Honored Contributor

Week Eight of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!

We will now be ending the first half of the season for those teams that haven't had a bye yet and next week every team will be at least at the halfway mark. Lots of player movement this past week as teams shuffle their rosters to either get stronger for a playoff run, or sell off unwanted assets after a disappointing start to the year.

Our first game this week is the Redskins at the Vikings. YIkes! I've got a bad feeling about this one for the Redskins. Kirk Cousins has been playing very well lately and will likely want to destroy the Redskins who are pretty easy to destroy right about now. I'm taking the Vikings in this one and it could get ugly early.

The Giants go to the Lions in a battle of two-win teams that will likely play a role in the draft positions of both teams. Whoever wins could find themselves falling five to ten spots back in the draft. There are a lot of bad teams this year and getting one extra win could make a big difference in where you pick. I'm taking the Lions in this one.

The Seahawks go to the Falcons. Normally a west Coast team flying east for an early game is at a disadvantage, but Dan Quinn is still the Falcons head coach, despite the players' attempts to get him fired, so the Seahawks should win this one to help push Dan Quinn to the unemployment line. I'll take the Seahawks in a romp.

The Chargers are at the Bears. What the heck happened to the Chargers? They were supposed to be good this year, but have imploded. I'll take the Bears despite their QB issues. (I wouldn't be shocked to see the Bears try to trade for a QB before the trade deadline. Marcus Mariota might be available at the right price and he'd likely be an upgrade over Trubisky.)

The Cardinals are at the Saints. Drew Brees is expected to be back and playing in New Orleans is always tough. I'll take New Orleans. 

The Jets are at the Jaguars. I expect to see the Jets rebound a bit after getting their tails whooped by the Patriots. I'm just not sure it'll be enough. I'm taking the Jags but an upset wouldn't shock me.

The Broncos are at the Colts. Frank Reich is milking the Colts for all they've got and doing a great job. I'll take the Colts. The Broncos are lost until they find a QB someplace. Flacco is not the answer for them.

The Eagles are at the Bills. The Eagles desperately need the win and the Bills are beatable. But there's something off with the chemistry of this Eagles team. This is the Eagles third straight road game and they're 0-2 so far. I'm thinking they'll be 0-3 after this game, but I'm picking the Eagles anyway in the hope they prove me wrong. I'm counting on Josh Allen making a mistake or ten to keep us in the game and Wentz pulling out the win.

The Bucs are at the Titans in the disappointing QB Bowl. Both teams thought they'd drafted their franchise QB's one and two a few years back. Both were wrong. Neither team is likely to finish high enough in the draft to get a top QB this year, so they're trapped in QB limbo for at least one more year. I guess I'll take the Titans since they're playing at home.

The winless Bengals are at the Rams in what should be something of a bye game for the Rams. I expect the Rams to win easily as the Bengals look to lose to stay tied for the lead in the Tanking for Tua sweepstakes.

The Panthers are at the Niners in what could be a pretty good game. Cam Newton is ready to come back, but the Panthers are sticking with Kyle Allen instead. (Cam to the Bears perhaps?) The Niners are on a roll and playing at home, so I'll take the Niners in this one.

The Browns are at the Patriots in what looked like it might be a preview of the AFC Championship game in the preseason. Yeah, not so much now. The Browns have excelled at underperforming this year. They're one of the more talented teams in the league, but have only managed to get two wins. They won't win this week. The Patriots will roll over them like they have pretty much everyone else.

The Raiders are at the Texans in what could be a pretty good game. Jon Gruden has actually got the Raiders playing decent football. I'll take the Texans at home, but it should be a pretty fun game to watch.

The Packers are at the Chiefs in what should have been a showdown between two of the league's best QB's. Sadly, Mahomes is out with an injury, so it'll be Aaron Rodgers against Matt Moore, who I wasn't sure was still in the league. I've got the Packers winning this one even though they're playing in KC.

The good news is we can all skip the Monday night game as the Dolphins lose to the Steelers to keep their spot tied for first in the Tanking for Tua sweepstakes. Kudos to the Dolphins for having a plan and sticking to it. They made it pretty clear way, way back in the offseason that they were tanking for Tua this year and by God, they're doing it brilliantly. I'm guessing the NFL schedule maker had plans for this Monday night and decided to put a meaningless game here so he wouldn't miss anything by skipping it. Smart man. It's about the only way to explain putting the Dolphins on a primetime game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: Week Eight of the 2019 NFL Regular Season!!

[ Edited ]

Sad, sad, sad....half way through the NFL season... Smiley Sad

And my picks are equally as sad.... Woman LOL

Redskins Vs Vikings---  No weather equalizer this game....and dont ya know Capt Kirk wants a bit of REVENGE on his old team .Keenum returns to his old stomping grounds too, but NO CONTEST--VIKINGS for the win SKOL!!!

