Honored Contributor

Sumo Wrestling - the November Tournament

Day 1 is being shown on the NHK network . They usually show it 3 times a day. We DVR to watch at another time, usually right after dinner. If you watch stay tuned for 5 more minutes for "Sumopedia," short segments about the sport. 

The tournament, usually held in Fukuoka, will be held in Tokyo with limited attendance because of the virus. It will last until November 22. 

It's a lot of fun! I got to attend two matches when I taught there. 

A few of us here follow this. @qbetzforreal - will you be watching? 

I'm still rooting for Enho, even if he's a lot smaller than the others. Yokozuna Hakuho had to drop out because he hurt his knee. Ozekis Shodai, Takakeisho, Asanoyama are the top ranked wrestlers. Shodai won the September tournament.

Enjoy!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Sumo Wrestling - the November Tournament

@beach-mom 

I will try to get it online. We spoke about our enjoyment for Sumo awhile back. Thanks for posting. It's really an interesting and enjoyable sport.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS - I remember! You took your son to a tournament and he got his picture with one of the wrestlers! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom- oh yes. Thank you for the heads up!

Respected Contributor

I stumbled across my first ever Sumo match recently. Omg. I hope to never repeat that experience. Ever. 

Honored Contributor

Well - my favorite the young Enho had a rough tournament and will probably be demoted. But he has a lot of fans. People have written to him telling him to gain some weight. 

It's a good tournament. The "Gaijin" are doing OK.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@KBEANS and @qbetzforreal- Did you get to watch? We just watched the last day. I'm glad Terunofuji forced a playoff with Takakeisho. Two strong wrestlers- 403 lbs. vs. 381 lbs. 

Takakeisho never cracked a smile. The most expression I saw from him was when he accepted the Emperor's Cup. And in true Japanese fashion he was humble.

My favorite match was the one between Enho and Tobizaru. Enho came in with a record of 2 wins, 12 losses. When he won this one, Tobizaru looked across at him and smiled. IDK how exactly the rankings work and if he'll be in the next tournament, but I hope he is. The smallest one and at 26, he's got a lot of spirit.

On to the New Year's Tournament on January 10!

I've always enjoyed Sumo, and I knew who the winners were, but I've never been such a "fan" before. Being home most of the time it has given me something to look forward to and learn even more about the traditions and the wrestlers themselves. 

Did you know the top wrestlers can make around $9000 a month, plus prize money and other perks? They are superstars in Japan?  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-momI missed it! Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

@beach-momI missed it! Smiley Sad

@qbetzforreal - There's always January!  Smiley Wink