Honored Contributor

It is Day 2 of the September tournament, which will last two weeks  I went to two matches when I taught there, and it's a lot of fun to watch!

You can watch on the NHK network, which we get on Comcast. You can also watch online on their website. On Comcast they show it three times a day - usually around noon, evening, and late night. It is broadcast in English and the announcer does a great job of what is going on. Usually after the show they broadcast a 5 minute show that tells something about Sumo wrestling or the wrestlers.

I know a little about it and would be happy to help with any questions you have - if I can! 

"Sumo stew" that the athletes eat to put on weight is delicious!   

Enjoy if you watch!   Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

It is Day 2 of the September tournament, which will last two weeks  I went to two matches when I taught there, and it's a lot of fun to watch!

You can watch on the NHK network, which we get on Comcast. You can also watch online on their website. On Comcast they show it three times a day - usually around noon, evening, and late night. It is broadcast in English and the announcer does a great job of what is going on. Usually after the show they broadcast a 5 minute show that tells something about Sumo wrestling or the wrestlers.

I know a little about it and would be happy to help with any questions you have - if I can! 

"Sumo stew" that the athletes eat to put on weight is delicious!   

Enjoy if you watch!   Smiley Happy

@beach-mom- Funny that you mention this, but I watch the Sumo Wrestling on NHK too.  I enjoy it a lot.

Respected Contributor

I took my son to MSG years ago when someone heard we liked "wrestling"they gave us tickets. 
We didn't know anything about SUMO but we soon learned and thoroughly enjoyed it. I don't know that NHK network, but I'll look on line for it. You brought back a fun memory for me. Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal - Glad you enjoy it too! We watched tonight at 6:30 (eastern time) while we ate. In the 5 minute segment after we learned why they throw salt. I knew it was ceremonial, but I didn't know everything!

@KBEANS - Does your son still enjoy watching and/or following it? DS grew up watching the tournament, but I don't think he'd go out of his way to watch now!  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@beach-mom 
He doesn't follow it these days, but on his trip to Japan he got to meet a Sumo while he was sightseeing, and took a photo with him. 😊 Is the salt having to do with warding off evil spirits? 

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@beach-mom 
He doesn't follow it these days, but on his trip to Japan he got to meet a Sumo while he was sightseeing, and took a photo with him. 😊 Is the salt having to do with warding off evil spirits? 

@KBEANS - That's so great! I never met a wrestler while I was there, although I did walk by one when I saw a match. As I understand it the salt is for purification and to bless the match. I already knew that, as rituals are so important in Japan. But I learned today the wrestlers have different ways of throwing the salt, and there's actually a physical reason too - it helps their palms stay dry and if soothes their skin when they fall. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal - We're coming down to the final two days! Do you have any favorites? I'm hoping for the rookie Tobizaru, but IDK if he can get past Shodai and Asanoyama. I have a soft spot for the little guy Enho. Of course he doesn't have a chance, but it's only two months until the November tournament!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@qbetzforreal - We're coming down to the final two days! Do you have any favorites? I'm hoping for the rookie Tobizaru, but IDK if he can get past Shodai and Asanoyama. I have a soft spot for the little guy Enho. Of course he doesn't have a chance, but it's only two months until the November tournament!  Smiley Wink

@beach-mom- No favorites. I'm starting to recognize the names.  lol I like the show stopper who makes the show out throwing the salt. 

Honored Contributor

I wish they could show more of the preliminaries! The salt throwing is a big part of it, and so is what I call the "sumo stomp"! The wrestlers stand with legs apart and knees bent. Then they stomp their feet hard on the ground to the side. I'm not doing a good job of explaining it, but it's something to see. Then they throw more salt. They go back and forth. The audience goes wild. I think they're trying to psych each other out! We see the highlights, but with all of the ceremonial things the actual event takes all day! The higher ranked wrestlers are usually in the afternoon. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal - My dream match for the final day and the Emperor's Cup: Shodai and Tobizaru! Again, I'm rooting for the rookie, but I think Shodai could take it.  Smiley Happy