Honored Contributor

Re: Week Eighteen (maybe) of the NFL 2022/23 regular season!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw@gardenman

Yep when my team has a coach that isnt even aware of playoff possibilities or not, thats not a good thing if the team was even able to be in the playoffs....certainly highlights a team thats clueless and unprepared ☹🤔
I think with that revelation Rivera cooked his own goose no matter who the owner is

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

If I was the head coach of the Eagles, I'd activate all three QBs and start Minshew. If he got injured early, replace him with Ian Book. As long as the Eagles were tied or ahead, I'd keep Hurts benched. At least for the first half. If you need Hurts to win the game, slide him in. By doing this you keep Hurts healthy, buy him more recovery time, and still could/should win. It's the best of both worlds. Get Hurts as healthy as possible for the playoffs, still get the win, and clinch the bye. You know every opponent will target Hurts' shoulder, so keep him safe if possible, but have him in reserve if need be.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

I think at this point of the season a lot of head coaches are just over the whole thing. They've known since the OTAs they don't have the players to win with. They're tired of watching other teams get better through trades and acquisitions while their GM leaves them handcuffed. They're tired of the endless media questions. They're tired of dealing with players with more ego than talent.  They've been pounding their heads against a brick wall for nine months or so and they just want it to end. Rivera, Kingsbury, McVay, and others seem to be in that mindset about now. "For the love of God, can we just end this nightmare?" 

A lot of guys (and gals) want to be a head coach, but soon find out just how challenging the job can be. If you've got a bad team, but some good kids to build around. A rising star at QB. A solid o and d line. And just need a piece or two, you're ready to get back to work on Monday. The coaches with no QB, no rising star, no real hope for instant improvement, an ineffective GM, a meddling owner, well, the season can't end soon enough for them and they dread the nightmare waiting for them next year.  Being trapped in a no-win situation is not fun for a coach.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@gardenman your pick on the Saints & Panthers game please.

@AuntG 

I take the PANTHERS too

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt 

I think at this point of the season a lot of head coaches are just over the whole thing. They've known since the OTAs they don't have the players to win with. They're tired of watching other teams get better through trades and acquisitions while their GM leaves them handcuffed. They're tired of the endless media questions. They're tired of dealing with players with more ego than talent.  They've been pounding their heads against a brick wall for nine months or so and they just want it to end. Rivera, Kingsbury, McVay, and others seem to be in that mindset about now. "For the love of God, can we just end this nightmare?" 

A lot of guys (and gals) want to be a head coach, but soon find out just how challenging the job can be. If you've got a bad team, but some good kids to build around. A rising star at QB. A solid o and d line. And just need a piece or two, you're ready to get back to work on Monday. The coaches with no QB, no rising star, no real hope for instant improvement, an ineffective GM, a meddling owner, well, the season can't end soon enough for them and they dread the nightmare waiting for them next year.  Being trapped in a no-win situation is not fun for a coach.

@gardenman @teganslaw 9

What you say is very accurate and so true.....BUT then there are coaches that are intelligent, have common sense and can make adjustments to their playbook to match the talent, (INSTEAD OF FORCING the players to match their schemes even if they don't fit----like putting a square peg in a round hole), and some coaches can also inspire and make players even play beyond their abilities-----

Some say Joe Gibb's second stint with the Redskins 2004 to 2007 was more impressive than his 3 Super Bowl Championships...His second time around his QBs were an over the hill Mark Brunell and Todd Collins filling in for the injured Jason Campbel. And going into 2007 the Redskin's rushing/passing defense ranked 27th.....Also his best player was murdered ...(Belichick even ran up the score on Gibbs, 52 to 7----some said it was Belichick's ego to say he beat a HOF coach----in reality it was the total lack of talenton the Redskin's part)....Gibbs took the team from 5-7, won the last 4 games and made the playoffs as a wildcard AND IT'S AN EVEN MORE OF AN AMAZING FEAT CONSIDERING MEDDLING DESTRUCTIVE SNYDER WAS THE OWNER!!!!.....Despite Snyder, the team had laid it all on the line for Gibbs and to honor Sean Taylor....that's why Joe is in the Hall Of Fame....a true leader of men....in the football arena and in real life....He's been successful in not only the NFL but also in NASCAR....once again his leadership shines --