Giants Vs Lions---So how is that pick of Daniel Jones looking now----as Jones looks very mortal, will NY fans start yelling for Eli???....RB Barkley's return didn't seem to help much...maybe it was rust. On the other side 3 losses in a row for the Lions YIKES and against the Vikings it wasn't a close game....BUT I think the Lions will be ready TO POUNCE and get a win at home...going with the felines-The LIONS will ROAR! @redwingsgal 

Seahawks Vs Falcons---As the Falcons start their fire sale and getting rid of players, and QB Matty Ice gets hurt its doom and gloom ahead for the Falcons ..The Seahawks are trying to refuel to stay in the hunt in a HOT and very tight NFC West Division ...no question..SEAHAWKS!

Chargers Vs Bears--- This might be thought of as the INEPT BOWL....both teams are struggling badly....with the Chargers its injuries...with Da Bears its their QB..... Smiley Wink Coin flip game picking DA BEARS only because they are at home....

Cardinals Vs Saints---  Well I hope the Cardinals enjoyed their time in the sun with cupcake teams on their schedule....now they go up against the big boys and a Saints defense thats been playing very well and includes our home town guy, Marcus Davenport--YAY!  No matter who the QB is for the Saints they get the WIN ---SAINTS! 

Jets Vs Jaguars---Sam Darnold is seeing ghosts, and the entire Jets team looked scared and pathetic......The Jags moved on without Ramsey and they got a win last week, but it was against the lousy Bengals.... I'm sticking with the home team and going with the felines once again...JAGUARS for the "W"!!!

Broncos Vs Colts---Where is the outcry to put Drew Lock in because Flacco has not gotten that Bronco offense going....????  Colts are on a roll and are an extremely well balanced and well coached team....COLTS all the way for the WIN!

Eagles Vs Bills---The Eagles got spanked by the Cowboys...they looked awful in all phases of the game...partly due to injuries and turnovers, but they just looked bad and some of the play calling was questionable too......(sorry @gardenman )  The Bills are an interesting team...they might have beaten the Patriots if it werent for a QB injury....  Im taking the BILLS for the WIN at home...buffalo wings for everyone! Smiley Happy 

Bucs Vs Titans--Well the Titans made the QB move and Tannehill got the win!!  And it looks like Winstons time as the Buc's QB will finally be coming to an end soon....Ill take Tannehill over Winston and the TITANS at home!!!

Bengals Vs Rams---  Bengals are in the hunt for the tanking for Tua Sweepstakes and the Rams have to win to keep close to the HOT 49ers.....RAMS! 

Panthers Vs 49ers--  This is an interesting game and Im happy to see Coach Rivera sticking with Allen, I'm not a Cam fan, and they also have a strong running game to help them continue on their win streak....Meanwhile the 49ers got a winning streak going of their own and may be the hottest team in the NFC....they got through the mud bowl and my lousy Redskins, lets see how they do against a good team..... I'll give the 49ers the WIN, but think it will be a close game...

Browns Vs Patriots--- The Browns have not lived up to expectations for a variety of reasons...Meanwhile the Patriots are bulldozing  their competition...The only interesting thing about this game is to see if Bill Belichick exploits another loophole in the NFL rule book...PATRIOTS for another WIN!

Raiders Vs Texans---  The Texans lost a very entertaining game against the Colts...and the Raiders got beat solidly by a very good Packer team....Houston is focused on the MLB World Series, but regardless the Houstonians will also be cheering for the TEXANS when they get their WIN!! 

Packers Vs Chiefs---The Packers are playing very well...meanwhile the Chiefs try to make do with Matt Moore until the wonderkid, Mahomes, returns from injury.....Im taking AARON RODGERS and the PACKERS!

Dolphins Vs Steelers--  The Dolphins escapsed with a LOSS last week..WHEW!!! And still a top contender for the Tanking For Tua Sweepstakes.... Meanwhile the Steelers are still TRYING to win despite life without Big Ben as they beat the inept Chargers last week....going with the STEELERS who still have PRIDE and will get another win at home!  (Yep @gardenman I'm taking your advice, instead of recording DWTS for later viewing, think Ill watch that live and sneak a peek at the game during the commercials...I dont think this MNF game will be a barn burner....LOL)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!

And it's the opening NBA Season game for my SPURS--taking the SPURS over the Knicks... GO SPURS GO! Woman LOL

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

Colts QB Brissett named AFC Offensive Player Of The Week

Packers QB Aaron Rodgers named NFC Offensive Player Of The Week....

The Cowboys kicker Brett Maher was named Special Teams Player of the week for his record breaking FG....

