Honored Contributor

Re: Week Eight of the NFL Regular Season

@yellowBeetle wrote:

I admit I am still stunned by the Garoppolo trade to SF!!! I really thought that Kyle Shanahan wanted Kirk Cousins! I heard this morning that Shanahan has been a big fan of Garoppolo since his college days! Who knew?? (I guess Belichick knew!!Woman Wink)

So do you think Dan Snyder and Jay Gruden will try and keep Captain Kirk? The soap opera continues......

The Redskins will try to keep him, but at what price? There will be a market for Cousins that will drive his price up. The Cards, Giants, Jets, Jags, Browns, and more will all be in the market for a QB and maybe the Broncos also. Cousins is a proven commodity. The Redskins didn't surround Cousins with talent this year. He may be looking to move to a new team with more weapons.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

And, as expected, Ezekiel Elliott's suspension is on once again, at least until they appeal it once more, or find a new court to stall the matter for another week or two. He would have been best served by serving the suspension starting week one and now he'd be back, but instead this has dragged on forever. For Elliott, trying to get the whole thing wiped out makes sense as he'd be one more domestic violence incident from getting a lifetime suspension, but it's nearly impossible to get it wiped out. Expect a new appeal or court filing later this week to try and keep him on the field a bit longer. He's starting to run out of options however.

The Jimmy Garoppolo trade was a bit of a surprise. The Patriots would have likely gotten a late third round compensatory pick if they'd kept him on the roster and let him leave via free agency, but instead they traded him now for a high second round pick. They have no other quarterback on their roster however, not even on their practice squad. They really need Brady to stay healthy for the next few weeks. If he goes down, they'll be in big trouble. Reportedly the trade with SF originally included Brian Hoyer, but Hoyer was removed due to compensatory pick reasons. Expect to see him sign with the Patriots in the near future. There are some reports that the Patriots will be trading that second round pick they just got to pick up a defensive lineman/linebacker sometime later today. They're also reportedly looking to add TY Hilton from the Colts. The Patriots have really spent a lot this year to make as good a team as possible. You almost get the impression they're looking at this as one last fling at the Super Bowl. I really wonder if they think that either Brady or Belichick will be leaving after this year and they're all in on winning this year? Apparently it's not Brady they think will be leaving or they'd have kept Garoppolo. The Patriots started out the year with three QB's and have now traded two and not replaced them leaving them with just one.

No trades by the Eagles just yet, but you keep hearing rumors that the Eagles will be making a move for a wide receiver, running back, offensive tackle, or linebacker. I'm guessing the Eagles are looking to replace or supplement Torrey Smith at wide receiver. Torrey Smith has largely disappeared the last few weeks and rookies Mack Hollins and Marcus Johnson have been taking some of his snaps. The names I keep hearing are Calvin Johnson and Anquan Boldin. Both are currently retired however. Larry Fitzgerald would be another possibility if the Cards were looking to give him a chance to be in the playoffs/Super Bowl one final time in his career. The Eagles tried to trade for him multiple times in the past and he's still playing at a high level. Sometimes a team will let a vet go when they know they can't compete to give the guy one final shot at winning. TY Hilton is another name that pops up along with Frank Gore. 

Expect a few more moves by the four o'clock deadline.

It'll be interesting to see how the Niners play out the rest of the year. Do they quickly prep Garoppolo and toss him on the field, or do they stash him away to keep him safe and healthy for next year? By getting Garoppolo they remove QB from their shopping list for the 2018 draft.  They can tag him this year if they can't sign him to a long term contract. They can then either trade that high first round pick for additional picks, or draft a guy like Saquon Barkley to help the offense. It's a very smart strategy to fill your big holes before the draft so you can draft the best available player. The Niners seem to be using that strategy.

This impacts Kirk Cousins a bit in taking his most likely suitor out of the running. Cousins won't lack for suitors however as the Jets, Browns, Giants, Jags, and Cards (and others) will all be looking for a new QB and competing with the Redskins for Cousins. It's likely the Niners opted for Garoppolo to avoid getting in the bidding war for Cousins.

@gardenman

It looks like Cousin's main suitor took themselves out of the running.....if Cousin's wants to leave---make a deal with the Browns and send him to QB Hades!!!!  😈

And how about your Eagles pickup up the Dolphin's talented problem child....it looks like it's ALL IN FOR THE SUPER BOWL or BUST giving up another draft pick...........The Eagles don't have a 2nd or 3rd round pick and now gave up one of their 4th rounds........It looks like the Eagles adopted former Redskin's coach, George Allen's philosophy: THE FUTURE IS NOW!!!

1Eagles' own pick 
 4*Requires extensive explanation (see below)
 4*Requires extensive explanation (see below)
 5Eagles' own pick 
 5(Acquired from Seahawks for Matt Tobin and the Eagles' seventh-round pick in 2018) 
 6Eagles' own pick 

. According to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network, the fourth round pick that will go to the Dolphins will be the second in order of those three picks, however it plays out.

