Honored Contributor

Tennis Players noise when hitting the ball?

I enjoy watching tennis; our family has several tennis players in it....am I the only one that can't stand listening to the grunting and groaning when players return the ball? I find it annoying and have been watching the US Open with the sound off. Amazing this habit hasn't always been part of the game, but now it seems to be almost every pro player now. Sharapova is one of the worst.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tennis Players noise when hitting the ball?

Before I learned better, I tended to momentarily hold my breath at the peak of physical exertion.

(such as the moment when my racket hits the ball)

I think a lot of people do, and don't think about it unless they've received professional instruction. I've tried to explain the correct, safer way below.

In physical exercise you should time your exhale to occur at the point of exertion. So yes, you'll hear the grunting and groaning as they exhale on the exertion.

The "noisy" activity isn't habit. Players are now instructed to do this.

This puts more power into their effort, and reduces those deadly, quick spikes in blood pressure.

This goes for all exertion.

I learned to breathe this way for weightlifting.

I also use it when shoveling snow.

Mothers learn a similar technique in lamaze class.

Frequent Contributor

I understand the concept of exhaling on exertion, but that doesn't have to virtually be a scream. I agree that it has gotten ridiculous with some of the players, and the powers that be have no guts. I remember several years ago there was talk of fining the players, but that went nowhere. My enjoyment of the game has been affected to the point that I don't want to watch some excellent players.

Respected Contributor

I don't watch or care about tennis anymore because of that nonsense.

Honored Contributor

I think to have the power to get the ball over that net, that all their energy right down to their toes, is used.  Thus, the grunts.  I couldn't last that long and do all that! Wow.

Trusted Contributor

i get why they do it, but i still find it irritating 

Honored Contributor

Haven't watched a full match since the Jimmy Conners/Bjorn Borg era. I thought they were warned about too much grunting back then. If course, players had to wear white too. The times have changed and I no longer watch their beastly games.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I understand why players make the noise, grunt, or scream at the moment they hit the ball and it honestly doesn't bother me at all.

Respected Contributor

I absolutely detest it and feel it has certainly impacted the "watchability" of tennis. It is unfortunate for the sport. I always root against the "squealers" with the very worst of the lot being Maria Sharapova and Victoria Azarenka. I even told my husband last night I couldn't believe that Sharapova doesn't have vocal cord problems. Woman Surprised She should!

Esteemed Contributor

The same "sounds" occur in many other sports.  Microphones are not as close and the settings not as quiet.  In tennis they want you to hear the ball hitting the racket as a result you hear all noises.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.