Honored Contributor

Should Female LAX Players be Required to Wear Helmets?

The entire article is available here:

http://wtop.com/nhl/2017/06/debate-stirs-about-female-lax-players-not-wearing-helmets/

A few notable excerpts:

According to Consumer Product Safety Commission data, lacrosse (both genders) was ranked No. 13 in terms of sports injuries that required trips to the emergency room for athletes between the ages of 13-17. Between 2002 and 2014, there were an average of 5,830 such injuries each year, and the most common injury was to the head ; female athletes were just 26.4 percent of the total.

Kathy Westdorp acknowledged headgear has been a topic of discussion in lacrosse circles for the last few years. As a member of the US Lacrosse women’s rules subcommittee and assistant director of the Michigan High School Athletic Association, she is well aware of the debate. She can also explain the rationale the governing body has against mandating the use of helmets.

“It is because we advocate for participant safety that we are cautious about the value of headgear in girls’ and women’s lacrosse,” Westdorp said. “There are unintended negative consequences including that the use of headgear may fundamentally alter the nature of the game by inviting high contact and may possibly lead to more injury. The conundrum continues to be if requiring female lacrosse players to wear headgear will make the sport safer or, as a result of the phenomenon called risk compensation, actually result in more, rather than fewer, head injuries.”

At least some in the sport, especially those who consider themselves purists, believe boys and men have made lacrosse much more violent at least in part because they wear helmets and shoulder pads.

“It’s just like football,” said Scott Marr, who played at Johns Hopkins and is in his 17th season as men’s lacrosse coach at the University at Albany. He has a daughter, Jordyn, who plays on the Albany women’s team.

“When they didn’t have helmets and they were wearing no facemasks, you didn’t have as many head injuries because you weren’t going after the head,” he said. “I think once you put a helmet on, it’s almost like everybody says, ‘We can go after your head because you have a helmet on.’ I think that’s what they’re trying to avoid.”

Dr. Jeffrey Kutcher, a neurologist and the NBA concussion program director, advises the NFL and NHL Players’ Associations and helped to create the NCAA’s concussion-related policies. He said he has seen female lacrosse players this spring who might have avoided a visit to his clinic if their heads had been protected.

Honored Contributor

Re: Should Female LAX Players be Required to Wear Helmets?

I played lacrosse in high school as well as my daughter.  We didn't wear head gear back then but we all wore a wired face mask.

I didn't know what "lax" was until I read your posting.  Never heard of that word pertaining to lacrosse.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I didn't know what "lax" was until I read your posting.  Never heard of that word pertaining to lacrosse.

@Mz iMac

Interesting-Cat Surprised

I didn't grow up with lacrosse, but my "kids" are very immersed in the culture.  There is the LAX flow, LAX bros, and the big SUVs with LAX stickers everywhere.  

Image result for lax bros

Image result for lax bumper sticker 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono

If any of the now several genders decides not to wear protective head gear, they should sign a waiver saying they take 100% of the responsibility should any head injury occur. 

I had every person in my 52 year Adult Hockey League sign a document, drawn up by an attorney that also was a player and a referee. It contained everything protecting myself and family from any liability from any injury sustained, at any time, once they stepped onto the ice, as the ice rental was acquired with my signature.

What they chose to wear as protective equipment was their call, not mine. Their can be injuries to many parts of ones body by just stepping onto the ice, thus sign my waiver or you do not participate. Simple and straight forward legal waiver. I let player's sons play that were under the legal age, but! Their parent or legal guardian had to sign the waiver.

My worst injuries in my many years of playing and being a hockey referee? Not playing, but as a referee. I chose what to wear for my own protection, and I chose to not wear a helmet, when a referee in my own league games. Other leagues required me to wear a helmet with a "half shield" to protect the face, and I complied.

Never suffered a single internal head injury, but 6 broken noses and a shattered right eye socket. Was I lucky/was I smart to make this choice? In hind sight I do not regret my decision. A helmet with a "half shield" would not have prevented any of my broken nose incidents, and could have possibly made my shattered eye socket even a worse injury.

Unless a League or other Major Organization has rules stating what all participants must wear, I believe a Waiver Option similar to my own Adult Hockey League, must be signed by every participant, be they a player/referee, or in any capacity that put them on, or close to the action of that particular sport.

That's my take on protective sports equipment.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut

Very thorough, as usual! Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

personally I would want to protect myself and my teeth but hey that's how I roll

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I played lacrosse in high school as well as my daughter.  We didn't wear head gear back then but we all wore a wired face mask.

Me either. Coming from SoCal, LAX means only one thing - Los Angeles Intl Airport.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

the abbreviation LAX here on the east coast and especially the mid atlantic area (where lacrosse is VERY popular) is common.

my daughter played lax for a few years during high school.....in school and in our local rec system. she did not wear a mask or helmet. she did wear shin guards and a mouthguard.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

The boys are wearing helmets with face cage and mouthguard.  I thought the girls were wearing eye protection.