Honored Contributor

Week Eight of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

[ Edited ]

We start out this week with a good Thursday night game as the Packers head off to Arizona. This has the feel of a shootout. The Packers are going in minus a few bullets with Davante Adams and Allen Lazard out due to Covid. I'll take the Cards in this one.

The Bengals get a bye this week, er rather they play the Jets this week. Same thing. I'll take the Bengals.

Tennessee goes to Indy in a big game for both teams. The Titans are 5-2 and in first while the Colts are 3-4 and in pursuit. A Colts win tightens up the race and makes the second half of the season a dog fight. A Titans win moves them three up with nine to play and gives them some breathing room. I'll take the Colts in the upset.

The Rams go to Houston to beat the Texans who may or may not have traded Watson by then. (The good news is for next week's picks we'll know what happens with Watson and can forget it the rest of the season.) The Rams will win this one easily.

Pittsburgh goes to Cleveland in what should be an entertaining game. These teams don't like one another. Neither is in especially great shape, but they'll throw whatever they have left on the field for this game. I'll give the slightest to the Browns in this one.

The Eagles go to Detroit and for the first time all season, the Eagles are favored in a game. Who knew that was possible? The local Eagles fanbase is ready to hang the coach, QB, defensive coordinator, and anyone associated with the team, but we did get two wins despite not ever being favored in a game. I'm cautiously optimistic that our defensive coordinator has figured out that putting the linebackers and safeties a hundred miles from the action is a bad idea and maybe he'll actually put them someplace where they can, oh I don't know, make a play? I'm taking the Eagles in this one.

The Niners go to the Bears. A Niners loss to the Bears might just have the Niner's owners rethinking the head coach's job security. The Niners are 3.5 point favorites in this game. I just don't know. My gut says the Bears win. My head says the Niners win. Which is right? I'll go with my gut and take the Bears. (Now watch them get blown out 42-7.)

The Panthers and Falcons fight it out to see which of the two is the worst in the NFC South. The Panthers are balanced having both scored and given up 146 points. The Falcons, not so much. They've scored just 135 and given up 176. I'll give the slightest edge to the Panthers in this one.

Miami goes to Buffalo in what should be a pretty easy win for Buffalo. I'll take the Bills.

The Patriots head west to take on the Chargers. The Chargers are favored and will probably win, but I like Mac Jones and the Patriots in this one for some reason. I'll take the Patriots.

Jacksonville goes to Seattle to let Geno Smith get a win. The Seahawks are pretty much cooked this year being 2-5. The Cards and Rams are so far ahead it's hard to imagine the Seahawks climbing back into the playoff picture. Jacksonville's just not good enough yet. I'll take Seattle in this one.

The WFT goes to Mile High Stadium to take on the Broncos. The Broncos are playing very well on defense. The WFT, well, not so much. I'll take the Broncos.

Tampa Bay goes to New Orleans. Tampa should win, but the Saints won't roll over and play dead. If Jameis Winston has one of his rare good days, this could stay pretty close, but knocking out Brady isn't the easiest thing in the world. I'll take the Bucs in this one. 

And we close out the week with the Cowboys taking on the Vikings. I'm not wildly optimistic about the Vikings' chances in this one. Their best hope is the Cowboys forget to wake up after their bye week. Dak Prescott was reportedly running sprints the other day, so his calf is okay. I'll take the Cowboys in this one.

Oops! I forgot the Giants/Chiefs on MNF. (Thanks for the heads up teganslaw!).I'll take the Chiefs in a romp. Andy Reid may be nearing the end of his shelf life with the Chiefs, but they're still better than the Giants.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Eight of the 2021 NFL Regular Season!!!

Gardenman, you forgot the Giants-Chiefs game on Monday night. What is your prediction for that one? 

The Chargers signed K Dustin Hopkins and waived Vizcaino. They must see something good in Hopkins. 

If the Colts lose to the Titans, they might as well give up thoughts of the division title. They already lost the first game to Tennessee, so even if both ended up with the same record, the Titans would take the division.  This is a huge game for the Colts, and they need to be firing on all cylinders. Derrick Henry can hardly be stopped, so they'll have to at least try keeping him out of the end zone and have Tennesse go for field goals. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Let's see what Week Eight of the NFL season holds:

PACKERS VS CARDINALS----The WFT beat themselves with a plethora of mistakes and you dont give Aaron Rodgers those kind of openings or you get your rear end kicked!!!--which the WFTdid! But the Packers now face a REAL challenge when they meet the undefeated Cardinals in the desert!  Kyle Murray, Hopkins, and JJ Watt are ready to greet the visitors.  I'm picking the RED HOT CARDINALS for another WIN

BENGALS VS JETS JETS JETS----Burrows and company will feast on that grounded plane---BENGALS will ROAR! 

TITANS VS COLTS---This game has important implications in the AFC standings for both teams and it should be a good game.....I'm thinking it will be difficult for the Colt defense to stop that "bulldozer" aka Derrick Henry and the TITANS will win in a close one....

RAMS VS TEXANS--- Maybe the Texans should put in a Texas High School team to take their place. RAMS all the way! 

STEELERS VS BROWNS--- This should be an interesting battle....with their new o-line Big Ben has struggled. On the other side, injuries to Mayfield  and other key players have caused the Browns to also struggle, its uncertain who will be the Browns QB--Case Keenum may again fill in for Mayfield, although the good news for the Browns is that Chubbs may be ready to return for this game ....This will be a toss up, and if Case Keenum is the Browns QB, I'm taking the STEELERS!

EAGLES VS LIONS---  The winless Lions could be tanking for that first round draft pick!!! Except for the Cowboys, the Eagles are tied with the rest of the NFC Least for 2nd place--- I'm taking the EAGLES in this one!

NINERS VS BEARS---Well the "brillance" of Kyle Shannahan is being questioned, and it seems he's using Jimmy G as his scapegoat! (but it could be the same "brilliance" that we saw when the Shannahans were coaching Washington and Kyle was the OC with another QB they didnt know what to do with----at that time the QB was RGIII) Both Shannahans were fired from Washington in 2013 .....Now the Bears have their own set of problems...they put their rookie, Justin Fields, at the helm and many analyst are urging the 49ers to put Trey Lance in charge....I dont think Jimmy G is all the 49ers problem.....This game is a coin flip and Ill take the BEARS at home! 

PANTHERS VS FALCONS---Just when you thought Sam Darnold had turned his performances around, he takes steps backwards.....But the Falcons arent all that, both teams are fighting to see who gets last place in the Division.....Ill go with the better QB, Matty Ice, and take the FALCONS for the WIN!

DOLPHINS VS BILLS---They say Dolphins Coach is under fire....and it looks like their front office may be trying to put out the fire by trying to land DeShaun Watson....which may or may not come to pass either this year or next....The BILLS will FEAST and get the win!!! The Bills mafia will be celebrating for sure! 

PATRIOTS VS CHARGERS---Herbert is the REAL DEAL BUT they faltered against the Ravens....With Belichick in charge of the Patriots ya never know what will happen....I have a feeling the PATRIOTS will get an unexpected win!

JAGUARS VS SEAHAWKS---JAGS WON, JAGS WON--but the taste of victory will be short lived as the Jags face the Seahawks in the great northwest---Geno Smith will finally get the SEAHAWKS A WIN!

WFT VS BRONCOS---  The WFT lost AGAIN, but their overall play did show a slight improvement on defense and offense....turnovers and stupid penalties need to STOP in order for them to have a chance.  The Broncos are no stalwart team having lost 4 in a row themselves. Bridgewater is playing hurt and it looks like the team has given up on Drew Lock....with Bridgewater not being very mobile it gives the WFT D a chance...It's Halloween and I think those things that go bump on a scary night will go the WFT's way as the WFT FINALLY GETS A WIN! (at least Im keeping my fingers crossed that they will)

BUCS VS SAINTS---Let's see Tom Terrific vs the inconsistent Winston...The Saints have been playing better, but I just cant pick against TOM leading the BUCS to another "W"!