Speaking of the Colts @teganslaw   Darius Leonard was on Golic & Wingo yesterday, they complimented him for his strong performance against the Texans.  Of course Darius was very humble and gave credit to his teammates and coaches....But what was interesting was they asked him to go through his concussion protocol, but Darius refused to discuss it or answer any questions regarding his concussion.....(Trey Wingo pointed out that at no time during this process did Darius consider retirement)....interesting none the less that Darius refused to even discuss it....They did ask him about Brissett replacing Luck and he said the team was confident in Brissett and his leadership....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Congrats to Rodgers, Brissett and Maher for their players of the week awards! 

According to some articles, Darius Leonard didn't consider retirement, but he did wonder about long term effects on concussions. Maybe the subject was too personal for him to talk about it. He came from a tough background and had to go through a lot of hardships to get to the NFL, so Leonard doesn't take any of his success for granted.

Brissett has always been a leader in the locker room, and is liked and respected by everyone in the organization. Tom Brady, when asked, mentioned that he was happy for Brissett, since Brissett was liked in NE  also.   Reich had no problem making him starter when Luck retired.  

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Esteemed Contributor

The Patriots placed Josh Gordon on IR. When he's cleared, it's almost a certainty that he will be waived. Wonder where his next landing spot would be. 

With the trade deadline approaching, Marc Sessler wrote about potential buys and sells for the AFC teams. He mentioned that Nelson Agholor could be a good fit for Indy; he needs a new start and there is the connection to Reich. Potential compensation for him: fourth round 2020 draft pick. 

I'm not sure Indy needs another WR unless they waive one of the several they have. Agholor hasn't been playing well, so maybe he needs new management. I don't know what the problem is.  There is a rumor that Deon Cain could be traded, but no official word on that.

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw 

I doubt that any team would give up a fourth for Agholor. He's on the last year of his contract and rated in the nineties of the top one hundred wide receivers. He's just not playing well this year. He's dropped or hasn't tried to catch at least three long touchdown passes this year. He's a decent run blocker as a wide receiver, but his receiving skill has disappeared. You could never really count on him to make a tough catch, but even the easy stuff is being missed now. He had a good year in 2017, but since then has regressed.

It typically takes a few years for the light to go on for young receivers in the NFL. It looked like the lights went on for Agholor in 2017. Sadly, they've gone out since then. He's arguably playing the worst football he's played in his career now, and it's a contract year when he should be playing his best. He's doing a brilliant job of tamping down his value around the league. The Eagles are paying him $9.4 million this year and getting very, very little back in return.

Alshon Jeffrey or Zach Ertz get double-teamed by defenses and face their top defenders, but opposing teams typically put their least capable defender on Agholor, so he should excel. Instead he flops. I don't know what's happened to him, but he's playing about as badly as you can play these days. He can play well, but for whatever reason, he's not this year. Is he dinged up physically? I don't know. He seems healthy. Is it a mental thing? If not for him then it is for the fans. The guy in Philly who was catching the kids being thrown out of the burning building and said, "We caught them all, unlike Agholor," gives you some idea of the fan frustration with him.

Is he putting too much pressure on himself? Maybe. A change in location couldn't make him any worse, as it's pretty much impossible to play worse than he's been playing. I'm just not sure it would make him any better. If you're absolutely desperate for a wide receiver and there's no one else available, I might offer a fifth or sixth-round pick for him, but he wouldn't be a priority of mine. I'm pretty sure the Eagles won't be bringing him back in 2020. They've reportedly offered him as a throw-in on several trades, so they don't value him all that much.

He's one of those really frustrating players with so much potential that you stick with them, but then plays poorly most of the time. Agholor turned to DeSean Jackson for advice on catching the ball after the Dallas game and as he said, "It only can get better." His play surely can't get any worse. If the Colts want him, he's readily available and it won't take something as high as a fourth-round pick to get him. Make an offer. Any offer. Do you have a used towel you want to get rid of? The Eagles would likely take the deal. 

As you may be able to tell, the fanbase, myself included, are tired of Agholor and his potential. We need results, not potential. If the Colts want him, he's theirs. We'll wave goodbye to him as he leaves. Not only did he not dive for, or even reach out for the ball in Dallas, he now admits he wasn't running flat out as he didn't pick up the ball in time. Dude, you're supposed to be running flat out on that route whether you pick up the ball or not. The QB, who's getting killed in the pocket on that throw, throws the ball where you're supposed to be. If you're not there because you're not running flat out, you don't deserve to be on the field. Ugh!

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Here is my waste of time errrrrr picks for this week

Redskins over Vikings - Please, @Spurt 

LIONS over Giants - If we can't beat the Giants...

Seahawks over Falcons - I hate picking this one, NOT a Carroll fan

Chargers over Bears - Will I ever give up??

Saints over Cardinals - Marcus and I have the same last name, @Spurt !!

Jaguars over Jets - Jets look pitiful

Colts over Broncos - You know how I feel about Elway

Bills over Eagles -  Sorry, @gardenman 

Titans over Bucs - MM is on the bench, Tannehill for the win

Rams over Benglas - Tank for Tua !!

49ers over Panthers - Big win

Patriots over Browns - Okies have stopped talking about Baker 

Raiders over Texans - Either way, could be best game of the week

Chiefs over Packers - Please!!

Steelers over Dolphins - The only thing the Dolphins will win this year is the tank for Tua game!!!

Good Luck to everyone's teams.  Mine sucks 

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to see Case Keenum out with a concussion. The Redskins seem to have the worst luck. Haskins didn't do very well; will Callahan still have him start in place of Keenum if Keenum isn't ready to go? Colt McCoy should be ready, so why stick with Haskins when he's not developed? 

It was nice to see Adrian Peterson get a standing ovation. Vikings fans appreciate what he did for their team.

I'm impressed with McLaurin; one of Washington's best players. Glad to see Hentges contribute, also. 

Can Dalvin Cook be stopped? I'm not sure about that.

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

Sorry to see Case Keenum out with a concussion. The Redskins seem to have the worst luck. Haskins didn't do very well; will Callahan still have him start in place of Keenum if Keenum isn't ready to go? Colt McCoy should be ready, so why stick with Haskins when he's not developed? 

It was nice to see Adrian Peterson get a standing ovation. Vikings fans appreciate what he did for their team.

I'm impressed with McLaurin; one of Washington's best players. Glad to see Hentges contribute, also. 

Can Dalvin Cook be stopped? I'm not sure about that.

@teganslaw 

What can I say...Cook was THE MAN!!!

Callahan says if Keenum is healthy he's the starting QB..Callahan said it's not one thing Haskins specifically needs to work on. It's more of an overall development, and Callahan continues to preach that it's a growing process...For all the media and people that say to start Haskins, this game showed why we SHOULD NOT!!!!  With McCoy being inactive and Keenum nursing a bad ankle Haskins got some good reps with the first team the last couple of games, but you can see Haskins is not ready you can see it in his reads and his footwork....He had McLaurin wide open and missed him.....But whats scary is that Callahan also said if Keenum has to miss time, Haskins will start and McCoy will be backup.....I have feeling Callahan is feeling pressure from Snyder....even though he knows Haskins isn't ready.....

I was just happy the team did not look like it was quitting for the season and the defense played quite well until the offense didnt give them any breaks and they finally wore down....Capt Kirk was held to just 19 pts and 285 yds....pretty good considering a totally depleted secondary....the D line played great...Too bad Case got that concussion because the Redskins were right in the game....And I thought the Redskins played better than the Eagles and it was also a short week for the team too..... @gardenman Smiley Wink

At least my Spurs won....Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman 

Oh Oh GARDENMAN....looks like there are problems in the Eagles Nest and another former Eagle speaks out....

Scandrick said he felt his release was the team trying to scapegoat him for last Sunday’s loss to the Cowboys and said the team has “some accountability issues there and it starts from the top.” He said he didn’t “believe anything” executive vice president of football operations Howie Roseman said and cited linebacker Zach Brown’s release while wondering if head coach Doug Pederson should be let go for failing to deliver a promised win over the Cowboys.

He was also asked about locker room issues in light of recent criticism of the offense from an anonymous player. Quarterback Carson Wentz said this week that “everyone’s good” but Scandrick feels otherwise.

“Let’s just say, where there’s smoke, there’s fire,” Scandrick said. “That locker room is different. I’d tell guys when I came there that I felt like they were still living off that Super Bowl high. It’s over. They’re living in the past.”

Scandrick said the Eagles defense has some “selfish people” in the lineup. He avoided naming names, but he didn’t need to say Malcolm Jenkins to know that he was talking about the veteran safety.

“I think when you wear a ‘C’ on your jersey, it’s your job to bring guys along,” Scandrick said. “It’s your job. Sometimes you need to take the hard down, you need to take the hard job and you need to bring the thing together. I don’t know if that’s the case. You look at everything that happened. You hold out for a contract. You come in. You’re not really making any plays, like splash plays. Then you go down to Minnesota and you’re supposed to be in the half of the field and you end up playing a crosser? That’s not a rookie we’re talking about. It’s a two-time Super Bowl champ.”

The Eagles brought Scandrick back in late September after cutting him in late August. It’s a good bet that he won’t be back a third time.