Honored Contributor

Sumo Wrestling- the May 2021 Tournament

The May Tournament from Tokyo is going on now, May 9 - 23.

I actually thought it was starting this coming Sunday! We're busy with the new reopening guidelines, and meetings are starting in full swing again, so I was busy this past week and not thinking about watching Sumo! But DH was. Although he also had a busy week and we didn't get to interact a whole lot, he casually asked me about it Thursday night. I panicked! Thank goodness our smart TV recorded the previous matches. We can't catch up tonight, but maybe tomorrow!

I hope Tobizaru wins this time!

@qbetzforreal  and @KBEANS - Are you two watching?  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Sumo Wrestling- the May 2021 Tournament

@beach-mom 

Only the online highlights. ENJOY!

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

The May Tournament from Tokyo is going on now, May 9 - 23.

I actually thought it was starting this coming Sunday! We're busy with the new reopening guidelines, and meetings are starting in full swing again, so I was busy this past week and not thinking about watching Sumo! But DH was. Although he also had a busy week and we didn't get to interact a whole lot, he casually asked me about it Thursday night. I panicked! Thank goodness our smart TV recorded the previous matches. We can't catch up tonight, but maybe tomorrow!

I hope Tobizaru wins this time!

@qbetzforreal  and @KBEANS - Are you two watching?  Smiley Happy

@beach-mom- I thought about you when I saw the tournament was on.  I've been able to catch a few highlights.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal and @KBEANS- We caught up a little tonight! We're only on Episode 6, but enjoying it. Episode 4 was good with the takedown of all but one of the undefeated. 

So far one of my favorites is the only undefeated wrestler. Putting in spoiler in case you two haven't seen yet!  Smiley Happy

Spoiler
Terunofuji, who won last season. I had hopes for my favorite Tobizaru, but he's not doing so great!  
Esteemed Contributor

The final should be on tonight.  I watched the highlights last night.  Quite exciting.  I'm not good at remembering the name of the wrestlers, but I do like Kaisei, Shodai and Daieisho.

@beach-mom 

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

The final should be on tonight.  I watched the highlights last night.  Quite exciting.  I'm not good at remembering the name of the wrestlers, but I do like Kaisei, Shodai and Daieisho.

@beach-mom 

@qbetzforreal - We're still catching up! It's just hard to find a time when we can BOTH watch! We're on Episode 12. Some of my favorites faded fast.

I like two of the three you mentioned. I still can't believe Daieisho wasn't disqualified during the championship match in January for pulling Meisei's topknot. I learned there is a panel backstage who DO watch replays in controversial decisions. They relay what they see to the head judge in a mono-ii, and after conferring with the other 4 judges, he may or may not overturn the gyoji's decision. Daieisho got away with it, but this time Teranofuji didn't! I hope in his case it was accidental!

Our cable system really messed up. I have it set to record every new episode. Even though the show SAYS Sumo, it recorded some other Japanese show. We were missing some episodes. Thank goodness we found them on YouTube!

I hope we get a chance to finish tomorrow!  Smiley Happy