But today is a coach's success due to their GM's FA signings and draft picks particularly at the QB,  O-line and D-line positions, and perhaps an owner keeping his hands off, and giving time for the coach and team to grow and gel together .....????  Or the NFL version of what came first ---- " the chicken or the egg".....in football's recent history people are asking---"Was it Bill Belichick OR Tom Brady who gave the Patriot's their dynasty".......????  Which of the current coaches can take their team to the next level??? Perhaps Pederson, Daboll, Campbell, McDermott, Zach Taylor, Mike McDaniel....or the steady veterans---Reid, Harbaugh, Tomlin, Carroll....Anyway questions to ponder as we wait for the next game and during the offseason...🤔

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

The right coach can do a lot, but he can't perform miracles. Belichick without Brady has looked a lot less impressive. Sean Payton has a checklist of things his new team needs, and at the top of that checklist is a good young QB. He's seen what coaching without a Drew Brees is like and doesn't want to be there again.

The right GM  helps a lot also. When NT Jordan Davis went down, Howie Roseman brought in Linval Joseph and Suh to fill in and stabilize things. Had he left the roster as it was, things would look a lot different.

Football is the ultimate team sport requiring a good owner, coaching staff, GM, and personnel staff. But, you also need special individuals like a QB with special talents. Receivers like an AJ Brown or Devonte Smith. It takes a lot of pieces all working to a common goal to be successful.

A guy like Andy Reid somehow always has a good QB. Is it luck? Is it coaching? How does he do it? When guys leave Reid they tend to flop, so maybe it is him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

As you know Derek Carr and the Raiders came to a mutual agreement for Carr to step away from the team so he wouldn't be a distraction.  Somehow I hope Carr took a peek at the Chiefs vs Raiders game and went away with a smile....

McDaniels is the reason for the Raiders poor season this year, not Carr....Shoot id take Carr in a minute for my Washington team...and also find some decent o-line men...we got some pretty good weapons if the offensive plans were decent with a new OC running the show 

Honored Contributor

Andy and the Chiefs just toyed with the Raiders in this one. That snowglobe formation with the offense spinning in circles was kind of disrespectful. Fun, but disrespectful.

The free agent QBs in 2023 could be a pretty impressive pool to pick from. Derek Carr will likely join the pool along with Matt Ryan. There's no "OMG! We're winning the Super Bowl if we sign him!" guy. (Other than Lamar Jackson who probably won't reach free agency.) But there are guys who are top fifteen to twenty talent. And on a solid team, that can be all you need.

The Broncos are first in line to talk to Sean Payton. Kind of makes sense. An under-sized, scrambling type QB. (Brees versus Russell Wilson.) Would Payton trust Wilson enough to tie their futures together? Eh, maybe. I'm not sure the Broncos have enough resources to pay the price the Saints want to release Payton. Still, it's a start.

Jim Harbaugh seems destined for Indy for now. If not him then Shane Steichen (Eagles OC) could be the guy. With Irsay you never know. He could give the job to his landscaper. 

The Commanders are likely in limbo until the ownership issue gets resolved. That's not great. The field of prospects and top coordinators could be picked over before they actively join the hunt. Grab a college guy?

The Panthers may just stick with Wilkes. The Texans need stability. Three head coaches in three years is not good.

It's going to be a crazy offseason.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Game day two of the week! Kudos to the Jags for winning the AFC South. Get used to that also. They're on the upswing and the rest of the AFC South is either declining or holding steady. Not a great game from Trevor Lawrence, but the Jags defense came through for them. Trevor needs a good offseason with a QB guru like Tom House to refine things and then look out! The kid has the talent, he just needs refinement.

The Eagles take on whoever the Giants throw on the field today. It sounds like the Giants are holding back their big guns to save them for the playoffs. That's a good strategy for them. Get them rested and healthy for a game that matters more. The Eagles want that first-round bye though, so they'll be playing their starters more. I'm not expecting this to be an especially pretty game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Early games: Texans at Colts- known as the draft order game-(CBS); Vikings at Bears (FOX)

Later: Giants at Eagles (CBS); Cowboys at Commanders (FOX) 

Night: Packers at Lions. I want the Lions to win, even if Seattle hurts their chances. The Lions would want to knock the Packers out of contention. (If we can't be in the playoffs, neither can you.) 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain