Honored Contributor

@SunnysMom wrote:

Serena's inner nasty diva was showing. I used to like her but after today, no way. I am guessing she figuered she'd win. I guess she thinks she is above being reprimanded.     This comment is so well stated I just copied it....

I don't follow tennis but Serena has been whining a lot about how it is to be a mother,  she needs to go away and focus on it 

newsflash: there are many mothers most don't whine about how hard it is

Honored Contributor

I know she has been talking about all her body changes and sleepless nights since having her baby, etc... every working mother deals with the same but they have to go to work and do their job. Serena is a gazillionaire and doesn't even have to play tennis now. She is doing it by choice. Maybe this will be the impetus she needs to either get back into the game without taking her skills for granted, or spend more time being a mom to her baby. She is so lucky she has a choice. Most women don't get to choose.

Esteemed Contributor

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Honored Contributor
Naomi will be winning tennis championships long after Serena has retired. Expect great things from Naomi Osaka.
Esteemed Contributor

Serena should have retired after she had the baby.She almost died in childbirth & then ended up with post  partum depression.

I don’t think she’s up to it physically or mentally. She needs to face the truth & retire with grace.She was the best for a very long time.All things come to an end.Serena needs to move on.Her behavior was unbefitting a person of her stature.

Naomi won handily.This is her time now.She deserves to enjoy her victory!!

Honored Contributor
I can't imagine her retiring after a loss like this, but I would think after what happened today she has to be thinking about it.
Super Contributor

Serena is an amazing tennis player but today was a bit much for me. She pleaded her case respectfully in the beginning but was unable to drop it and as they say, pride goeth before the fall. I don't think the umpire was right to penalize her the game -- he could've given her a warning given the circumstances -- but unfortunately, she has a reputation of these types of tantrums and rightly or wrongly, that surely swayed his actions. She tried to redeem herself during the awards ceremony but I will forever now associate her with the tears streaming down Osaka's cheeks when the crowd was booing the result. Naomi played fabulously and Serena should be ashamed.

Honored Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

@SunnysMom wrote:

Serena's inner nasty diva was showing. I used to like her but after today, no way. I am guessing she figuered she'd win. I guess she thinks she is above being reprimanded.     This comment is so well stated I just copied it....

I don't follow tennis but Serena has been whining a lot about how it is to be a mother,  she needs to go away and focus on it 

newsflash: there are many mothers most don't whine about how hard it is

I fault the press and the announcers for constantly harping on Serena being a mother.  She isn't the first and she isn't the only, and she should have been wished well and then LET IT GO!   And she needs to learn to control her temper.  Life isn't fair, stuff happens but good grief you aren't the only ones stuff happens to.  Enough is never enough is it?  Sad. 

Honored Contributor

Serena has a reputation of looking to her coach's box frequently when she's struggling. Players are allowed to receive coaching between games, but Serena looks to her coach during games and that's not allowed. She's done it for years and typically gets away with it, but this official wasn't having it. She should have accepted the reprimand and moved on. Her tantrum just made her look childish.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Serena has been fined $17K for her meltdown...that comes out of the $1.85 million she gets for being runner-up. She won't even notice it. She is now crying sexism.