Honored Contributor

Sumo Wrestling- the January 2021 Tournament

[ Edited ]

Day One of the January tournament in Tokyo will be tomorrow, January 10. You will find it on the NHK network . They usually show it 3 times a day. We DVR to watch at another time.

The tournament will last until January 24. Good way to curl up under a blanket and root for your favorite!

@qbetzforreal and @KBEANS - Will you be watching. I'll put a big pot of Sumo Stew on! LOL!  

Should be an interesting one - Enjoy! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Sumo Wrestling- the January 2021 Tournament

I have NO idea what happened when I hit "post"! It looked normal to me before that!  Smiley Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

My son will see if he could get it for us.  🤞We don't get the channel.  I would love to see some matches. Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS - My DS is still home too. It will be fun to watch with him!  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom- thanks for the heads up!

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal - YW! It will be fun to "watch" with you and @KBEANS !  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I see that it is starting at 4:30 PM, but I don't get it with my cable subscription. Will look online. 

Esteemed Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

I see that it is starting at 4:30 PM, but I don't get it with my cable subscription. Will look online. 

@KBEANS @beach-mom - We have only broadcast tv.  NHK World is one of the channels provided by American Public Television.  Aside from the sumo, we enjoy the programs aired on the station.

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom- Don't know if you caught the match.  It was good.

No. 1 Magashira Daisho (L) knocked out No. 5 Okinoumi out of the ring on the final day of the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament and won the championship with a 13–2 record on January 24, 2021 at Ryokoku Gokojikan, Tokyo. (Kyodo)

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal - We just finished watching! We were behind by two, and trying to find a time when both of us were able to watch was hard!

Anyway - I was rooting for Daieisho UNTIL Day 12 when he pulled Meisei's topknot. That's illegal. It looked like they both hit the ground around the same time. The 5 judges were looking at their feet and missed the topknot pull. They don't have instant replay like we do - LOL - and I don't think they ever will. They follow the ancient traditions pretty closely. I just hope it was accidental! He did seem humble in his acceptance speech when he received the Emperor's Cup.

One of my favorites is Tobizaru, even though he didn't do well. He will be demoted a rank and may or may not be in the next tournament. 

I had never before played close attention to kachi-koshi, when a wrestler wins 8 of the 15 matches and is guaranteed to keep his rank and probably be promoted- more money! The opposite is make-kochi, when he loses 8 matches and will probably be demoted.

I learn more and more with each tournament. DH follows it year round, but I don't He laughs when I root for a wrestler because "he looks like a nice guy" I wish I had known something about it when I was sitting in the arena all those years ago!

On to Osaka and the spring tournament in March!  Smiley Happy