Trusted Contributor

I listened to her podcast with Meghan Markle and it didn't sound like she plans on playing professionally again.

She wants another baby.

Respected Contributor

@LizzieInSRQ wrote:

Serena Williams was and still is one of the rudest people to ever play professional tennis. I just read an article specifically about this last night. Good Riddance I say. 

@LizzieInSRQ   I found her bullying, especially toward the refs, a bit much to take.

I think many people forgot that during a US Open final some years back she was not happy with a call.  She went to the female ref that made the call and proceeded with:

"If I could, I would take this ******* ball and shove it down your ******* throat."

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

As an aside observation, have you checked out the gigantic diamond ring on Caroline Wozniacki's left hand?  That basketball-player husband of hers must be doing very well. 

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter  Speaking of Caroline.....I can barely watch her when she's commenating.  IMHO she just doean't have a good broadcasting voice.  I liked her as a player, but not as an announcer.  Again, JMHO.

Trusted Contributor

@Zernia Rose 

@Zernia Rose wrote:

@Black Cat Back  I agree that Serena's impact is extraordinary and it will be a long time coming for others to match her achievement . If you watched Serena's matches earlier in the week, then you would have seen her signing  a significant number of autographs, for children especially-more than most players.  Even thouogh she had to go back in for testing (probably), she autographed whatever the children presented to her.  Serena usually carrries her own equipment off the courts as do most other players.  I believe court officials sought to clear the court faster by removing the equipment for her. The length of the applause, and the long interview served to delay preparation for something else based on the comments made by McEnroe.

i would venture to guess that this was an overwhelming night for her and the former tennis player conducting the interview focused most of her comments/queries on Serena.  Aija was interviewed and she will be given additional time as she rises through the tournament.  She probably understood the historic nature of Serena's match in much the same way as other players recognize the greatness of  Tom Brady and the impact of his retirement/unretirement..

@Zernia Rose 

Thank you for the clarification of the autographs to the kids.  I didn't see that, so I appreciate knowing that.   My post wasn't meant as a dig on Serena, it was mostly to acknowledge Alja and how much I admired her poise. 

I think Serena is one of the greatest women's tennis player to play.  I personally never enjoyed watching her dramatic antics on the court, but that is her style and it worked for her.  I never enjoyed John McEnroe's either, but I still like him.  

I hope if Serena does get involved with tennis again she'll be helping develop the younger women and guide them through the process.

Thanks for your post.

Respected Contributor

There is a local player, Frances Tiafoe, that we love to cheer for.

There is a tennis facility at the University of Maryland and Tiafoe's father was a janitor there after coming here from Sierra Leone.

He picked up a racquet at an early age and the people at the facility began working with him. 

He has been as high as 24 in the world.  He tends to really go for his shots, for better or worse.  I think as he matures over the next few years in his game, he may be able to crack the top ten.

He is great fun to watch so catch one of his matches.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Black Cat Back wrote:

Just watched the Serena/Tomljanovic match.   As a huge tennis fan, I agree that Serena is the best in women's tennis.  She has a wonderful legacy,

I was very impressed with Ajla, who won.  What a lady.  She endured all the cheers for Serena the whole match and kept her composure.   When she won, Serena got all the attention, and she sat there and waited out of respect.

When she was finally interviewed, her grace and heartfelt compliments to Serena were so touching and showed what a winner she is.  It was her moment, and she let it be Serena's. 

I do think Serena should have thanked her opponent and acknowledged her for a moment.  Ajla looks up to her, and Serena should have said something to the effect of wishing her well in the sport, etc.   Also, Serena wouldn't sign an autograph when all the tennis superstars do, Rafa, Roger, Novak, etc.  I guess she wants people to pay for her autograph is my guess.  

I project that Serena is not really done.   She may come back.  Serena likes the drama and it wouldn't surprise me if this was just a moment to behold for her, and she wants to come back at some point to have the glory.

The US Open is exciting this year.   Just wish John Isner could have stayed on (he got hurt) and of course, wish Roger could be there.  I think this day is coming soon for Roger too.  

I am now a huge fan of Ajla and wish her success as she moves to her next round.   I am totally impressed by this young lady.

@Black Cat Back I think it's time Roger and some of the others retire gracefully, enjoy their legacy and let the newer players had their day.  I hate when people hang on and hang on in sports. It's just painful to watch. 

Honored Contributor

@Mersha  I'm watching him right now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

Me too, he's having a great match today.

Respected Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@Krimpette @deepwaterdotter 

He about gave me a heart attack in that tie break!!

He has such raw talent he could really go far.  I love that the NY crowd is behind him and cheering him on.

If he can pull this match off, it would be a great win for him.  I love watching his Dad in the stands.  I know from experience that it is torture to watch your child play a tennis match.