Respected Contributor

Question(s) about horse racing

Sorry if this is morbid, but when a great champion dies--Seabiscuit, War Admiral, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, etc.--what do they do with the remains?

I was just reading an article that mentioned they're doing some genetic research on some of the above horses--particularly Seabiscuit--because they saved their hooves and can get genetic material from them.

But horses are BIG animals. what do they do with the rest? I've had the impression that they bury the head and then....? I'd HATE to think they were sent to the glue factory or something.

(An aside: in the movie Young Frankenstein, the reason the horses whinney when Frau Belucher's name is mentioned is that "bluecher" is German for "glue"!!!! lol!)

And speaking of Seabiscuit: one jockey was supposed to ride him in the match race but got hurt and someone else rode him (to victory!) What I wonder is this: if the other jockey had jumped up behind the first one, would that hurt the horse? I don't know how much weight thoroughbreds are able to carry.

TIA!

Honored Contributor

Re: Question(s) about horse racing

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

Sorry if this is morbid, but when a great champion dies--Seabiscuit, War Admiral, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, etc.--what do they do with the remains?

I was just reading an article that mentioned they're doing some genetic research on some of the above horses--particularly Seabiscuit--because they saved their hooves and can get genetic material from them.

But horses are BIG animals. what do they do with the rest? I've had the impression that they bury the head and then....? I'd HATE to think they were sent to the glue factory or something.

(An aside: in the movie Young Frankenstein, the reason the horses whinney when Frau Belucher's name is mentioned is that "bluecher" is German for "glue"!!!! lol!)

And speaking of Seabiscuit: one jockey was supposed to ride him in the match race but got hurt and someone else rode him (to victory!) What I wonder is this: if the other jockey had jumped up behind the first one, would that hurt the horse? I don't know how much weight thoroughbreds are able to carry.

TIA!

@GoneButNotForgotten When a cow or horse dies you get the body hauled away by a plant who processes the remains and makes the hide, bones, whatever meat is good, etc. available for use.  An abattoir. 

If it is a beloved pet, a famous animal, etc.  you simply hire a bull dozer and bury them.

Horses can easily carry two people.  Some don't exactly cotton to the idea and someone may wind up on the ground, but weight is not an issue unless the horse has health problems or injuries or is extremely old.

Honored Contributor

You're right, morbid topic for me as a horse owner, but carry on, it's your thread!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

I have never seen a horse put its "arm" around a person.  What a lovely photo.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

Most of these heroic horses are buried on the farms where they spent their lives, with an appropriate memorial. It's not a difficult task with a backhoe/frontend loader piece of equipment which a big farm would probably have.  The big farms are open to visitors who want to pay homage to these great horses.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had many show horses and each has been buried in designated cemeteries when they died or on the stable grounds which are very expansive.  horses can also be cremated. As far as the genetic testing you reference, that's pretty all done while they are alive. there can be autopsies performed if deemed necessary. 

Valued Contributor

What's worse to me than what happens to the horse after the death ...is a horse race that last only minutes & causes injuries to some.
Just for the sake of racing & in an instant is took behind a trailer & put out if its misery.No more horse racing for me.
We have problems with abuse of animals for our entertainment such as circuses etc.
End result can be the same.
Just my opinion.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GoneButNotForgotten,  My ex husband and his whole family are horse people.  They train, exercise and totally take care of race horses.  Thoroughbred and quarter horses.  Thoroughbreds run longer races and pour on the speed toward the finish line and quarter horses run short all out races.  

In a race, it is determined how much weight each horse will carry.  Of course, the rider, or jockey will weigh around 100 or so pounds.  The rider is weighed and weights are added to the race saddle.  Each rider is weighed holding the saddle and riding tackle.  So that each horse is carrying, say 110 pounds. 

When a race horse is being exercised, trained and so forth, Anyone riding the horse should not weigh over a certain amount, say 115 pounds.  Heavy people do not get on the back of a race horse, and definately not two people.  

Race horses of high breed and are of much value are often times used for stud purposes when they are retired from racing.  They are brought home to live out their lives loved and taken care of.  Others not so fortunate. 

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

You're right, morbid topic for me as a horse owner, but carry on, it's your thread!

then don't read it

Respected Contributor

@red&curly wrote:
What's worse to me than what happens to the horse after the death ...is a horse race that last only minutes & causes injuries to some.
Just for the sake of racing & in an instant is took behind a trailer & put out if its misery.No more horse racing for me.
We have problems with abuse of animals for our entertainment such as circuses etc.
End result can be the same.
Just my opinion.

And not a bad one. :-)