Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter 

Just read where the cause of this crash was excessive speed! But as I figured, he will not face any charges or citations. Ain't that nice?

Nothing was damaged in all that mess and he could have killed people, and NADA! Don't suppose they snatched his drivers license permanently? Course not, he's had ONLY 3 single crashes, why not give him 4?

I remember getting a speeding ticket, in 1960, going down a steep hill on my way to Graveyard shift, 6mph over highway speed limit. That was a long time ago, but would a celeb had gotten the same?  😆

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

So unfair, the rich and famous can do anything with no consequences. 

Honored Contributor

It seems like he should be charged with speeding and/or reckless driving.  Or is that impossible because the incident wasn't witnessed by anyone, or the car's black box data isn't admissible in court?

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

So unfair, the rich and famous can do anything with no consequences. 

A badly broken leg that will likely bother him for the rest of his life, along with medical bills of several hundred thousand dollars are pretty big consequences. If you want the folks at CHIP to also hit him with a $100 fine for speeding and think that will have a bigger impact than the broken leg or very expensive medical bills, then fine, but to say there were no consequences is a bit of an exaggeration.

That injury should be a very significant reminder of the need to obey the laws regarding speeding from this time forward and is likely much more impactful to him than any fine could ever be. His net worth is reportedly around $500 million, so no fine would trouble him all that much. A six-month or longer recovery and a lifetime of issues from the leg he broke is much more impactful.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman, this isn't his FIRST accident. he should face conssequences just like anyone else. Many others have suffered serious injuries and have not been let off.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

It seems like he should be charged with speeding and/or reckless driving.  Or is that impossible because the incident wasn't witnessed by anyone, or the car's black box data isn't admissible in court?

@ValuSkr 

Would seem to me the black box told the whole story. Read later it showed he was going 80-85mph in a 45mph zone. Also no signs that he even hit the brakes.

Even heard this excuse "got the gas pedal confused with the brake pedal". I have seen that in some very elderly drivers, but a 45 year old supposed to be athlete? Please!

Wouldn't think you would need a witness. Seems like many pay speeding tickets based on the technology of a Radar Gun. Sounds like this road is a hazard in itself.

I never heard of a road, having another "exit rumoff road" specifically for this reason. Put a " round about or speed bumps" there, but an extra "runoff ramp"? Only place I have seen those is at the end of Drag Strips in case a 300mph dragster's parachute failed to open.

Laws for thee, but not for me!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@gardenman 

Didn't appear his other 2 single car crashes changed the way he drives. Why would this one?  So if a person shoots at another person, the perp gets shot back and ends up a paraplegic, that's enough punishment for the perp shooting at someone else?

So he has lifetime of issues that he did to himself. Why, only he knows. If people like to take risks in their lives, pick the risks that harm only themselves, not risk injury or death to others. You take risks as an adult, what, say it's someone else's fault, because you got seriously hurt? 

3 single car crashes and you think he deserves sympathy? Everyone is lucky they weren't out driving when this guy, again, lost control of his vehicle going 80-85mph.

I know of many hockey players that broke their necks playing the game they love, left them as paraplegic. Didn't hear them blaming the person who drove the Zamboni for the bad ice/anopposing player/the facility/coach and on I could go.

We see the world differently when it comes to people taking responsibility for their own actions. Break the laws(there are speeding laws)/get injured, and who gets away with this?  People with a name and that is a sad reality!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)