Esteemed Contributor

Re: The 2019 Super Bowl News and Notes!!!

I don't think the Pro Bowl should count. The NFC only scored seven points, but the game isn't serious. How can one take it seriously when Barkley does defense, Melvin Ingram almost scores a touchdown and Jalen Ramsey does score a touchdown? Players were filling in for all kinds of positions. It was fun to watch. I liked hearing Andrew Luck call plays. 

If the Cowboys continue to use the same offense during the regular season, they will have problems. If anything should happen to Elliott, they're basically doomed. 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@teganslaw wrote:

I don't think the Pro Bowl should count. The NFC only scored seven points, but the game isn't serious. How can one take it seriously when Barkley does defense, Melvin Ingram almost scores a touchdown and Jalen Ramsey does score a touchdown? Players were filling in for all kinds of positions. It was fun to watch. I liked hearing Andrew Luck call plays. 

If the Cowboys continue to use the same offense during the regular season, they will have problems. If anything should happen to Elliott, they're basically doomed. 

@teganslaw

Our local sports guy showed some clips of the pro-bowl, and quipped, "Jason Garrett seems to still be in mid-season clapping form for this game....."  Woman LOL

And your right if something happens to Zeke that means the Cowboys have to rely on QB Dak which means they will be in trouble for sure.....

I thought this was interesting....

The NFL’s Pro Bowl game drew 8.6 million viewers for the 2018 version.

The top 10 metered markets Sunday were: Kansas City (13.9), Pittsburgh (8.6), Norfolk (8.2), West Palm Beach (8.1), Cleveland (8.1), Chicago (7.8), Buffalo (7.8), Seattle-Tacoma (7.4), New Orleans (7.3) and Orlando (7.3).

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@teganslaw wrote:

Bruce Allen did something positive for the team. Mark your calendars. I think this is a yacht competition between NFC east owners. Jerry's ship sounds nicer, so he's winning the competition so far. Woman LOL

The team doesn't think that Smith will be back this year. I would be surprised if he were, considering how serious his injury was. 

I'm watching the Pro Bowl. Andrew Luck already threw an interception, but Ebron scored a touchdown. Everyone looks like they're having fun, though. 

That external fixation on Alex Smith's leg complicates matters. It makes it much harder to start rehab until the hardware comes off and that typically takes four to twelve months. Then he's pretty much got to rebuild the leg which should take three to six months. He broke it in December, so best case scenario would be seven months which could have him back by July, that would be very, very lucky though. Having had far too much personal experience with a broken leg, I know timelines are very fluid.

@teganslaw @gardenman

Alex Smith definitely won't be back 2019...and I doubt 2020 for that matter... I bet he ends up retiring. It will be interesting to see what can be done about the cap hit.  Different articles disagree on options...I'll leave that duty to the Capologist...gives me a headache!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Yeah, the cap hit for the Redskins will be significant. I've seen numbers ranging from a low of $36 million to well over $50 million. Apparently if they cut him before the fifth day of the league year (sometime in early March) it lessens the hit a bit because his guaranteed money for 2020 (I think, maybe 2021?) won't be locked in. If he's still on the roster after the fifth day of the 2019 league year, that salary becomes guaranteed and increases his cap hit. They've got a big problem sorting things out by $19+ million.

They can renegotiate his deal if he's willing to make their life easier, but it's still going to cost them a lot of money. His agent will likely want that future money included in any renegotiated deal and he has the leverage to get it. The Redskins are kind of pinned in a very bad corner. It makes keeping Cousins at $80+ million look like a bargain. The Redskins are expected to have around $19 million in cap space, so the best case scenario (the $36+ million) still puts them $17 over the cap before they even think about signing anyone new. 

They really, desperately, need Smith and his agent to help them out and renegotiate a new deal that frees up cap space, but doing so without costing Alex Smith cash will be challenging. Alex will want all of his money and figuring out a way to do it wothout incurring a crippling cap hit is difficult, at best.

I think this might be a good year to tank for the Redskins. Take the crippling cap hit as bad as it is. Trade whatever valuable older players you have for draft picks.  (This year's draft and next years.) Draft as many kids as you can, and bring in undrafted free agent kids, and just bite the bullet, get that first overall pick next year, load up on talent then, and be back playing competitive football. Even trade your first round pick this year for multiple lower picks to get more young bodies on the roster. They're just in a really tough spot. At best Alex Smith was a short-term fix. Now he's a disaster. They've got big problems.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt

Yeah, the cap hit for the Redskins will be significant. I've seen numbers ranging from a low of $36 million to well over $50 million. Apparently if they cut him before the fifth day of the league year (sometime in early March) it lessens the hit a bit because his guaranteed money for 2020 (I think, maybe 2021?) won't be locked in. If he's still on the roster after the fifth day of the 2019 league year, that salary becomes guaranteed and increases his cap hit. They've got a big problem sorting things out by $19+ million.

They can renegotiate his deal if he's willing to make their life easier, but it's still going to cost them a lot of money. His agent will likely want that future money included in any renegotiated deal and he has the leverage to get it. The Redskins are kind of pinned in a very bad corner. It makes keeping Cousins at $80+ million look like a bargain. The Redskins are expected to have around $19 million in cap space, so the best case scenario (the $36+ million) still puts them $17 over the cap before they even think about signing anyone new. 

