Honored Contributor

Sumo Wrestling- The May Tournament 2023

@qbetzforreal , @KBEANS , @Flatbush , and other sumo fans:

March champion Kiribayama, DaieishoTakakeisho, Shodai, Terunofuji (recovered from his knee surgery),  and the guys are back!

May 14 - 28 in Tokyo 

Enjoy!   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Sumo Wrestling- The May Tournament 2023

@beach-mom- I'm watching the tournament right now!

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

I have been enjoying this basho so very much. Seeing Terunofuji has been the high-light for me. He seems so confident and well now.

Esteemed Contributor

@Flatbush- I agree about Terunofuji.  He's on fire!

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 

I think this is one of the most enjoyable Bashos I have seen in quite a while.

However, I was so anxious when Terunofuji was on. I really looked forward to a perfect record for him this time. However one off was still greyt.

His was always the round that I looked forward to. Seeing him take charge with patience, and focus elevated him in other's eyes.

I was amused to see him lauded by many on various forums, who could not wait to criticize him previously. 

I think he will now get the respect he always deserved.

Honored Contributor

@Flatbush and @qbetzforreal - I couldn't open the thread until we finished watching. DH and I watch together, so we have to wait until we're both free. We finished the last two tonight!

Terunofuji proved he is indeed a champion. I couldn't believe how well he did after recovering from surgery on BOTH knees! I loved watching him. 

Asanoyama did well too. He couldn't get any of the awards, such as the "fighting spirit prize" because he has already been an ozeki. He is not climbing the "sumo ladder." 

March's champion Kiribayama did extremely well too. I think he will be promoted to ozeki. Daieisho (the wrestler I didn't like until I read his back story) could be promoted after the July tournament, if he does well. Ryuden just gave up!

I'm sad to see Tochinoshin's retirement. Levan is one of the few Georgians to break into Japanese sumo. Most gaijin rikishi stay and convert their citizenship to Japanese, but  his wife and daughter stayed home, so I'm sure he's happy to be with them again.

IMG_2406.jpeg

My favorite Tobizaru got a kachikoshi at the last minute. At least he won't be demoted! 

See you in July!  Smiley Happy