Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,765
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!


@teganslaw wrote:

Is anyone going to watch the Pro bowl? I am because I want to see Andrew Luck (substututing for Philip Rivers) , Nelson and Ebron. I also like watching the other players, they seem to having a good time. Besides, I need my football fix. 


I'll probably watch it. It's not like there's a lot else on. I'm not a college basketball fan.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor
Posts: 5,009
Registered: ‎10-01-2013

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!


@Emma bunting wrote:

haters.gif


Yes you do. Sad.

Valued Contributor
Posts: 787
Registered: ‎07-31-2011

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!


@gardenman wrote:

As a general rule in sports, casual fans are bandwagon jumpers. They'll start supporting whatever team is now winning. Have a winning team, you'll get tons of fans hoping aboard, buying your jerseys and claiming undying loyalty, until you lose, then they're on to the next team that's hot. You see that with pretty much any team that wins a lot in every sport.

 

You don't see that so much with the Patriots. They've been winning forever. You'd think they'd have a huge national fanbase like the Cowboys or Packers did in their heyday when they were the dominant teams in the NFL, but they don't. 

 

There's just too much shadiness with the Patriots for a lot of even casual fans to jump on their bandwagon. Brady and Belichick aren't especially lovable types. They're just a hard team for most of us to support. It's not so much because they win, but the rest of the stuff they do. God knows most winning teams get tons of people jumping aboard the bandwagon and claiming fandom, even with a prickly coach and QB, but the Patriots are just a hard team to support for most of us.

 

When you look at the teams and fanbases that feel they've been abused by the Patriots in some manner, going back to the snowplow game, the tuck rule, spygate, deflategate, and more, pretty much every fanbase in the NFL has some gripe against the Patriots that prevents most from hopping on the Patriots bandwagon. We don't hate the Patriots for being winners. We hate them for the way they win. We hate that they seem to be favored by the officials. (May or may not be true.) We hate that Brady tends to fling himself to the turf and beg for a flag with any contact. We hate that with pretty much any controversy it's the Patriots who are involved. It's not just a once or twice type of thing either, but year after year it happens.

 

I've already spoken why the Eagles' fans hate the Patriots. It's not because they beat us fair and square, we don't hate the Raiders who also beat us in a Super Bowl, it because the Patriots appear to have cheated to beat us. Fairness is something that fans like in teams and the Patriots just never seem to play fair. From having a snowplow operator clear the field for their kicker, being caught spying on opposing teams, altering footballs, intercepting radio communications, and more, are the reasons the Patriots aren't loved outside of New England. They win, but they don't win fair and fairness matters to a lot of fans.

 

And it's not just, "Hey, stuff happens to us, it's not our fault." The Patriots constantly look to break the rules. In 2015 they came up with their ineligible receiver rule gambit they used against Baltimore and Indy, alienating two more large fanbases. The reason everyone doesn't love the Patriots is that they just don't play fair. Sure, they win, but they win by cheating, or averting the rules. Most fanbases don't mind losing if the loss came fairly. Losses to the Patriots almost always have an asterisk attached and don't seem fair. That's why the Patriots have haters. It's not because they win, fans tend to gravitate towards winners. It's because they're shady (at best) when and how they win.

 

Show me another team in the league with as many controversial acts as the Patriots have had. You'll have to look long and hard to find any. That's why the Patriots aren't universally loved. Winning teams generally are loved. The Patriots are the exception to the rule. And they're not just picked on by the league. The Patriots constantly look to cheat or avert the rules. 

 


what hate them for being a great football team? hate them for playing as a unified team? hate them because they have talent, good coaching, and all work together to make all this happen? 

Contributor
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎04-24-2017

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!

[ Edited ]

@willomenia wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

As a general rule in sports, casual fans are bandwagon jumpers. They'll start supporting whatever team is now winning. Have a winning team, you'll get tons of fans hoping aboard, buying your jerseys and claiming undying loyalty, until you lose, then they're on to the next team that's hot. You see that with pretty much any team that wins a lot in every sport.

