Honored Contributor

Sumo Wrestling- the March (Spring) 2021 Tournament

The Spring Tournament will start March 14, and end March 28. It has again been moved to Tokyo because of COVID conditions.

Search NHK Grand Sumo and the preview is up online. We are lucky to get it on Xfinity , starting Sunday evening (we usually DVR).

The wrestlers are in and out battling COVID, but this time some of the Yokozuna will be back. January champion Daieisho will also return. I still can't believe everyone ignored the hair-pulling incident!

Last fall's champion Shodai will be back, as will Tobizaru, one of my favorites.

@qbetzforreal and @KBEANS  - Will you watch?  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sumo Wrestling- the March (Spring) 2021 Tournament

@beach-mom- I was watch NHK and I saw where the tournament was starting.  I will try to catch as much as I can.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom 

My cable company stinks...I don't get it. But  we were able to view some matches the last time, on line.They were not live though. It brings back fun memories of when my son and I went to MSG when he was young! I always appreciate you giving me the heads up. I will try again and hope to be successful!  👍 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS and @qbetzforreal - I hope you got to watch some of the tournament!

My favorite guy won, and my very favorite almost won!

We just watched the last three bouts last night. Easter week is always a busy time for me - a lot to get done.

And once again there was a call missed the final day. At least this time it didn't affect the outcome! I told DH they need instant replay- LOL.

I spent a lot of time learning about  three of the "gaijins" (foreigners), and calling them by their non-Sumo names:

Aoiyama is Daniel from Bulgaria. He is married to an architect, also from Bulgaria, and she is with him in Japan.

Tochinoshin is Levan from Georgia. His wife and 3-year old daughter still live there.

Kaisei is Ricardo from Brazil. He became a Japanese citizen and got married last year.

See you May 9 for the Summer Tournament!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Girlfriend, I applaud you for your diligence in knowing their names and stats! I went on line and viewed some matches earlier on this month when you first alerted us about it. You are really a fan! I already forgot that it ran the entire month. I'm glad you enjoyed it! AAgain, I thank you for always giving me a heads up! 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

Girlfriend, I applaud you for your diligence in knowing their names and stats! I went on line and viewed some matches earlier on this month when you first alerted us about it. You are really a fan! I already forgot that it ran the entire month. I'm glad you enjoyed it! AAgain, I thank you for always giving me a heads up! 

@KBEANS - I'm a curious person by nature. DD always gets annoyed with me, because if we're watching a movie or TV show, and if I have the control, I'll put it on pause to look someone or something up! I won't do it if we're watching a theatrical movie with the sound bar on!

After watching these three wrestlers for a number of tournaments I just wanted to know more about them!  During the matches I would call them by their given names. DH "tolerated" it, and of course HE used their Sumo names!  Smiley Wink