To recap, the three fourth round picks the Eagles hold are:

1. Their own fourth round pick.
  2. The fourth round pick acquired from the Patriots for Eric Rowe. To note, that pick will become a third-round pick if Rowe plays in at least 50 percent of the Patriots' defensive snaps either in 2017. The Eagles will keep this pick if indeed it becomes a third round pick, which is unlikely.
  3. The fourth round pick acquired from the Vikings for Sam Bradford.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 wrote:

I'm really surprised they traded Jimmy G right now, the timing is very bad. What do they do now for a backup? 

I don't think Belichick is leaving, that would be bizarre timing too.

@Greeneyedlady21

From what Adam Schefter said on Mike & Mike it was pure economics they couldnt reach a deal with Jimmy G's  agent , so they got a second round pick which is a lot cheaper than a first rounder, but it will be a high 2nd round selection..which could be one of the young QBs to groom which they think is of the same talent as Jimmy  ....In the meantime they are gambling on Brady staying healthy.......Even with Hoyer grabbed as a backup--he's not a guy who you would put the shoulders of the team on if your team was in a come from behind scenario............Interesting gamble...........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

With Ajayi going to the Eagles, where does that leave Blount? Was he not getting many snaps during a game? Maybe Ajayi will get the majority of targets now and become the Eagles' main running back.

Ertz was also a  major factor in the games, I wonder if that will stay the same or will the arrival of Ajayi change that?

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

T Y Hilton to the Patriots? Just...no.I hope it doesn't happen. Hilton is in a funk right now (the whole team is), but to trade the top receiver on the Colts is bad. The back up WR, Rogers is on IR, and Moncrief, although talented, has had too many drops lately. Hilton had been Luck's go-to guy, and with Luck out, Hilton's productivity has gone down. But no need to trade him. 

What will the Patriots do with Brady comes down with an injury? Speculation is that they will sign Hoyer. 

SPURT, some people on the Colts forum are thinking that Cousins could end up in Jacksonville. That team is loaded with defensive players, but still needs a quarterback. If that happened, it would bring problems for the Colts in the AFC South. I guess we wait and see.

@teganslaw

Yep, people are throwing the Jags name around as a landing spot for Cousins....especially with Tom Coughlin in the front office and knowing Kirk a bit....BUT the Jags owner is pretty much of a cheap skate....I just dont see him paying the BIG BUCKS Kirk would demand.....they have $34 mill in cap space now and are in the negative for 2018.-1mill and some change..so I dont know how they'd make a deal unless they got rid of some of their good players.....

The Jets would be in a better position....but they arent much of a wheeling/dealing franchise either......thats why they have been irrelevant for so long...........

There's the Browns....that would be poetic justice....first RGIII goes to end his career, and if the Browns sign Cousins sure to be his demise with a poor O line and few weapons....they dont like to spend money either....  At least the Redskins rescued McCoy.....I bet he's counting his blessings........

Honored Contributor

no suspension for alonso on flacco hit. Smiley SurprisedSmiley Mad

quarterbacks beware.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

With Ajayi going to the Eagles, where does that leave Blount? Was he not getting many snaps during a game? Maybe Ajayi will get the majority of targets now and become the Eagles' main running back.

Ertz was also a  major factor in the games, I wonder if that will stay the same or will the arrival of Ajayi change that?

Blount will still get his carries, but guys like Smallwood, Barner and Clement will see the ball less. Eagle's running back coach Duce Staley is pretty good at managing the backs under him and keeping them all more or less happy. LeGarette Blount is older and only on a one year deal, so getting Ajayi is a good longer term option. Having two guys competing for carries isn't a bad thing either. If you want to scare defenses you put both of those guys in the backfield. Two big pounding backs on the field at the same time could wear down a defense pretty quickly.

I don't see this having any real impact on Ertz. He'll still be Wentz's prime target.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

An interesting wildcard for Cousins could be the Colts if the Andrew Luck shoulder issue lingers. The Colts have a lot of cap space next year and if Luck's shoulder doesn't improve, they'd need a QB. If Luck's shoulder then recovered later, they'd have two franchise QB's and could choose which to keep and reap a huge reward for trading the other one.

The Jets, Cards, Giants, Jags, and maybe the Saints could also get involved. Cousins can shop for both the best deal for himself, and also who will give him the best weapons.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45

I think that is a disgrace. It was a brutal hit on Flacco. I agree...quarterbacks, be on guard. The NFL did not send a good message here....

Honored Contributor

@yellowBeetle wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@sunshine45

I think that is a disgrace. It was a brutal hit on Flacco. I agree...quarterbacks, be on guard. The NFL did not send a good message here....

@yellowBeetle

i dont think they did either. you almost have to wonder that if this was one of the "golden boys" of the nfl would the response have been different? very disappointed......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein