Niners. This should be a fun game to watch. The Niners are favored but OBJ tends to save his best stuff for the nationally televised games, and assuming no one chokes him to death between now and then, I think he'll have a big game. I'm going for the upset and taking the Browns on the road.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Five of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!!

I have a bad feeling about this game. The Colts often don't play well in primetime, and Arrowhead will be challenge. The defense will have to step up and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible. He can find ways to score without throwing touchdowns. 

Brissett can make big plays, but the receivers have to catch the ball. (looking at Ebron, who dropped three easy passes; did he think he was back in Detroit?)  I have to get up early for work Sunday, so I might not be able to stay up for the whole game, anyway.

There is trouble in Minnesota. Thielen has called out Cousins, saying "You have to make plays." This isn't the first time Thielen has expressed his frustration.

Bill Belichick is prepared for whoever (whomever?) Washington starts at QB. He praised Washington saying that the team has a "well balanced offense" and that Gruden does a good job of game planning. Maybe some fans would question those comments. 

I don't know if Josh Allen will start for the Bills; maybe it will be Matt Barkley. One never knows how Mariota will perform. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

The Vikings are an interesting team to watch. Cousins has just one year left on his big deal, which doesn't look so big right now. Their head coach only wants to run the ball, despite them having some of the best receivers in the game in Diggs and Thielen. It's very much a throwing league these days instead of a passing league. The Bears and Packers still look dominant and the Lions have some life. The Vikings could very well end up on the bottom in the NFC North and that's not a good place for them to be.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I have a bad feeling about this game. The Colts often don't play well in primetime, and Arrowhead will be challenge. The defense will have to step up and keep Mahomes off the field as much as possible. He can find ways to score without throwing touchdowns. 

Brissett can make big plays, but the receivers have to catch the ball. (looking at Ebron, who dropped three easy passes; did he think he was back in Detroit?)  I have to get up early for work Sunday, so I might not be able to stay up for the whole game, anyway.

There is trouble in Minnesota. Thielen has called out Cousins, saying "You have to make plays." This isn't the first time Thielen has expressed his frustration.

Bill Belichick is prepared for whoever (whomever?) Washington starts at QB. He praised Washington saying that the team has a "well balanced offense" and that Gruden does a good job of game planning. Maybe some fans would question those comments. 

I don't know if Josh Allen will start for the Bills; maybe it will be Matt Barkley. One never knows how Mariota will perform. 

@teganslaw 

Good Luck to your Colts!  

SMH--.I dont know how Bill Belichick could have said that about the Redskins with a straight face...-did anyone see that Press Conference??? He had to have a smile or smerk on his face as he said what he did.....Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  @teganslaw @redwingsgal 

Well I got only 8 right on last week's picks, lets see if I can do better....and Im NOT listening to my feline friends.... Cat Frustrated Cat Wink

Rams VS Seahawks---The Rams didnt look very good....Gurley doesnt seem himself...and Goff seems to be losing confidence....I'm going with Russell Wilson and THE SEAHAWKS at home! 

Ravens VS Steelers---The Steelers wildcat plays won't work against John Harbaugh and a better team...THE RAVENS!!! 

Bears VS Raiders---Mack has said that he's been waiting for this one....wanting some revenge against his old team, the problem is the Bears QBs, Trub and Chase, are struggling to score.......Even with Burficts suspension I'm still going with the DA RAIDERS! 

Falcons VS Texans---The Falcons are an inconsistent team ...and are underachievers on offense.  The Texans have lost some heartbreakers.....Im going with Watson on offense and JJ Watt on defense and taking the TEXANS for the Win!

Jets VS Eagles---DeSean was kept out of practice for the Eagles, and they are banged up at bit.  But until the Jets get their starting QB back I'm going with their opponents, so I'm taking the EAGLES!!

Patriots VS Redskins---My Redskins are done, and are in no shape to take on the Super Bowl Champs.  The Redskins should call the NFL and ask to forfeit the game.....PATRIOTS BIG!!!   I'm looking forward to 2020 and that high draft pick......Hmmm...wonder who our coach will be.....🤔

Jaguars VS Panthers --- (The Feline Bowl Cat Very Happy )....Two backup QBs battling for a victory!!!  I like Minshew he seems to have a little "Favre" in him....taking the JAGUARS!!!  (even without Ramsey).....

Bucs VS Saints--- The Bucs SHOCKED the Rams...Even with a backup QB I think Sean Payton will be more prepared and won't let the Bucs get a second upset ..I'm taking the SAINTS at home with those wild and crazy fans.....