 

You don't see that so much with the Patriots. They've been winning forever. You'd think they'd have a huge national fanbase like the Cowboys or Packers did in their heyday when they were the dominant teams in the NFL, but they don't. 

 

There's just too much shadiness with the Patriots for a lot of even casual fans to jump on their bandwagon. Brady and Belichick aren't especially lovable types. They're just a hard team for most of us to support. It's not so much because they win, but the rest of the stuff they do. God knows most winning teams get tons of people jumping aboard the bandwagon and claiming fandom, even with a prickly coach and QB, but the Patriots are just a hard team to support for most of us.

 

When you look at the teams and fanbases that feel they've been abused by the Patriots in some manner, going back to the snowplow game, the tuck rule, spygate, deflategate, and more, pretty much every fanbase in the NFL has some gripe against the Patriots that prevents most from hopping on the Patriots bandwagon. We don't hate the Patriots for being winners. We hate them for the way they win. We hate that they seem to be favored by the officials. (May or may not be true.) We hate that Brady tends to fling himself to the turf and beg for a flag with any contact. We hate that with pretty much any controversy it's the Patriots who are involved. It's not just a once or twice type of thing either, but year after year it happens.

 

I've already spoken why the Eagles' fans hate the Patriots. It's not because they beat us fair and square, we don't hate the Raiders who also beat us in a Super Bowl, it because the Patriots appear to have cheated to beat us. Fairness is something that fans like in teams and the Patriots just never seem to play fair. From having a snowplow operator clear the field for their kicker, being caught spying on opposing teams, altering footballs, intercepting radio communications, and more, are the reasons the Patriots aren't loved outside of New England. They win, but they don't win fair and fairness matters to a lot of fans.

 

And it's not just, "Hey, stuff happens to us, it's not our fault." The Patriots constantly look to break the rules. In 2015 they came up with their ineligible receiver rule gambit they used against Baltimore and Indy, alienating two more large fanbases. The reason everyone doesn't love the Patriots is that they just don't play fair. Sure, they win, but they win by cheating, or averting the rules. Most fanbases don't mind losing if the loss came fairly. Losses to the Patriots almost always have an asterisk attached and don't seem fair. That's why the Patriots have haters. It's not because they win, fans tend to gravitate towards winners. It's because they're shady (at best) when and how they win.

 

Show me another team in the league with as many controversial acts as the Patriots have had. You'll have to look long and hard to find any. That's why the Patriots aren't universally loved. Winning teams generally are loved. The Patriots are the exception to the rule. And they're not just picked on by the league. The Patriots constantly look to cheat or avert the rules. 

 


what hate them for being a great football team? hate them for playing as a unified team? hate them because they have talent, good coaching, and all work together to make all this happen? 


I'm seeing a lotta sour grapes......a lotta excuses for losing.......and a lotta whining from said losers.  Belichick knows the rules better than anyone......and uses that knowledge to his advantage. It's called being SMAHTA than your opponent. It's also called winning.  

 

And P.S........I call B.S on your premise that people "jump on the bandwagon" and "generally love" winning teams. Your logic is flawed. Your argument is baseless. People usually root for the underdog.  It's fine to hate a winning team. I hate the Yankees......  But at least I own it.....and respect them as the dominant team they were for so many years. 

Contributor
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎04-24-2017

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!


@RetRN wrote:

@Emma bunting wrote:

haters.gif


Yes you do. Sad.


@RetRN  Show me where I've been hateful. I'm actually defending against the hatred I'm seeing here.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,765
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!

Let's get back to football. Lots of Senior Bowl practice footage is popping up online now and you're seeing vast differences in talent/skill levels. In one a wide receiver has a poor DB spinning around in circles before falling down trying to keep up with the guy. In another shot a defensive lineman just murders a much larger appearing offensive lineman. In a later shot a center just bullies a defensive tackle way out of the hole and finishes by flattening the guy. Lots of college kids are moving way up in the draft order, while others are slipping back all based on their Senior Bowl practices. Coaches love this opportunity to see the kids and get their hands on them the first time. After this comes the combine where the guys will be compared to others at their position. A good couple of weeks can move you from the third round to the first. A bad couple of weeks and you can slide down and out of the draft completely.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,573
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!