They really, desperately, need Smith and his agent to help them out and renegotiate a new deal that frees up cap space, but doing so without costing Alex Smith cash will be challenging. Alex will want all of his money and figuring out a way to do it wothout incurring a crippling cap hit is difficult, at best.

I think this might be a good year to tank for the Redskins. Take the crippling cap hit as bad as it is. Trade whatever valuable older players you have for draft picks.  (This year's draft and next years.) Draft as many kids as you can, and bring in undrafted free agent kids, and just bite the bullet, get that first overall pick next year, load up on talent then, and be back playing competitive football. Even trade your first round pick this year for multiple lower picks to get more young bodies on the roster. They're just in a really tough spot. At best Alex Smith was a short-term fix. Now he's a disaster. They've got big problems.

@gardenman

I was totally against signing Alex, (although my opinion certainly didn't matter LOL)  he's old and susceptible to injury, and only a quick fix for the QB issue, just a game manager. Now no one could have anticipated an injury as severe as what happened at all!!!--that was just weird...Redskin curse!!!!  But Bruce messed up ROYALLY on the QB issue! 

Woman FrustratedWoman Sad Woman Mad

Some suggested the team bite the bullet and take the big cap hit in 2019 but Allen isn't likely to do it especially when he keeps saying in interviews "how close" the team is....ROFL (close to #1 draft pick or perhaps firing him....)

Here's the QB move I predict Allen makes....goes with Colt MCCoy as starter and re-signs Josh Johnson...dont laugh...Remember, I'm thinking what Bruce is likely to do...Johnson cheap solution and Bruce will rave about Johnson how well he's liked by team mates, and he will be fine with more time with coaches, ota's and a full training camp Woman Frustrated...remember this post!!!!  They'll sign him for league min $915000 loaded with incentives

Esteemed Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 - The GOAT is a good man, good father, good brother & son. He doesn’t call attention to the many good deeds & causes he supports off field, very quietly. He has a good heart. Number 12 is a winner all around & mostly off field and sadly, some people hate him for that. But, in my neck of the woods, there are many many many Pats fans & there are no LA fans that I have encountered. So we will be cheering him on! Go Pats!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Given the Redskins' cap situation they may have no other choice than McCoy and Johnson. I don't think they can afford to target Foles or another free agent. They've got problems.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Speaking of Nick Foles, the latest word out of Philly is that the Eagles won't pick up Foles' $20 million option so he doesn't have to pay $2 million to buy his free agency. They're just going to let him test the market. What will his market be like? I don't know.

I still think he's a really good fit in Denver, but they didn't even look at him last year from what I've gathered. People are talking about Miami and Jacksonville a lot, but Jacksonville is also looking at Flacco and other options. Miami's not really a contender just yet.

The draft experts are now talking about four QB's going in the first round, which if true would take four teams out of the free agent market. You don't buy a high priced free agent and then draft a guy in the first round in most cases. Do teams see Nick as a full time starting QB, or just the right fit in the Eagles system? That "system quarterback" label can really hurt a guy. And bearing in mind the film Nick put down in the preseason and first two games, it's not hard to be a bit of a skeptic if you're a GM.

Nick is a high variance QB who can go toe-to-toe with Tom Brady in a shootout, or lose to a nobody and look really bad doing so. Which Nick Foles would you get?

Who courts him and the price they're willing to pay will be interesting to watch in the coming weeks. If the market bottoms out, he could end up signing on for another stint as the Eagles backup. You just never know. Two or more teams could decide he's perfect for them and a bidding war ensues where Nick ends up the highest paid QB in league history. You just never know what will happen in free agency.

Given the glut of defensive linemen on the market this year, I suspect we'll see them getting below market offers. Do you use the franchise tag on a defensive end this year with that kind of a market? The franchise tag on defensive ends will be around $19 million this year. Do you let your guy go and sign a similar player for $10-$12 million? The last two years have seen a trend where one position gets passed over in free agency and those guys get lesser value contracts than they would in a more competitive year. My money is on defensive ends overly saturating the market this year and getting paid a lot less than they're anticipating.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Agree about the Pro Bowl @gardenman.  Stands were empty. In MLB and NBA, it's a big event. In NFL, a real sleeper. That's the one thing that bugged me about Brett Favre. He was always "injured" and wouldn't play in the Pro Bowl. Seriously?? The guy had a ton of stamina the rest of the season.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Agree about the Pro Bowl @gardenman.  Stands were empty. In MLB and NBA, it's a big event. In NFL, a real sleeper. That's the one thing that bugged me about Brett Favre. He was always "injured" and wouldn't play in the Pro Bowl. Seriously?? The guy had a ton of stamina the rest of the season.

Yeah, there's no real intensity to the game. With the Senior Bowl taking place the same weekend, I kind of like the idea of combining the two. Have the college seniors who will be coming out in the draft, play the best of the NFL guys. That gives the teams a chance to see how the college kids look against real NFL players and the egos of the existing NFL guys will likely motivate them not to be embarrassed by some kids fresh out of college. The college kids will be playing hard hoping to move up in the draft, so at least one side would be doing something.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!