Vikings VS The Giants--- The Vikings are a mess right now...  The team's best WR is at odds with his QB, Capt Kirk tried to smooth things over with an apology...but a win would be more welcomed.....I think the Vikings have buyer's remorse.....The Head Coach has lost his confidence in the passing game so much that he's now gone with a game plan emphasizing the run...The Giants don't have their RB Barkley, but they are feeling confident in the hands of Rookie Daniel Jones....he's even sparked the defense to play better....I'm going with the upset and the GIANTS for the win!!! (my sis will be happy!, sorry Capt Kirk)....

Cardinals VS Bengals---The Bengals looked awful against a Steeler team with a backup QB, they couldn't get anything going offensively and defensively.....The Cards are struggling but I think they are the better team, and future Hall Of Famer, WR Larry Fitzgerald, is gunning for Jerry Rice's  record.......CARDINALS for the WIN!

Bills VS Titans---The Titans need to bet on Mr. Inconsistent himself, Mariota.  And the Bills have their own problems with Allen in concussion protocol.....If Allen was ready to go I'd take the Bills who almost pulled off the upset against the Pats....but with the possibility of Allen being out....I guess I'll take a chance on the TITANS!

Broncos VS Chargers--- Just when it looked like the Broncos would get their first win of the season, victory turned into defeat....Maybe the team is just adjusting to a new head coach and is the reason for early struggles.....  The Chargers are a bit banged up but they have Philip Rivers at QB----CHARGERS!!! 

Cowboys VS Packers--- The Cowboys FINALLY played against some decent competition and showed their weaknesses....Zeke was ineffective, and putting the offense in the hands of Dak, didnt seem to work which was a question all along. ....The Packers D also came down to earth a bit in their last game BUT they have AARON RODGERS....and I'll take AARON and the PACKERS against Dak any day!!! GO PACK GO!!! Woman Very Happy

Colts VS Chiefs--- The Lions put up a MIGHTY ROAR against Mahomes and the Chiefs, if it werent for a couple mistakes the Lions had the victory!!! So the Chiefs are vunerable.... The Colts are a talented and well coached team, they are dealing with some key injuries.  Arrowhead is a tough place to play.....the Chiefs were given a wakeup call and want to take care of business at home.....If the Colts were healthy this could go either way......but given the circumstances taking the CHIEFS at home....

Browns VS 49ers----  Well, well, well....the Browns rebounded from their loss and came to life and showed the team many thought they were!!!  With a healthy Jimmy G the 49ers are dangerous.....Should be an interesting game...but here's an interesting stat that was shared, their coach hasn't won a game coming off a bye week, which is the case here....I'm going with my heart an those FIESTY BROWNS for the WIN! 

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! 🏈 🏈 🏈

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

aaahhh @teganslaw   beware of those "bad feelings"   I can't even

watch a game live when I have those feelings.

It's still early in the week, but right now I'm not having any bad feelings about

the Packer game.  However, I was planning on making Split GREEN Pea soup

on Sunday.  I may need to rethink that.

Honored Contributor

LOL i hope all of you picking the RAVENS are not giving us the JINX again......it happened last week! Smiley Wink

this is a must win for us, especially being a division game. we cannot afford to let the steelers win. we will also be needing a browns LOSS.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@yellowrose wrote:

aaahhh @teganslaw   beware of those "bad feelings"   I can't even

watch a game live when I have those feelings.

It's still early in the week, but right now I'm not having any bad feelings about

the Packer game.  However, I was planning on making Split GREEN Pea soup

on Sunday.  I may need to rethink that.

@yellowrose 

YELLOWROSE maybe you had a premonition that the Packers would SPLIT the uprights with all their PATS Smiley Wink 

Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

LOL i hope all of you picking the RAVENS are not giving us the JINX again......it happened last week! Smiley Wink

this is a must win for us, especially being a division game. we cannot afford to let the steelers win. we will also be needing a browns LOSS.

@sunshine45 

I think you put your finger on the reason the Ravens lost...... 😲

Respected Contributor

Rams over Seahawks - This will be a good game

Ravens over Steelers - Just a better overall team

Raiders over Bears - I hope

Texans over Falcons - Falcons are falling apart (even tho I like them)

Jets over Eagles - I need LaVeon to do well for my FF

Patriots over Redskins - Sorry, @Spurt , but this could be a blowout

Jags over Panthers - I like Minshew also

Saints over Bucs - Winston is not the answer

Giants over Vikings - Again, I hope so

Cardinals over Bengals - I am fearing Andy is not the Andy we know any more

Titans over Bills - Agree, @Spurt 

Chargers over Broncos - Phillip is the difference

Cowboys over Packers - As much as I hate JJ, I need this!!!

Chiefs over Colts- Big win

Browns over 49ers - The Browns are hot!!

Good Luck to everyone's teams, I am on a bye so I will enjoy the games!!!

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it