Respected Contributor

Re: Week Eighteen (maybe) of the NFL 2022/23 regular season!!!

The NFL announced today that the remainder of the Bengals/Bills game will not be played and team owners will meet on Friday to reach agreement on the following AFC scenarios:

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 8.01.01 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

The NFL announced today that the remainder of the Bengals/Bills game will not be played and team owners will meet on Friday to reach agreement on the following AFC scenarios:

Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 8.01.01 PM.png

The "neutral site" part gets interesting. I would assume LA or Dallas, maybe Tampa as the neutral sites. Maybe a northern dome like Minnesota?  Weather around then gets "interesting" in outdoor stadiums. Maybe Las Vegas? It couldn't be a stadium where playoff action was also taking place. Buffalo and KC both have big home-field advantages when playing at home, so it hurts both a bit to give that up.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

The Eagles should win easily because the Giants will rest many of their starters. They are locked into 6th seed and have nothing to play for. 

Jim Harbaugh said that he will coach in Michigan 2023. He is being investigated by the NCAA for allegedly recruiting and providing misinformation during the NCAA mandated "dead period".  The Woverines may have had defensive analysts on the field during games, against college rules. 

Right now it's up in the air whether Harbaugh will coach in the NFL.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@gardenman @teganslaw

The neutral sites the GMFB Reporters mentioned were Atlanta and Indy
Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not a good sign too many Washington starters on IR

https://twitter.com/Wash_PR/status/1611094513279188992/photo/1

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman your pick on the Saints & Panthers game please.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@gardenman your pick on the Saints & Panthers game please.

Oops! Missed it! I'll take the Panthers. They've been playing well under their interim head coach.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

It's game day one of the weekend! We get Chiefs/Raiders at 4:30 PM ET and the the Titans/Jags at 8:15 PM ET. I would expect the Chiefs to blow out the Raiders and the Jags should handle the Titans who have been in freefall since midseason. The Titans have lost six in a row while the Jags are on a four game winning streak.

The Jaguars could be scary in the playoffs, but their lack of playoff experience will likely find them gone before too long. They have a talented roster, but the playoffs are different. Playoff experience counts for a lot.

Lots of chatter that Kliff Kingsbury will be out as the head coach in Arizona. Possibly a mutual decision as he's reportedly wanting out. Sean McVay is reportedly feeling burned out now also and could head for the broadcast booth. The Broncos, Texans, and Commanders all seem likely to make a change also. 

The Monday after the regular season is known as "Black Monday" among the coaching community as that's often when coaches get fired. In recent years we've seen coaches fired right after their Sunday games and others fired later in the week after meeting with the team owner and GM, so Black Monday has lost a bit of it's former intensity, but there won't be a lot of comfortable coaches around the league for a few days/weeks.

Even playoff coaches can't relax too much. Jerry Jones nearly fired Mike McCarthy after making the playoffs last year. Another one and out and McCarthy could be gone. Dan Quinn, the Cowboys defensive coordinator is said to be a top prospect for several teams and JJ wants to keep him, so he could sacrifice McCarthy to keep Quinn and elevate Quinn to head coach.

The NFL  season never truly ends. The teams that miss the playoffs will spend Monday signing guys to future deals and building next year's roster. Promising players will be snatched up and plans for free agency and the draft will be taking shape. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Spurt, you could look at this way : maybe it's for the best that Washington didn't make the playoffs. It would be difficult going in with so many injured players. They would be at a considerable disadvantage. This way there is no pressure and everyone can get time to heal. 

Gardenman, Jalen Hurts is questionable. Do you think he'll play? The Eagles need a win for the division and #1 seed. If they lost and Dallas won, Dallas could be #1 depending on how 49ers do. I don't think they want the Cowboys in first. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

2ndRe: Week Eighteen (maybe) of the NFL 2022/23 regular season!!!

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw@gardenman

Wow Indy declined to be a possible neutral site for the Afc Championship Game