The Cardinals signed Fitzgerald to a year contract, so he's not retiring yet. The team will be one to watch under their new coach, which was a surprise hire. 

 

The Chiefs fired DC Bob Sutton. KC didn't have a good defense, except for a few games this year. I don't know who will replace him. 

 

I heard that Golden Tate is set to become a free agent. Any chance the Eagles will keep him? I know of some Colts fans who would like Indy to sign him if he's available. Tyrell Wiliams is another free agent who shouldn't have any trouble finding a new team if he is released. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,342
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!


@teganslaw wrote:

Is anyone going to watch the Pro bowl? I am because I want to see Andrew Luck (substututing for Philip Rivers) , Nelson and Ebron. I also like watching the other players, they seem to having a good time. Besides, I need my football fix. 


@teganslaw

 

I am watching it!

 

Football in any form is better than what is on the other channels

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor
Posts: 30,289
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!

i will be watching.

glad to see that there are players who just "wanna have some fun."

"If the camel once gets his nose in the tent, his body will soon follow." - Arab Proverb
Honored Contributor
Posts: 18,342
Registered: ‎03-20-2010

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine45 wrote:

@Emma bunting wrote:

@Sunshine45 wrote:

maybe once belichick and brady are gone from the team then they might get a bigger fan base outside of the new england area.

 

"gloaters gonna gloat?"


not gloating at all.  Just defending Brady, Belichick and the Patriots from the haters out there. And why would a team have much of a base outside of its area anyway? 

 

The truth is....people hate winners who win as much as the Patriots do. I get it. I just think you should own your hate....... And realize that it has more to do with your team getting beaten so often. That's all. 


 

@Emma bunting

 

well then let me put it this way if you dont like the term "fan base." they will become more likeable outside of the new england area once those two are gone. my team is the ravens, but i do like and follow several other teams in particular. some of us have more than one team to enjoy.

 

i dont think the "haters" necessarily hate because they win. i think @gardenman gave some excellent examples of just why they are not well liked. there are definitely others that agree.


@Sunshine45  @Emma bunting

 

 

 

Ill prove your point Sunshine45.....When I picked my NFL team,    The Cowboys were winning, they won 5 Super Bowls and to this day still get LOTS of attention by the NFL and media even though they haven't won a Super Bowl since 1996.... I dont hate them for all that attention and monniker "America's Team"....I hate them for the antics, arrogance, their lack of character, and narcissism of the majority of their players, coaches (JimmyJohnson, Switzer), owners (Jerry, Clint Murchison), and front office (Tex Schram)....Even before Jerry Jones it was Tex Schramm, how many other NFL Team Presidents have their own TV show......Many fans referred to the Cowboys as South Americas Team because of rampant drug use, and many were the lady of evenings best friends --- I bet their wives liked that!

 

And even though I live in Texas, I didnt choose the Redskins as my team because they were the rivals of the Cowboys, and I have never lived in the DC/VA/MD area.(although I did visit once)...Back in the day in Texas we saw mainly NFC games!..I choose the Redskins because of Joe Gibbs not only because he's a good coach, but also a good person, and good players on/off the field like Art Monk, Darrell Green, Charles Mann, Monte Coleman, Dave Butz, Ken Houston, Joe Jacoby and others....sure there have been a few "crazies"...Riggo, Dexter Manley etc etc....but few compared to those Cowboys....And today the antics of Jerry Jones , Michael Irvin, Zeke Elliott and others haven't changed my mind one bit.  Yes Snyder is a jerk but he doesnt have his own TV Show and I dont hear about him calling plays and drawing up offense/defense schemes instead of the coaches....

 

Although I will admit Jason Witten is a good guy, and Tony Romo is my favorite broadcast analyst LOL!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”