Respected Contributor

U.S. Open Tennis 2019

[ Edited ]

Wow!!  What a day at the Open for young American women!!

Taylor Townsend, with her serve and volley/chip and charge, took out the 4th seed, Simona Halep.  It is so nice to see this type of tennis being played again by the women.  Caty McNally was using it against Serena last night and won a set in the match.

Coco Gauff's match tonight was so much fun to watch.  She is such an exciting new player on the rise.  She won a 3 setter over veteran Timea Babos.  The remarkable thing is that she is only 15 years old and showed such determination and focus in the stadium with thousands of fans cheering her on. 

I can't wait to see what develops for these players in the coming days.

...and oh, the night matches...such fun to watch, especially when they go late at night with the New York crowd.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the updates and your joyful evaluation!

Honored Contributor

@Mersha  Yes, those 2 matches were impressive performances.  I hope they can continue to improve.  So many young players seem to burn out very quickly.  Makes what the Williams sisters, 20 years of high quality tennis, even more impressive not to mention Federer, Nadal and Novak.  

i can't imagine starting a tennis match at 10 pm or even later.  As a native New Yorker I'm not surprised at the enthusiasm of the crowd.  The city that never sleeps!!

Enjoy the rest of the tournament.  Go Roger and Serena!

Honored Contributor

I'd love to see Naomi repeat and get the recognition she deserves, without any conflict.....no matter her opponent.  But any of the remaining US women  would be fine with me, since they are all playing awesome right now!  On the men's side, Roger or Novak would be fine by me!  I love watching both of them.  It's been a very enjoyable tournament thus far!

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50   You are so right on the burn out issue.  I have seen it happen so many times.

I can't believe that the Williams sisters still love the game so much that they are competing in their late 30's.

I just love the New York crowds as they bring so much to the matches and make them fun....especially when the clock hits midnight!

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

@Krimpette I am excited to see the Osaka/Gauff match on Saturday.  Hopefully, it will be the night match.

I understand your feelings on Osaka with all of the drama from last year. 

It is exciting to have so much depth on the women's tour now.  That was not the case for far too long.

Respected Contributor

Taylor Townsend won again!

Respected Contributor

It was a pleasure to see the great sportsmanship of Naomi Osaka as she consoled Coco Gauff after she beat her.

She truly is a class act and has won me over.  I will be cheering her on to win the tourament.

Honored Contributor

Hi Mersha, my tennis friend.  I was also in tears after the Osaka/Gauff match.  Such grace, sportsmanship, and class shown by Ms. Osaka.  They shall be rivals at future tournaments, but the kindness will never be forgotten.  I'm pulling for Naomi Osaka to win the title again.

On the men's side, I cannot forsake my Rafa;  he is playing so well.  The question has to be if Djoker's shoulder can withstand the upcoming matches.  And the flawless Fed is always a factor.  It has been interesting to watch Nick Kyrgios at this tournament.  He has managed his emotions relatively well (for him) in New York this year, and I've never seen him play this well.   

Respected Contributor

Good to see you, Deep!!  It is too bad Novak had to retire in tonight's match.  He seemed to be really struggling with the shoulder injury.  I was happy to see Stan do well as I have always liked him.

With Novak's departure, it really opens things up for Rafa and Fed.  Rafa is playing Cilic tomorrow night and that should be a great match.  Taylor Townsend is playing after them and I hope she does well also.

I wondered if Kyrgios would behave under the lights with the New York crowd and, for the most part, he did.  He has been fined so many times that I have lost count.  The other "hothead" is Medvedev.  Hopefully, he will go out soon.