COWBOYS VS VIKINGS---It's dejavu as Capt Kirk meets his old nemisis,---the Cowboys--- Will Cousins play "out of this world" like William Shatner in order to keep pace with the points that Dak will put on the scoreboard??? OR will yet another injury sideline Dak for this game?...Supposedly the Vikes D line is ferocious and can put the pressure on...then it will be up to Zeke and Pollard to do the running back thing....I think Dak will end up playing and the Vikings will be defeated much like the Klingons.....That symbol on the Cowboy's helmet is unfortunately always a lucky star......COWBOYS 😥😫

GIANTS VS CHIEFS---My oh my the mighty Chiefs dont resemble their former selves....their revised O-line has even sent Patrick Mahomes to concussion protocol....The Giants despite having "leaped" from last to second place in the NFC Least , which isnt much of a feat, are still not very good, and the CHIEFS should be able to regroup and beat the Giants!....What should be fun about this game is that the Manning brothers will be back with their witty commentating --and it will be entertaining to hear what former Giant QB, Eli, has to say about his old team....

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Gardenman, you forgot the Giants-Chiefs game on Monday night. What is your prediction for that one? 

The Chargers signed K Dustin Hopkins and waived Vizcaino. They must see something good in Hopkins. 

If the Colts lose to the Titans, they might as well give up thoughts of the division title. They already lost the first game to Tennessee, so even if both ended up with the same record, the Titans would take the division.  This is a huge game for the Colts, and they need to be firing on all cylinders. Derrick Henry can hardly be stopped, so they'll have to at least try keeping him out of the end zone and have Tennesse go for field goals. 

@teganslaw 

OH NO--the Chargers made a BIG MISTAKE signing PK Hopkins, but as Coach Rivera pointed out....there's not much out there to chose from when it comes to kickers!

GOOD LUCK to your Colts!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

You know your team's season is done when they are already predicting the 2022 DRAFT ORDER---(at least the top portion anyway...)

27Capture.PNG

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman   thanks for the updates.  Cautious optimism that the Eagles win on Sunday.

Also hoping that Arizona goes all the way and that Zach Ertz gets another Super Bowl ring.

The Chiefs seem to be struggling this season.  Hopefully they can turn things around.

As for the Giants, I'd like to see them win.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r 

The Cards are looking really good. Getting Ertz was a good pickup for them. The playoffs will be pretty interesting. Safe to assume the Bucs, Cards, Rams, Cowboys, and Packers will be in. I have no idea who else will sneak in, but those teams playing one another should be fun to watch.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman @teganslaw 

Oh Oh----JJ Watt wont play for the Cardinals Thursday and Andre Hopkins is questionable.....

Also Von Miller, Baker Mayfield, and did not practice on Wednesday...

Tanya Snyder said email leaks did not come from her or her husband....and Goodell said no further information will be released regarding the WFT investigation, but they will be cooperative with the request from congress for more information....SAY WHAT??? Those statements seem to counterdict one another!

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

Yeah, JJ Watt is having shoulder surgery and is done for the regular season. Pity. He may be able to come back for the post-season though, so that's good. 

The WFT investigation is being handled differently than most NFL investigations. The NFL typically produces volumes of information detailing every aspect of the investigation. We're not getting that with the WFT investigation. The league is trying hard to protect certain people while sacrificing others (Jon Gruden.) It's interesting. The more you try to hide something the more people want to see what it is you're hiding, so it's not the best strategy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Maybe it would be in JJ Watt's best interest to retire. He has had so many injuries and can't contribute like he did in the past. I'm sure that he would be inducted into a Ring of Honor (probably Texans.) 

Matt Hasselback was recently inducted into the Seahawks Ring of Honor. Although he played for the Colts, his first team was Seattle, so I can see why he was inducted in that city. 

Mark Ingram is headed back to New Orleans in exchange for draft picks. Details haven't been listed. He must be happy to get out of Houston. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain